What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2018)?

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

19 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

You brought your own glass? Did you try it watered down to bottle proof?

Both. I drank more barrel proof than watered down. Glens were not provided. 

• I like it 1

Just now, jodytek said:

Feeling so conflicted this evening. Bourbon or Rye?

IMG_4110.jpg

^^^^^ HA!  :lol: ^^^^^

I’m having a OF1920. I don’t know what it is, but it seems a bit....off. I know some have stated a “fake ness” to it. I didn’t catch it initially. Not sure if it’s been all the various BT products I’ve been going through since I cracked the OF or just that it’s been open a while, but it is t as good as I originally remember it. 

Haven't been feeling well for most the of week, so tonight was the first trips to the cabinet since Sunday. Decided it was best to ease back into things with some BT Single Barrel and some HH 6yr BIB. Hope to be back up to full speed and full proof over the weekend.

6 minutes ago, marshall9779 said:

IMG_2368.jpg

All these years and I still haven't had this. How do the new vintages compare to ~2004?

7 minutes ago, Kane said:

All these years and I still haven't had this. How do the new vintages compare to ~2004?

Undrinkable, sorry to say. 

• I like it 1

I'm having a few small pours each of WT101 and a store pick BT. These are both so dang good while being very different. I wish I would've grabbed 2 handles of this BT instead of just 1. 

4R OBSF, many layers to this one, a perfect sit and savor pour this Thursday evening.

Just crawled into bed with Uncle Joe’s 2018 Weller Blend. Thanks Joe!!! B)

• I like it 1

This now only my second bottle and both were 2010 so I can’t compare. It’s ok for the price. I think both time I got them on sale for $19.99.

Remember, they are single barrels, so some may not be as good as others. I’ve actually had some pretty good ones in the 2008 and 2009 vintage. I can’t remember if I bought any 2010 vintage or not. I’ve got 2005-2007 vintages as well, and those are closer to 10 years old if I remember correctly. I didn’t get into them early enough to get any of the earlier years, but I have tasted a few. If I remember correctly, I think you have a few (many) of the earlier years, so the current vintages are probably disappointing by comparison, but saying they are undrinkable is probably a little harsh.

4 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Had a 2010 that was definitely drinkable

13 hours ago, Supercharger said:

I’m having a OF1920. I don’t know what it is, but it seems a bit....off. I know some have stated a “fake ness” to it. I didn’t catch it initially. Not sure if it’s been all the various BT products I’ve been going through since I cracked the OF or just that it’s been open a while, but it is t as good as I originally remember it. 

Well, the more it breathed, the more it became a chore to finish. I’m a bit bummed as I liked this one originally and have two bottles in the basement. I’ll have to revisit them in a few months and see if I still feel the same way. 

I typically refrain from imbibing (at all) on weekdays, but had something to celebrate yesterday. I worked every single day of January this year, and yesterday got a healthy bonus tied to that work, which I used to pay off the last of my student loans. The sense of freedom is palpable. I feel like a new man!

Went with a tall pour of the 2018 Lot B to celebrate the occasion — as it was the best open bottle I have. 

I had the 2017, which was great, but I’ve got to say, the 2018 was quite a bit better than what I recall from that bottle. It has a fantastic soft fruitiness in the nose and palate, which reminded me of craisins and cinnamon apple, and much more pronounced (but not overdone) oakiness than I remember. Nice medium finish with werthers candy, and oaky vanilla bean. Incredibly drinkable.

My bottle’s down to the last ~2”, so I will probably finish it off this weekend, along with adding a small pour to my infinity bottle.

Edited by BigSkyDrams
  • I like it 9

14 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Remember, they are single barrels, so some may not be as good as others. I’ve actually had some pretty good ones in the 2008 and 2009 vintage. I can’t remember if I bought any 2010 vintage or not. I’ve got 2005-2007 vintages as well, and those are closer to 10 years old if I remember correctly. I didn’t get into them early enough to get any of the earlier years, but I have tasted a few. If I remember correctly, I think you have a few (many) of the earlier years, so the current vintages are probably disappointing by comparison, but saying they are undrinkable is probably a little harsh.

All good points Jeff, but this 2010 is absolutely benign-- no harshness intended.

• I like it 1

I picked up two of these today. It's 14yr 2mo old from the 5th floor and it's fantastic. 

20190301_183425.jpg

• I like it 4

I picked up two of these today. It's 14yr 2mo old from the 5th floor and it's fantastic. 
20190301_183425.thumb.jpg.c55e07b860bf5b32727d6dc21175a92d.jpg

Like the new label.

8 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Like the new label.

Me too. It's pretty slick. The store sticker looks like it belongs instead of just being slapped on like most 

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

All good points Jeff, but this 2010 is absolutely benign-- no harshness intended.

I will back you up on this, he did ask "how does it compare" and you are 100% right. Now I'm sure its ok, but no comparison.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.