What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2018)?

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Cards that Pappy flight seems like a steal.

I know but we had just dropped $150 on dinner and drinks sooooooo . . . but there's always next time.  Plus it's my wife's favorite restaurant in Louisville so it shouldn't be too hard to talk her into another trip.  Next time I just plan on drinking my dinner. :D  When our waiter said he would ask the bartender I figured he would come back with something north of $75.

Edited by CardsandBourbon
  • I like it 1

Having a really nice Jericho Hill cigar that’s pairing really well a 14 year PS of Knob Creek. Weird but the cigar brings out the sweetness and takes the heat and wood. Not that this barrel needs any help, tons of brown sugar and not over oaked for 14 years. My last 10 year KC PS was way over oaked, not this one.

IMG_6130.JPG

Started raining on the atrium, moved to the garage to finish off the cigar.

IMG_6131.JPG

• I like it 3

I know but we had just dropped $150 on dinner and drinks sooooooo . . . but there's always next time.  Plus it's my wife's favorite restaurant in Louisville so it shouldn't be too hard to talk her into another trip.  Next time I just plan on drinking my dinner. [emoji3]  When our waiter said he would ask the bartender I figured he would come back with something north of $75.

$55 Pappy flights, great restaurants, you’re just giving me more incentives to visit your beautiful state.

Maybe it’s just me but for a flight like that I would want to do it sitting at the bar and a with a clean palate. I agree, there’s always next time.

Tried my new glass glassware with an exceptional dram, I love both of them. Cheers! 

Will.

0A441078-5D60-4CA7-B00E-BC6B4FC64276.thumb.jpeg.750781119e7200e6108670bcdff26d1d.jpeg

• I like it 4

13 hours ago, beasled said:

Had a few SAOS over the years but this just might be the best one yet. 

Screenshot_20190128-192116_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20190128-191905_Photos.jpg

i'm glad I've stocked up of these, the 10 year seems to be my sweet spot, specially the high proof ones, around 120 proof, picked up three low proofers, will open one soon to compare.  Cheers my friend ! 

Will.

• I like it 2

26 minutes ago, DCFan said:

SAOS 99 proof bourbon. I’ve got a half a pour left in this bottle.

Not enough for the cold; finish that one & add to it!!!

39 minutes ago, DCFan said:

SAOS 99 proof bourbon. I’ve got a half a pour left in this bottle.

woops, nevermind

Edited by dcbt

21 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Some 2012 WSR PS tonight. I opened this bottle last month and thought something was off, but couldn't pinpoint what it was other than it was a little harsh and the usual sweetness wasn't there. Wanting another opinion, got a sample to our resident Weller Whore for a professional analysis. Joe agreed it was off, but then last week he texted he had just finished the last of the sample and that it was better. Giving it another shot, I'll be damned but he was right. The BT wheater sweetness was finally there, but it still had a little more bite, which I happened to really like. This is my third pour since Joe's text and each time it's been working very nicely for me. 

Glad I could be of assistance. :)

Biba! Joe          aka Weller Whore, and aka, El Doucé :P

I had a small pour of Weller SR when I got home from work this evening. It'll be something a little higher proof later on after supper. I'll be celebrating. No work tomorrow! Our facility opened in 1991, and this is the first time that work has ever been cancelled or called off for any reason. 

Biba! Joe 

• I like it 2

I had a small pour of Weller SR when I got home from work this evening. It'll be something a little higher proof later on after supper. I'll be celebrating. No work tomorrow! Our facility opened in 1991, and this is the first time that work has ever been cancelled or called off for any reason. 

Biba! Joe 

You and Gary do your best to stay warm up there. I’m glad I’m a little further south where it won’t be quite so cold.

Stagg Jr. batch 10 is helping warm things up this cold evening. 

Edited by Radioyada

Who said wheaters are only for Wednesday?

Trying a few side by side and need to kill off a W12.

IMG_6137.JPG

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I started off with some SB HHSS #2 with a splash of water tonight. May go with some GTS later on, because I too don't have to go to work Wednesday.

The television weather geeks are talking about -55 degree wind chill temps for Wednesday, so my boss finally relented and made tomorrow "optional". I'd already told him earlier this morning that I wasn't coming in tomorrow but would work from home, so it didn't really matter to me. Thursday morning is looking iffy as well so it could be "all barrel strength, all the time" drinking for the next day and a half :) 

• I like it 5

20 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

$55 Pappy flights, great restaurants, you’re just giving me more incentives to visit your beautiful state.

Maybe it’s just me but for a flight like that I would want to do it sitting at the bar and a with a clean palate. I agree, there’s always next time.

Come on up.  Louisville has become a great food destination and the bourbon . . . well what can I say!

Son had to take his car in for service today so after some furniture shopping (he's getting ready to buy a house) and lunch we decided to stop by the Kentucky Artisan Distillery for a tour and tasting.  Neat seeing a smaller operation.  While tasting the owner walked through and thanked us for stopping by.  The tasting was Whiskey Row, Jefferson's Reserve, Jefferson's Ocean, Voyage #16 and Jefferson's Manhattan. 

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Having a really nice Jericho Hill cigar that’s pairing really well a 14 year PS of Knob Creek. Weird but the cigar brings out the sweetness and takes the heat and wood. Not that this barrel needs any help, tons of brown sugar and not over oaked for 14 years. My last 10 year KC PS was way over oaked, not this one.

IMG_6130.JPG

Started raining on the atrium, moved to the garage to finish off the cigar.

IMG_6131.JPG

Nit,

Prior to bourbon I was very into cigars. A Bic lighter can impart very negative flavors into your cigar. Similar to lighter fluid before you grill. Highly recommend a butane lighter (torch or soft flame) that will burn clean.

Come on up.  Louisville has become a great food destination and the bourbon . . . well what can I say!

Son had to take his car in for service today so after some furniture shopping (he's getting ready to buy a house) and lunch we decided to stop by the Kentucky Artisan Distillery for a tour and tasting.  Neat seeing a smaller operation.  While tasting the owner walked through and thanked us for stopping by.  The tasting was Whiskey Row, Jefferson's Reserve, Jefferson's Ocean, Voyage #16 and Jefferson's Manhattan. 

Cards I think you’re getting paid by the Kentucky travel borough.

Nit,

Prior to bourbon I was very into cigars. A Bic lighter can impart very negative flavors into your cigar. Similar to lighter fluid before you grill. Highly recommend a butane lighter (torch or soft flame) that will burn clean.

No sorry I have it sitting on the Bic lighter, that’s to feed the other habit. I have a butane lighter that I use for cigars.
  • I like it 1

3 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Cards I think you’re getting paid by the Kentucky travel borough.

Uhhhhh . . . No Comment!

14 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Nit,

Damn Bob, never heard that, but you can be sure I'll file that in the lettmesee category; thanx...

This was sort of a surprise.  I found Jim Beam Repeal Batch marked way down at a local store.  I bought one to try it; turns out, I really like it.  I went back to collect the stragglers (at an amazing cheap price).  NCF is not a gimmick.  If I had to describe Repeal Batch - it's like the little brother of Distiller's Cut, or if JB tried to make their version of FRYL.  

• I like it 2

23 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Spent the weekend in Louisville (two basketball games and a friends birthday dinner).  Saturday afternoon ballgame, then checked into the Bourbon Inn B & B.  Dinner at Porcini's where I had a pour of ER.  Buddy of mine ordered a pour of PVW 12 Lot B, which he graciously allowed me to sample.  Waiter checked and said we could get a Pappy flight (12, 15 & 20 y.o.) for $55.  Wanted to do it but had to pass this time.  Returned to the B & B where you could do your own pour in their 2nd floor bar area on the honor system.  $6 for a copious pour of WTRB 108 proof.  Sunday afternoon game and then last night at home enjoyed some CEHT SmB.

The wife and I had our rehearsal dinner at Porcini's many moons ago. It is one of our favorite places to go when we are back in town visiting family. $55 for that flight isn't a bad deal IMO.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.