What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Summer 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

33 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

I thought the precursor to the FRLE was FR Mariage. I thought that was 2013 and prior. Obviously looks like Im mistaken.

The FR Mariage was only 2008 & 2009. 2010 was basically the start of the FR Small Batch Limited Edition.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

47 minutes ago, pyro273 said:

Newbie question here.  How are you actually determining the proof?  A proofing hydrometer?

No, nothing that accurate.  I use an OXO Good Grips® Mini Angled Measuring Cup.  It is clear plastic and graduated in 5 ml increments up to 60 ml and 1/2 oz increments up to 2 oz.  

19 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I gotta get another bottle of this.

20190803_212540-784x1613.jpg

I passed on a bottle earlier this week @ $26.99.  I was wondering how it compares to OF Signature.

Edited by mbroo5880i

2 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I passed on a bottle earlier this week @ $26.99.  I was wondering how it compares to OF Signature.

I haven't had OF Sig in years but I definitely get some of the OF chocolatey-ness.  It's much drier without the fruit of other OF releases.

• I like it 1

My son and his family came over today. We grilled out and had some awesome food. After they left, my wife and I kicked back and relaxed for a little while on our back patio. And I had a nice pour of my 2018 Weller Blend. ^_^

Biba! Joe

a3.jpeg

• I like it 8

OEBS 117.  Knocked it down to around 105 proof which knocked it out the park.  Can't knock that.  

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, pyro273 said:

Newbie question here.  How are you actually determining the proof?  A proofing hydrometer?

Oh I see now he answered you already. But my initial thought was it's probably just simple math. If you know how much bourbon you have, what its proof is, and how much water you added, you get your proof.

Edited by dcbt
Typo
  • I like it 1

Finishing off a bottle of Johnny Drum. I have enjoyed this bottle. 

Probably will pick another, when given the opportunity. 

Cheers

I tried IW Harper 15yo in a bar earlier tonight.  It was pretty good, if a little over aged for my personal taste.  But not bad. I don't have a bottle at home but I could see getting one at some point if the price were right. 

• I like it 2

Enjoyed some RHF and a FR blend of all 10 recipes (my attempt at 'Barrel Proof Yellow Label') yesterday afternoon, while my Dad poured some Bookers (Kitchen Table vs 2013-6 'Roundtable').  Spent a lovely couple of hours just sitting on the back porch watching the hummingbirds, shooting the sh!t, and sipping fine whiskey.  

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, GaryT said:

a FR blend of all 10 recipes (my attempt at 'Barrel Proof Yellow Label')  

How did this turn out Gary?

14 hours ago, pyro273 said:

There is a great proof calculator on the Opening page of THIS website. It is very easy to use.  

As always, Kudos to The Boss and his "Mates" for designing & maintaining such a convenient and fun forum for us. 

Cheers

• I like it 2

My BIL was in town over the weekend and last night we had some of the 2010 WLW I had opened in June to celebrate my granddaughters birth. What a beautiful whiskey. Really put to shame the Blanton's Gold and PS FR OBSK I'd had earlier

• I like it 3

A pour out of The Ole Faithful camp... WTRB.. a healthy one... this bottle almost depleted and will need replacing this week..

6 hours ago, fosmith said:

There's a calculator here. But I think most folks just guesstimate...

That's what I do but going from 105 to 108 seems pretty specific so I thought there was something more to it.

4 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

There is a great proof calculator on the Opening page of THIS website. It is very easy to use.  

Thanks for the pointer; obviously I haven't been paying attention.....

On 8/2/2019 at 4:50 PM, BigRich said:

After a horrendous pour of BH Caribbean Rye i cleansed the palate with some pizza and I’m settling in with a pour of PVW20.

Good save.

OGD BiB. Keeping it simple tonight. [emoji4]

Ha same here! A little put into another bottle from a black cap handle. I almost never do ice but it’s working nice on a hot afternoon and the OFD holds up quite well.

Grilling some Corning style whole chicken and pork loin.

IMG_7547.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.