What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2018)?

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

After a couple of others, standard BT is a great way to settle in and watch a 1986 Queen concert. Just never really disappoints.

On 2/28/2019 at 12:39 PM, Mako254 said:

Both. I drank more barrel proof than watered down. Glens were not provided. 

I love it. Proper glassware is key. 

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

Me too. It's pretty slick. The store sticker looks like it belongs instead of just being slapped on like most 

I did not like the metal plate store pick “sticker”

at all. This looks much better

• I like it 1

Now that I am trying to settle back into my normal bourbon routine, I figured I should do it right. Started the evening with some Old Fitz 9yr BIB. While it is good, it has not grown on me like some other seem to like it. It is still very good bourbon, just seemed to be a little over hyped. Speaking of over hyped, my second pour was 2018 CEHT Four Grain. Again, a good whiskey, just not as good as everyone seem to make it out to be. I might try it with a little water the next time I go for a pour.

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I picked up two of these today. It's 14yr 2mo old from the 5th floor and it's fantastic. 

20190301_183425.jpg

I was a little slow to act and it looks like I missed out on that one. 

1 hour ago, JoeTerp said:

I was a little slow to act and it looks like I missed out on that one. 

I think they sold out (162 bottles) in about 3 hours. 

4 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

I think they sold out (162 bottles) in about 3 hours. 

Going by to pick mine up today.

A very healthy pour of The Black Prince at Congress Street Social club in Savannah. 

09419109-C66E-494B-A06F-7AB97911B491.jpeg

• I like it 3

26 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

D4022660-FC6B-4894-8E32-AFAAF4C8F578.jpeg

Im going to pick #3 or #5......:rolleyes:

Edited by LCWoody

On 3/1/2019 at 6:39 PM, JCwhammie said:

I picked up two of these today. It's 14yr 2mo old from the 5th floor and it's fantastic. 

20190301_183425.jpg

Just opened mine. This is a very elegant feeling KC. The mouth feel is outstanding. It tastes even older than it is. It has almost a bit of that old dusty taste to it. The Beam nut/funk is pretty light which is a positive for me. The only nitpicking negative is a tiny bit of bitterness on the finish.

On 2/28/2019 at 10:19 AM, HoustonNit said:

You brought your own glass? Did you try it watered down to bottle proof?

You have to bring your own glasses because BT is cheap and only provides one per barrel for the whole group.

You have to bring your own glasses because BT is cheap and only provides one per barrel for the whole group.

This is fascinating, are other barrel programs like this?

5 minutes ago, flahute said:

I've never understood why BT does that. IIRC, they're the last of the big distilleries to give free tours when they could be raking in $$ like the rest of them, so why do they skimp on glassware for barrel selections? Hell, even cheap plastic shot glasses would be better than going the "common cup" route. I've told them what I think about it, but obviously it doesn't matter. I'm a big BT fan, but they really let me down when it comes to barrel selections.

23 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Nope. Every other one provides individual glasses and even multiples so you can do side by sides of all the barrels.

18 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

No

Unless they've changed in the last couple of years, Four Roses has a very nice tasting room where each person has their own Glencairns and they provide one glass for each barrel. If the group was tasting 10 barrels, every person had 10 glasses. 

16 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

I've never understood why BT does that. IIRC, they're the last of the big distilleries to give free tours when they could be raking in $$ like the rest of them, so why do they skimp on glassware for barrel selections? Hell, even cheap plastic shot glasses would be better than going the "common cup" route. I've told them what I think about it, but obviously it doesn't matter. I'm a big BT fan, but they really let me down when it comes to barrel selections.

Yeah, it makes no sense. I guess it's part of the "800 lb. gorilla" factor that I've mentioned a number of times. They can be as cheap and inconsiderate as they want and everyone will still come begging for an OWA barrel.

Back on topic.....

After going darkside earlier tonight, settling in with some WT Tradition. Outstanding as always

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

Just opened mine. This is a very elegant feeling KC. The mouth feel is outstanding. It tastes even older than it is. It has almost a bit of that old dusty taste to it. The Beam nut/funk is pretty light which is a positive for me. The only nitpicking negative is a tiny bit of bitterness on the finish.

I pretty much agree with the way you described it. I'm really happy with this barrell. 

WT12 SBS, a freshly cracked '06 from Europe vs a 2012 blue label from Asia that's been opened (and gassed) for what  must be a couple years now.  They are very similar but if I'm contrasting, the '06 is a bit creamier on the mouthfeel but also is oakier and tastes like it might have more older whiskey in there.  They are both fantastic examples of well crafted whiskey.

• I like it 4

WT12 SBS, a freshly cracked '06 from Europe vs a 2012 blue label from Asia that's been opened (and gassed) for what  must be a couple years now.  They are very similar but if I'm contrasting, the '06 is a bit creamier on the mouthfeel but also is oakier and tastes like it might have more older whiskey in there.  They are both fantastic examples of well crafted whiskey.

No WT101 12yr but finishing off an export 8yr. The 2nd half was really nice once it opened up. Decent spice and WT sweetness. I’d put it up there with a good RR SB.
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.