What bourbon did you pass on winter/spring 2019?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

28 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Agree YL is probably the best 80proofer on the market. I actually found the new 4R select to taste like a YL on steroids, maybe I’m crazy.

Interesting.  Perhaps I need to SBS those two.

All I get from SmBS is mint.  It's almost overpowering.  Maybe my bottle was filled near the end of the tank, and all the F yeast bourbon settled to the bottom.

I really hope it opens up and gets better for me.

49 minutes ago, 0895 said:

When you get bored at the top of the mountain, sometimes you gotta go back down...  :)

Yessir, right you are.  

On 5/3/2019 at 6:18 PM, dad-proof said:

I've seen the Beam Signature 12 mentioned a few times on the board recently, and came across a few of the below today. I passed, but curious to know if this 86 proofers is the same version that other SB members here have tried and liked?

IMG_20190503_120247.thumb.jpg.6adde5053fb185fbad41683f9989dcc6.jpg

That's the one, only one I am aware of.

4 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

That's the one, only one I am aware of. 

Thanks Kevin. I don't like over-oaked Beam (looking at you, most 14yo KCSB) but maybe the lower proof helps in a way. May give this a go if priced at the original MSRP.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, dad-proof said:

Thanks Kevin. I don't like over-oaked Beam (looking at you, most 14yo KCSB) but maybe the lower proof helps in a way. May give this a go if priced at the original MSRP.

Dad-proof, that is seen as sacrilege by us KC lovers when you cast aspersions on the 14 y.o. KCSiB. ;)

1 hour ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Dad-proof, that is seen as sacrilege by us KC lovers when you cast aspersions on the 14 y.o. KCSiB.

Haha, I posted something along the lines of this on the unpopular opinion thread, so I know I'm on thin ice with many! I just don't like it when the level wood influence exceeds the level of spirit character. That intersection point seems to be around 7-9 years with Beam for me.

I don’t like it either. Has a weird lingering flavor like OF1920 to me. Not as bad as Dickel, but some sort of funk to my palette. 

Haha, I posted something along the lines of this on the unpopular opinion thread, so I know I'm on thin ice with many! I just don't like it when the level wood influence exceeds the level of spirit character. That intersection point seems to be around 7-9 years with Beam for me.

I don’t know I’ve had 10 year KCSB with too much wood influence. At the same time I’ve had 14 year picks that where well balanced and not over oaked.
  • I like it 1

I was at the Pennsy State Store yesterday and picked up a store pick Russell's Reserve Single Barrel.    Mighty tasty stuff.   But I also noticed that the State Store has marked down its Peerless Rye twenty five bucks,  to "just" $95.    I passed it up,  but am thinking long and hard whether to "invest" in this bottle.    Maybe the way to go is to pair it with a JB Double Oak marked down to $16.99.   At least then I get  two bottles for my Benjamin.  

I was at the Pennsy State Store yesterday and picked up a store pick Russell's Reserve Single Barrel.    Mighty tasty stuff.   But I also noticed that the State Store has marked down its Peerless Rye twenty five bucks,  to "just" $95.    I passed it up,  but am thinking long and hard whether to "invest" in this bottle.    Maybe the way to go is to pair it with a JB Double Oak marked down to $16.99.   At least then I get  two bottles for my Benjamin.  

That must be some new kind of math that I’m not familiar with. [emoji6]
  • I like it 1

3 hours ago, dad-proof said:

Everbody's palate is different.  I love oakey wines too so a bourbon has to get pretty heavy into the oak to be too much for me.  WT 101 is a favorite for many on this site but it always seems to drink thin and hot for me.  So I know what you mean about skating on thin ice.

I have a feeling I need to go back and get this....

B18AEC09-379F-4BC0-A03E-135B9C9137B9.jpeg

• I like it 6

12 hours ago, dad-proof said:

Your not wrong in my book, I like the older KC profile but more as a change up, if anything I'd say 6-9 years is my sweet spot most days. 

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Everbody's palate is different.  I love oakey wines too so a bourbon has to get pretty heavy into the oak to be too much for me.  WT 101 is a favorite for many on this site but it always seems to drink thin and hot for me.  So I know what you mean about skating on thin ice.

The difference my fellow Kevin, is he has an opinion and you are just wrong ;) 

• I like it 1

B18AEC09-379F-4BC0-A03E-135B9C9137B9.thumb.jpeg.c61dd2bc771d90ac814dece8c29f6da5.jpeg

Hell yes, you should go back and get that! The cheapest I’ve ever seen it in my area is $129, and I thought that was a great buy!
  • I like it 4

1 hour ago, Curtis Reed said:

I would've bought it. 

13 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

I would've bought it. 

I second, errr... third that... 4th? that... ?? ;) 

Edited by hollywood

19 minutes ago, hollywood said:

I second, errr... third that... 4th? that... ?? ;) 

This.

10 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

This.

Busted by the SB grammar police??

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, hollywood said:

Busted by the SB grammar police??

Not at all. He's agreeing with you and everyone else who seconded the OP's sentiments.

8 minutes ago, DCFan said:

Not at all. He's agreeing with you and everyone else who seconded the OP's sentiments.

Lol, no issues. I was making a “funny”. I guess misinterpreted with the lack of the accompanied smiley emoji... ;) 

I passed on the new batch of RYSB.  Unfortunately, the current product just hasn't kept up with the current price, IMO.

On 5/6/2019 at 9:48 PM, Curtis Reed said:

To paraphrase the great Obi Wan Kenobi, "Follow your feelings Curtis."

• I like it 1

On 5/3/2019 at 5:18 PM, dad-proof said:

I've seen the Beam Signature 12 mentioned a few times on the board recently, and came across a few of the below today. I passed, but curious to know if this 86 proofers is the same version that other SB members here have tried and liked?

IMG_20190503_120247.thumb.jpg.6adde5053fb185fbad41683f9989dcc6.jpg

How much were these?  Can you share which store they were at?

2 hours ago, AndyD said:

How much were these?  Can you share which store they were at?

Not sure. Will check when I am back in town.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.