What bourbon did you pass on winter/spring 2019?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I saw a 2018 PHC today. I asked what the price was and was told $280 + tax. I said that wasn’t even close and walked out

10 hours ago, AndyD said:

How much were these?  Can you share which store they were at?

A situation like this, private messages come in handy.  ?

• I like it 1

Since discovering Eagle Rare a few weeks ago, I've been on the look out for my next bottle (first one has a hole in it and is slowly evaporating, haha) and found 6 on the shelf today...for the low low price of $69.99

No thank you..

• I like it 1

WSR  at 2 different stores ON THE SHELVES!!!!! Easy pass for me, I didn't like it in the old bottle at the old price (9.99) stacked floor to ceiling and.....well beyond the bottle and price, nothing has changed LOL!!

• I like it 1

I posted last month about a store that had the PVW 6 pack for $7499. Today I stopped at another of their locations and saw they had the same "deal" there, along with a BTAC package. If only I had a spare $12,000 in my wallet  :D

pvw.jpg

btac.jpg

• I like it 1

FR Small Batch Select.....$84.99.  I REALLY want to try it, but not that bad.  If it had been $60 I'd probably have pulled the trigger but that's just gougery....Picked up a FRSB instead.

I've been tempted a few times on some of the pacts but it's still a pass.

20190510_180603-784x1613.jpg

The wife showed up with a BO Pact 5 the other day....don't want to know how much she paid.   What gets me is that this box is unfinished and crappily constructed.  The cover is an effort to move and it's definitely not square unlike the other Oath boxes I've seen.  Maybe they put the money they saved into the bourbon inside. 

Edited by pyro273
edit for clarity
  • I like it 1

I've been tempted a few times on some of the pacts but it's still a pass.
20190510_180603-784x1613.thumb.jpg.94d8a8c4f006d56290083473185da627.jpg

Looks like the price went up, no thanks.

2 hours ago, Vosgar said:

I posted last month about a store that had the PVW 6 pack for $7499. Today I stopped at another of their locations and saw they had the same "deal" there, along with a BTAC package. If only I had a spare $12,000 in my wallet  :D

pvw.jpg

btac.jpg

Excuse me sir, can you show me where the Rare Breed is?

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Vosgar said:

3 hours ago, pyro273 said:

FR Small Batch Select.....$84.99.  I REALLY want to try it, but not that bad.  If it had been $60 I'd probably have pulled the trigger but that's just gougery....Picked up a FRSB instead.

I hope everyone takes note of these stores and remembers them when the bubble inevitably bursts.  I will laugh out loud at these stores and probably talk to the store owners &  managers to remind them of the choices they made.  Karma.

• I like it 4

19 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

WSR  at 2 different stores ON THE SHELVES!!!!! Easy pass for me, I didn't like it in the old bottle at the old price (9.99) stacked floor to ceiling and.....well beyond the bottle and price, nothing has changed LOL!!

I still just don't get it.  I mean - I do get that folks liked it at $10 or even $15 (I wasn't one of them, but different strokes) because the market back then didn't have a lot of wheater options; and at half the price of Maker's Mark - problem solved.  Now to be more expensive than Maker's Mark (which I prefer in a blind SBS) . . . I don't get it.  Although to be clear - not judging those that do (I know @fishnbowljoe loves the stuff!)  Hell, I don't get Korean Pop, but apparently I'm "missing out" according to the news :) 

Back on topic - I also passed on WSR which was marked down from $29.99 to $25.99.  This store had some strange pricing (picked up an ECBP for $60, but they had a Bookers for $100+; and just plain ol' Bookers!)  Guess they know their local market, as they had a pretty decent selection for the area.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Kepler said:

I hope everyone takes note of these stores and remembers them when the bubble inevitably bursts.  I will laugh out loud at these stores and probably talk to the store owners &  managers to remind them of the choices they made.  Karma.

That bubble ain't bursting anytime soon so make other plans. ;) 

• I like it 1

Looks like the price went up, no thanks.

The price has gone up substantially from Pact #4, but that price is still well below the new MSRP, which I believe is $149.

3 hours ago, GaryT said:

I still just don't get it.  I mean - I do get that folks liked it at $10 or even $15 (I wasn't one of them, but different strokes) because the market back then didn't have a lot of wheater options; and at half the price of Maker's Mark - problem solved.  Now to be more expensive than Maker's Mark (which I prefer in a blind SBS) . . . I don't get it.  Although to be clear - not judging those that do (I know @fishnbowljoe loves the stuff!)  Hell, I don't get Korean Pop, but apparently I'm "missing out" according to the news :) 

Back on topic - I also passed on WSR which was marked down from $29.99 to $25.99.  This store had some strange pricing (picked up an ECBP for $60, but they had a Bookers for $100+; and just plain ol' Bookers!)  Guess they know their local market, as they had a pretty decent selection for the area.

Agreed and it is unfortunate for the genuine fans of SR. I actually can and did appreciate it for a very specific use. Back in the day when SR and W12 sat on shelves one could buy one of each and as a SBS, same proof, same distillate separated only by age it was a VERY instructional tasting. With rye removed from the equation a taster could experience what additional aging brought to the party, for better or worse depending on that tasters preference. Then a rye recipe at 90p but with decent age 8+ could demonstrate ryes attributes. I used to love to do that especially with folks that were new and curious about the whole bourbon “thing”.  Several new enthusiasts sprang from such tastings. But I digress. Back on topic, passed pretty much everything as I searched a spot that had OE 101 7 yr. on closeout, alas they have no more.

• I like it 5

16 hours ago, GaryT said:

At this point my take is that there is less in common between the different wheaters than there is between say WSR and BT or Larceny and say EC. If I was going to pick a "value" pick wheater it would probably be David Nicholson at this point but the HH wheated profile is very much my preference. I'm far from a fan boy but I'd take WSR over Maker's, there is something about Makers that just doesn't work for me I find it heavy on the acetone.

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

At this point my take is that there is less in common between the different wheaters than there is between say WSR and BT or Larceny and say EC. If I was going to pick a "value" pick wheater it would probably be David Nicholson at this point but the HH wheated profile is very much my preference. I'm far from a fan boy but I'd take WSR over Maker's, there is something about Makers that just doesn't work for me I find it heavy on the acetone.

IMHO, I don’t consider David Nicholson a value pour. Not too long ago I could find it for $15.99 a bottle.  I saw one recently that was $29.99. The price for MM (at decent stores) has remained pretty constant @ $24.99 for what has seemed like ages. The same can be said for WSR. After a small price increase a few years ago, the price has remained around $24.99. I haven’t seen the Weller price increase here. Yet. Sadly, I do know it’s on the way though. <_< 

Biba! Joe

12 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

IMHO, I don’t consider David Nicholson a value pour. Not too long ago I could find it for $15.99 a bottle.  I saw one recently that was $29.99. The price for MM (at decent stores) has remained pretty constant @ $24.99 for what has seemed like ages. The same can be said for WSR. After a small price increase a few years ago, the price has remained around $24.99. I haven’t seen the Weller price increase here. Yet. Sadly, I do know it’s on the way though. <_< 

Biba! Joe

Yep, here, the only LS that ever seems to get any WSR, has gone from $24.99 to $34.99 and now to $39.99.  Still less than what others have reported elsewhere (possibly a result of being in a control state), but it’s certainly much less of a comparable value now.

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

I picked up a bottle of DN1843 when the ABC had it on clearance a couple of years ago  for $15 which was half off. I thought it was great for $15 but I wouldn’t have been happy paying $30.

Edited by DCFan

Since when has Stagg Jr. and Peerless been LS trophy case contenders?  Both used to be on the shelf at my usual LS but I guess no more.  The counter clerk wasn't around so I couldn't ask how much but as the adage goes, "if you have to ask..."

1 hour ago, pyro273 said:

Since when has Stagg Jr. and Peerless been LS trophy case contenders?  Both used to be on the shelf at my usual LS but I guess no more.  The counter clerk wasn't around so I couldn't ask how much but as the adage goes, "if you have to ask..."

Ya never know pyro. One place here only gets VOB 100 proof in every so often. It’s priced very reasonably at $16.99 a bottle. They usually only get two or three bottles at a time, and because of that, they keep it behind the counter. :mellow:

Biba! Joe

38 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Ya never know pyro. One place here only gets VOB 100 proof in every so often. It’s priced very reasonably at $16.99 a bottle. They usually only get two or three bottles at a time, and because of that, they keep it behind the counter. :mellow:

Biba! Joe

Then that gives me a shred of hope that they might be reasonably priced ?  I'll ask next time I'm in but I'm not holding my breath....

6 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

DN is under $25 here basically the same as Maker's, more often than not Maker's would cost a couple bucks more, don't really ever see WSR around here when OWA was on the shelf it would be around $25 but it's been a while since I have seen a bottle. 

VOB100 used to be $14 here and plentiful. Only ever see 80 now and it’s almost $25. I have three bottles, but I don’t find it worth more than $17. Any more than that, I’m buying WT101 as a daily. 

• I like it 1

I am really liking the recent WSR bottles something 5 years ago I couldn't say.  I prefer OWA>WL12>WSR>Makers>Larceny.  I can't even drink Larceny anymore.  If I see a new bottle of WSR @ $25 or slightly higher for the 1 liter, I am a buyer.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.