What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Spring 2019)

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

50 minutes ago, Supercharger said:

Lol. Was just going to ask that. 

I'm not the biggest MGP bourbon fan but it was quite good. At first I thought the Bulleit was better but the Redemption grew on me. Drank below its proof. Relatively smooth but a spicy kick mid palate. The Old Elk smelled and tasted pretty good as the first one I tried but coming back to it after trying the other two was terrible. Had an awful funk to it.

I found Old Elk, “meh”. I’ve seen it reviewed as an “easy drinker”, which I could see if you’ve had nothing before. But I got nothing from it. Was hoping for something unique with the high barley mashbill but I felt like it was just another “meh” whiskey I’ll have open behind the bar. 

On 4/18/2019 at 9:46 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Going to try something new tonight.  It has an orange label and is called "Old Grand-Dad".  It's bonded, too.  Anybody heard of it?

:D

I was expecting a crotch-shot photo from your car seat, accompanied by the obligatory Facebook group quote "Just bought this.  Is it any good?"

• I like it 2

On 4/17/2019 at 11:02 PM, TimeWillTell said:

~...

and a steal for the $50 price tag. 

5EB6EBBA-5117-44B5-9506-F76F6B13CA64.jpeg

This summarizes where we're at in 2019.  When a $50 dollar 4-year old rye whiskey is considered a steal.  The boom is not anywhere near over, my friends.

• I like it 6

7 hours ago, Kepler said:

This summarizes where we're at in 2019.  When a $50 dollar 4-year old rye whiskey is considered a steal.  The boom is not anywhere near over, my friends.

Yeah maybe my comment was dumb (I understand the perceived value of $50 varies person to person). Maybe I've just adjusted to the new norms. As I said above, I prefer it to other bottles in the $50+ category so I'll continue to be a buyer. I won't deprive myself of what may be my favorite whiskey out of principle. I don't care if it's 4 years old, it's better to me than several 10+ year whistle pig picks which cost $30-40 more. That said, 80% of my intake is and will continue to be WT101 and OF Rye. Bottles over $35 make up about 5% of my intake right now. 

Personally, I don't think we will see the bubble bust until we have another economic downturn. People in general are doing well right now so they can or want to splurge.  I've seen many articles recently stating that Millennials, in particular, value and are spending their money on  "experiences" over "things," and while buying a bottle is a thing, drinking it is an experience so maybe that's at play also. 

• I like it 3

So of course the EC that came in the HH tasting gift set (at my local)last year was some of my favorite EC ever. 

So when the local split up some of their remaining gift sets, I bought all the tubes of the EC.  Price wise, I’m a blithering idiot, but this stuff is so darn good I couldn’t help it. 

Enjoyed this one last night. 

D4FF27C4-FC6E-4A86-9BA6-FA231D43FE2B.jpeg

• I like it 1

Some EC 12 year rear age stated while I trim a couple pork shoulders for tomorrow’s lunch. 
290A2646-4F07-4AD5-BE87-74D4831874A6.thumb.jpeg.07a63b41a811d2bd4217408a35afcba7.jpeg

Nice knife. What are you slinging there Bob?

So so good! I could kick myself for not clearing a shelf of 4 or 5 of these at retail. I don't have many regrets when it comes to what I've passed on because there is so much good whiskey out there, even in the boom, but I couldn't have too many of this.

IMG_1133.jpg

• I like it 6

So so good! I could kick myself for not clearing a shelf of 4 or 5 of these at retail. I don't have many regrets when it comes to what I've passed on because there is so much good whiskey out there, even in the boom, but I couldn't have too many of this.
IMG_1133.thumb.jpg.8412c89f33f3012722e6964a8abb0b33.jpg

I have to agree 100%. I have a few, but I wish I had opened my first one right after I bought it, and I would probably have a few more.
  • I like it 1

Yesterday was some Willett Pot Still, Old Bardstown BIB, Noah's Mill, VOB, 1792 SmB.  My son and I spent the day in Bardstown doing the Willett tour followed by the Barton tour.  Fun day.

I had this while grinding steak scraps for bacon cheeseburgers, which were fantastic. Now it's about time for another while I settle in for some Blues hockey. 

20190420_165611.jpg

• I like it 3

New Riff SB.  Opened a few days ago, sipping neat now and starting to like it enough to maybe get one or two more for the bunker. 

Hate the plastic stopper. For $50 they could have spent the extra .009 cents and used cork so I wouldn't have to fight to get it back in!  Oh well, just me being meticulous in my bourbon.

33 minutes ago, Bret Bret said:

Hate the plastic stopper. For $50 they could have spent the extra .009 cents and used cork so I wouldn't have to fight to get it back in! 

I actually really like that stopper, and the fact that it seals so tightly.

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Soberiquet said:

I actually really like that stopper, and the fact that it seals so tightly.

Yeah, at least it doesn't break off or taint the whiskey.  Cork is a 19th century closure that has no place in the 21st. 

• I like it 2

21 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Yeah, at least it doesn't break off or taint the whiskey.  Cork is a 19th century closure that has no place in the 21st. 

More plastic closures, please!!  

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, BigRich said:

Nice knife. What are you slinging there Bob?

It is a Kikuichi. I love it. Just had it sharpened today. Super sharp and has made me a knife snob for sure!

• I like it 2

17 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

This combo is outstanding 

20190420_185923.jpg

Yessir, I can see how that works well!  Yum!!

4 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I have to agree 100%. I have a few, but I wish I had opened my first one right after I bought it, and I would probably have a few more.

As someone who missed out entirely, stop rubbing it in! Unfortunately this one came out before I realized how fantastic JD whiskey can be. College jack n coke memories. 

Edited by Bob_Loblaw
  • I like it 1

If your not for cork stoppers, how about a dripless bottle?Nothing worse than seeing good whiskey go down the side of a bottle after a healthy pour. They do it for the wine industry.

groovy330x4951.jpg

Picked up a bottle of Bowman Brothers SmB to take to my brother’s today and man that was good. In fact it was so good I’m thinking of breaking my commitment not to clear a shelf. :) 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.