What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2018)?

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

42 minutes ago, BigRich said:

Gary - that doesn’t exactly make me want to try some.

Understandable, it's certainly not a ringing endorsement. This particular bottle has been open for a couple of years and I want to like it, but I always end up comparing it to the old DSP-16 (as far as my limited memory allows) which isn't fair. However, even though I've got a cold, I still wanted a pour. Figured I'd go with this Old Fitz and if my taste buds were way out of whack and I ended up pitching the pour, not a big loss. The enjoyment of it was a very pleasant surprise.

It didn't help my cold, but I think I'll keep it around as my official "under the weather" bottle.

18 hours ago, Vosgar said:

I've just discovered that when I have a head cold, the current Old Fitz BIB tastes better than ever!

I trust you are not letting this opportunity go to waste!

I'm having just the opposite effect Gary. I too, have a head cold. I just cracked a fresh bottle of 10 yr old EC single barrel from TPS. It's really not tasting very good.  I'll put it away for another day.

This WT 1855 Reserve is absolutely incredible. 

The 12 is actually fairly disappointing. It is good, but it's lacking the signature WT spice/boldness. 

20190126_165218.jpg

• I like it 7

The 12 is actually fairly disappointing. It is good, but it's lacking the signature WT spice/boldness. 
20190126_165218.thumb.jpg.22f54384e6e710ea8e3c42307c57ef7d.jpg

This picture reaffirms Pavlov. My mouth literally watered at the sight of all those expressions together in one place.

20190126_165218.thumb.jpg.22f54384e6e710ea8e3c42307c57ef7d.jpg

Very cool lineup.

If y’all haven’t gotten aholt of a late summer/fall Rare Breed yet, get on it. 

06BCF7A4-3CBE-4AAF-8DBC-0B596A847FFC.jpeg

• I like it 6

Moved from some 4R SiBs bottled in 2016, an OBSQ and OBSF, to OF 1920. The 1920 drinks like water. I love the flavor of the 20 but there’s just nothing that matches the thick syrupy mouthfeel of a good 4R SiB. 

34 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

W12.  Can't go wrong with this one. 

Cheers. 

I’m having a night cap pour or two of Weller 12 myself. But.....

Earlier this evening, I attended my companies annual awards banquet. I had a pour of MM to start the evening there. :mellow: Fortunately for myself and a co-worker who is also into bourbon, the bartender in our banquet room side bar found a bottle of BT. Our choice of BT drew the interest of a couple other co-workers. Long story short, by the end of the evening, that bottle of BT was empty. :D

FWIW, I received two awards this evening. The first was for my perfect attendance. For 24 years. :o  The second award was for my quality. I had an error rate of less than 1 error for every 10,000 lines that I processed over the last year. I don’t really mean to brag, but I’m really proud of both of those accomplishments. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 12

^^^^

Those accomplishments do deserve kudos & a nice pour of Weller 12.  Congrats. 

Cheers

BTW Joe,  I have been meaning to ask you. When you make up a batch of Your Weller Centennial Blend, do you mix the same ratios each time or adjust each component to your preference?

Also, do you pick out W12, WSR, OWA bottles that stand out to your taste buddies or whatever you have available?  

Thanks

-Wedel

5 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

20190126_165218.jpg

Very Jealous 

1 hour ago, Mako254 said:

If y’all haven’t gotten aholt of a late summer/fall Rare Breed yet, get on it. 

06BCF7A4-3CBE-4AAF-8DBC-0B596A847FFC.jpeg

So, are you finding a parallel to the improved summer 2018 WT101?

Started the evening out with some RR SiB store pick earlier tonight while watching a documentary about Freddie Mercury with the wife.  She's gone to bed and now I'm having some other pours.  Finished my 4R 130th sample and moving on to an OESK store pick.  I might go back to the Russell's after that.

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

So, are you finding a parallel to the improved summer 2018 WT101?

Yes. Both lines got some older stock. 

My Saturday night started with finishing off an open bottle BT (one pour).  I think I have found a place locally where BT will be readily available, had been striking out in that search recently. Next I had two pours of EC.  Not a bad way to enjoy the warm comfort of a fireplace on a cold January evening.  

I’m having the first ever pour from my infinity bottle this afternoon. Equal parts Blanton’s SFTB, Gold & SiB, RHF, ETL, CEHT SiB and SB, OFBB, Stagg Jr #8&9, Blood Oath 4, WT Decades, W12, OWA, WSR, Noah’s Mill, MWND, and WhistlePig. It’s delicious. 

9A3E0760-0FEC-4B2E-A70C-872EEE7CA485.thumb.jpeg.aa1b0c022b428d8ee0b09c7377e8c431.jpegI opened anew batch of Belle Meade (12), and although not as good as batch 8, its good. I just don't think Ill buy another.

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 3

Last sip from a Maker’s Mark Cask Strength with a burning sunset ain’t a bad way to finish up this weekend.

2F0BD4E0-6695-4B20-BB76-2FADC01C0C5D.jpeg

• I like it 5

9A3E0760-0FEC-4B2E-A70C-872EEE7CA485.thumb.jpeg.aa1b0c022b428d8ee0b09c7377e8c431.jpegI opened anew batch of Belle Meade (12), and although not as good as batch 8, its good. I just don't think Ill buy another.

Totally agree with this. It’s good whiskey but for the price I have a number of other similarly aged and proofed whiskeys I’d go for.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.