What bourbon did you pass on winter/spring 2019?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Baby Saz is quite common in Texas.

I’d absolutely flip to have that bottle of KS... and at that price.. Back up the truck!

Passed on a bunch, mostly because I also bought a bunch (see the purchase thread.

Passed  on Heaven's Door 10 for $125, EHTSmB for $40, EHTRye for $70, Baby Saz for $25. Don't remember what else. Was the first time they didn't have Blanton's on the shelf.

20190413_131857-784x1613.jpg

Darn, one of my main stores raised prices on all BT products. BT $39.99. ER $44.99 and CEHT small batch $59.99. I can’t believe the market is so crazy that anybody pays these kind of BS prices. If this keeps up you will see me in the Scotch section. 

• I like it 1

Went out with the wife tonight and decided to pass on the bourbon and wait until I get home. It’s funny how restaurants price there bourbon. Weller 12 more expensive that WLW. “Blended” blanton’s lol. I’m sure the HMK will get a price hike soon. 

7D7B4F63-92C1-4DDC-BE09-7089C21A6B27.jpeg

• I like it 1

10 minutes ago, Adam777 said:

Went out with the wife tonight and decided to pass on the bourbon and wait until I get home. It’s funny how restaurants price there bourbon. Weller 12 more expensive that WLW. “Blended” blanton’s lol. I’m sure the HMK will get a price hike soon. 

But...its WL Weller Reserve 12 Year!  $69...smdh.

1 hour ago, Adam777 said:

I feel like Elijah Craig 

& Stagg JR might be the winners here. 

But yeah, whiskey menus tend to be a great source of entertainment for me as well. :)

I passed on this tonight, assuming there generous 1/2 oz pours I don’t think it’s a bad deal. Something like this though I want to do at the bar.

IMG_6546.thumb.JPG.bf91a025b7868cf64f3114003f544b46.JPG

6 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I passed on this tonight, assuming there generous 1/2 oz pours I don’t think it’s a bad deal. Something like this though I want to do at the bar.

Weird flight...a wheated bourbon, a rye, and a rye bourbon. But what is 10 year Van Winkle Rye??  Do they mean ORVW 10 or VWFR 13 Year Rye?  About the only thing those three things have in common is they are distilled at BT.

Weird flight...a wheated bourbon, a rye, and a rye bourbon. But what is 10 year Van Winkle Rye??  Do they mean ORVW 10 or VWFR 13 Year Rye?  About the only thing those three things have in common is they are distilled at BT.

Yeah I agree. The ten year is ORVW. I think they made a flight out of some of the higher end BT bottles. I’m sure some version of this flight exists and changes with existing stock.

9 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Beyond the issue that there is no VW 10 yr rye I have a problem with non pappy whiskies being marketed as “pappy” there are only 3 pappy whiskies 15, 20, 23. There is enough confusion in this f’d up market without people clouding the issue by rebranding other van winkle expressions as pappy. Pet peeve yes and I dont care one way or another if I ever encounter another pappy ( I like it well enough but I am a rye guy). I am just growing ever more tired of the BS and misinformation out there. If they don’t know what they are serving how do you know what you are getting?

• I like it 4

On 4/13/2019 at 12:24 PM, HoustonNit said:

Baby Saz is quite common in Texas.

That’s what everyone used to say about Wellers too not that long ago.

22 hours ago, hollywood said:

I’d absolutely flip to have that bottle of KS... and at that price.. Back up the truck!

Isn't that pretty much the standard price for KS? Without the old bottle its lost some of its value for me. It's not that far off from WT101 and over twice the price. Do love the old Turkey feather bottle though.

Not all Wellers are hard to find. Weller Special Reserve is quite easy to find in several states. It’s the other Wellers that are difficult to find. Baby Saz has always been easy to find at a price below $30 in my area, which is as it should be since it’s good, but nothing special.
  • I like it 1

WSR is even more common here.

5 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Not all Wellers are hard to find. Weller Special Reserve is quite easy to find in several states. It’s the other Wellers that are difficult to find. Baby Saz has always been easy to find at a price below $30 in my area, which is as it should be since it’s good, but nothing special.

So it's moving from 3 common down to 1. Are we sensing a pattern here? ;) 

So it's moving from 3 common down to 1. Are we sensing a pattern here? [emoji6] 

Oh, admittedly the Weller craze is evident in most places!

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

I know it is based on what's posted here. I'm wondering how soon we read about shortages of JB and JD?

I passed on a 16year bottle of William Heavenhill at Heaven Hill last week. I couldn't get past the $250.00 price tag. We tasted some and it was very,  very good.

This is evident even in Weller land. I saw my first W12 on a shelf, in over a year for $250 yesterday. WSR is still everywhere. Antique use to hit shelves maybe every other month but it’s also been about a year since I’ve seen it reasonably priced on a shelf. I picked a bottle of Antique last Christmas but only because I asked and they pulled it from the back. This was from a store that’s likely the biggest mom and pop seller of OWA in the Houston area.
  • I like it 2

Passed on RY 10 and Blanton's at $69 each. Didn't go home empty handed though.

• I like it 1

Passed on Blanton's on the way home today, store wanted $150 for a bottle. 

13 minutes ago, FatherOfPugs said:

Passed on Blanton's on the way home today, store wanted $150 for a bottle. 

Blanton's has gone crazy lately. I am regularly seeing it at over $100. I went to my "honey hole" store over the weekend that ALWAYS has it on the shelf at retail. For the first time it was all gone. I asked and the guy just said..."they figured out we had it and now it disappears the same day we get it." Not sure who "they" are. As recently as October there were 6+ on the shelf at $54.

5 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Blanton's has gone crazy lately. I am regularly seeing it at over $100. I went to my "honey hole" store over the weekend that ALWAYS has it on the shelf at retail. For the first time it was all gone. I asked and the guy just said..."they figured out we had it and now it disappears the same day we get it." Not sure who "they" are. As recently as October there were 6+ on the shelf at $54.

Wow. Yeah, I can't even find it for close to retail around here. Most places sell out in under 30 minutes when it comes in and they usually pay a premium to get it. 

3 minutes ago, FatherOfPugs said:

Wow. Yeah, I can't even find it for close to retail around here. Most places sell out in under 30 minutes when it comes in and they usually pay a premium to get it. 

ABC store guy told me basically the same thing today.. Shelf ALWAYS shows out of stock.. Shipment comes in on Monday’s.. The case of 6 that they get in is gone instantaneously.. :( 

6 minutes ago, hollywood said:

ABC store guy told me basically the same thing today.. Shelf ALWAYS shows out of stock.. Shipment comes in on Monday’s.. The case of 6 that they get in is gone instantaneously.. :( 

My regular place had 3 bottles at $100 per, then got another 3 in and for some reason decided to raise price to $140. McKenna BiB, which was $32 is now $100. Weller 107 is now $80. I'm basically not shopping this store anymore simply on principle. 

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.