What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2018)?

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Enjoying this one tonight. Did someone mention this has more rye than the OS 10 yr., and/or OS 10 yr. single barrel?

a9vzyo0.jpg

7VKO5KM.jpg

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Single barrels so they dump them when they dump them, not to mention they were likely bought in lots from MGP and I doubt the organized them by barrel number when they got to WV, not to mention being 4 barrel's apart they very much could have been filled on the same day if they are using MGP's barrel numbers. If they are using something in house it's a bit different but most places go with more of an it's ready when it's ready approach than first one in first one out.

Yeah, I saw the out of sequence.:)

• I like it 1

On 1/22/2019 at 7:27 AM, MTNBourbon said:

Really nice, a notch or two above the single barrel 10yr. old.

Just reread this, should have just been the OS 10 yr. The OS Single Barrel, 10 yr. is a notch or two above.

Had my first pour of the Old Ezra 7 y.o. BS last night at trivia.  I really need to find a bottle of this.  Nice legs in the glass, good amount of color, a hot caramel on the front of the tongue and a sweeter finish at the back.  Best part, I asked the bartender (owners son who I'm friends with) how much for a pour and he said $8.00.

• I like it 1

85B6FC5B-593B-4274-877A-BE7D53EDDDC2.thumb.jpeg.184c00dc4b01f3e55ac62526cdb66f6d.jpeg

Back to the Smooth Ambler stuff, so happy to have a back up of this one, pretty stellar to me. Cheers! 

Will.

• I like it 3

I'm having a couple of small pours of EHT Small Batch this evening. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Enjoying the last pour of my 2017 ER Friends of the Trace single barrel. Not really any better than some of the other bottles of ER I've had, but that still means it's very, very good.

Cracked open a sample I got from a friend a while back.... 1978 Early Times. It's amazingly viscous for an 80 proof whiskey, and a bit tannic, but a hell of a lot better than the modern Early Times stuff.

Big job interview tomorrow. Calming the nerves with a little WTRRSiB. Nightcap coming in with OF1910. Wish me luck.

• I like it 5

10 minutes ago, BMartin42 said:

Big job interview tomorrow. Calming the nerves with a little WTRRSiB. Nightcap coming in with OF1910. Wish me luck.

Best of luck

• I like it 1

I had a small pour of this while watching my Spartans make a nice comeback on the road over a ranked Iowa team.

I was getting a lot of banana on the nose out of this one tonight.

BD057B9D-6C4F-4435-B0DF-F3260E1970C1.jpeg

I've just discovered that when I have a head cold, the current Old Fitz BIB tastes better than ever!

On 1/23/2019 at 10:40 PM, MTNBourbon said:

Enjoying this one tonight. Did someone mention this has more rye than the OS 10 yr., and/or OS 10 yr. single barrel?

a9vzyo0.jpg

7VKO5KM.jpg

1) that is some damn fine bourbon

2) It is my understanding that the 7/99 was batched using MGPs ‘high rye’ 65/36/4 mash though I could be mistaken. 

I’ve got one left and am hanging on to it!

• I like it 2

6 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

2) It is my understanding that the 7/99 was batched using MGPs ‘high rye’ 65/36/4 mash though I could be mistaken. 

It is pretty tasty. Got this dryness to it like a rye, well at least to me. This is my only bottle of it, and I sat on it for probably over 2 years. Drinking some right now.

Edited by MTNBourbon

1 minute ago, Mako254 said:

Setting a blind for myself. 03RB from ‘11 and 116.8 from Sept ‘18. 

C9C05C26-CBD8-4893-AC46-6E82C90E9128.jpeg

I've never had either one.

Tonight's menu: Healthy pour of ECBP A118 when I got home from work. That was followed by a small pour of 1792 SB as a night cap. I will let you all decide which was the better pour this evening.

P.S. It isn't a hard decision.

Had a 4RSB to start off. Just poured some Stagg Jr. Batch 9. Great mouthfeel and finish on this one. 

3 hours ago, Mako254 said:

It was my understanding that the 7's were the high rye (36%) and the 10's were the low rye (21%).  I think the single barrels were thought to be more skewed towards teh high rye but they could have been either.

• I like it 1

I've just discovered that when I have a head cold, the current Old Fitz BIB tastes better than ever!

Gary - that doesn’t exactly make me want to try some.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.