What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Fall 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Laying to rest my first bottle of OF 1920 today as well! 

Fret not, another bottle waits in the wings. 

My favorite OF expression, hands down. 

Prost! 

• I like it 1

So it has been a real crap storm for the past week.  Without getting into the details, it has been multiple issues with each having its impact.  

Having some Michter’s small batch tonight to reflect on things a bit before getting back to it tomorrow.

On 9/25/2019 at 12:18 AM, Harry in WashDC said:

NATS ARE IN THE POST-SEASON!  They beat Phil twice today, and Pitt beat the Cubs (somebody better investigate THAT! just saying, and my wife grew up a Cubs fan).  Celebrating the fact that the Nats' season has been extended at least one game, I am trying my best to finish off the last inch in the 4RSmB Select GEETEN gave me (THX Frank, and Patti says HI).  Why finish it?  She said it's time to get "some of those bottles off the dining room floor".

Harry, I think I'm growing up to be you.

I'm looking at bed frame riser stilts so that I can stash my latest purchases under the bed.

That was my former red line. Things are getting serious. I looked at a UK storage space but that costs about 3 decent bottles per month!

3 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Is the a baseless Glencairn? It looks odd. 

It’s a jumbo Glencairn knock-off, I assume to prevent Sky Clubbers from pocketing them. That’s a triple in there (my low fill target of the night) to give you a sense of scale. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Harry, I think I'm growing up to be you.

Nothing wrong with that!!

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, marshall9779 said:

Some WTRB to kick off the weekend after having some family over for dinner.
IMG_3420.JPG

Having a pour of this 116.8 proof batch as well right now too. 

Started off the night with a little Double Two Hearted from Bells with pizza followed by the Rare Breed.

• I like it 4

HMcK 10 to open up the weekend. 

This barrel is almost to an end. Heavy caramel in flavor & viscosity  

Cheers

• I like it 2

On 9/24/2019 at 11:18 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

NATS ARE IN THE POST-SEASON!  They beat Phil twice today, and Pitt beat the Cubs (somebody better investigate THAT! just saying, and my wife grew up a Cubs fan).  Celebrating the fact that the Nats' season has been extended at least one game, I am trying my best to finish off the last inch in the 4RSmB Select GEETEN gave me (THX Frank, and Patti says HI).  Why finish it?  She said it's time to get "some of those bottles off the dining room floor".

What a turnaround from the beginning of the year. Unbelievable how Dave was able to get everyone back on track when so many were calling for his scalp.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, DCFan said:

What a turnaround from the beginning of the year. Unbelievable how Dave was able to get everyone back on track when so many were calling for his scalp.

Dave who?   ?

Rooting for the Nats - Harry in WashDC deserves/needs all the support he can get for his teams.  Sometimes OGD BiB just ain't enough!  ?

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 3

4 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Dave who?   ?

Rooting for the Nats - Harry in WashDC deserves/needs all the support he can get for his teams.  Sometimes OGD BiB just ain't enough!  ?

Dave who just may get manager of the year for the way he resurrected the Nats sinking ship and their 19-31 start. ;) 

• I like it 2

Been in Charleston SC and Savannah GA all last week celebrating my birthday.  I decided to give a couple of the locally produced spirits a try, since I was in their area.  In Charleston I tried the Virgil Cain at Fleet Landing.  In Savannah we visited the Ghost River Distillery and tried their bourbon.  I know I'm a bourbon snob from smack dab in the middle of the bourbon universe so that may have colored my perceptions a bit, well actually a lot.

Virgil Cain:  Tasted young, which it probably is (NAS) and likely a higher rye content.  There was a little bit of spice up front, dry but by the back of the tongue it was pretty flat.  With some more age more nuances might start to develop but for right now, color me not impressed.

Ghost River:  Nice tour, and the lady who basically gave us a private tour was very knowledgeable.  They're aging at the distillery in a single floor set up.  She noted that they will be building a temperature controlled aging warehouse since the heat is pretty much a 10 month deal so they're not getting as much movement into and out of the barrels.  The nice thing about the humidity, according to her is that the angels share is a very small percentage.  They're using two different yeasts and working with other secondary grains.  The most important thing, the taste.  Well . . . it is only two year old bourbon and the sample I had also used oats as a secondary grain, but with their rye yeast.  So, a little bit sweet, a little bit spice but again, not impressed.  Hopefully they can develop a better taste profile as they start to release older stocks down the road.  

Otherwise I enjoyed pours of  KC Rye, Blanton's and others.  There was one special item, but you'll have to go to the What Bourbon Did You Purchase thread to find out what it is. 

• I like it 1

Continuing to winnow the bunker.  THIS time, I took one of my MANY OGD 114s and put 700 ml in an empty 750 then added about 2 OZ. (about 59.1 ml) of water to it and let it sit a day or two.  The final proof is about 105.  I then poured two OZ of the result into a glencairn which sat next to me while the Nats transfixed me by scoring NINE runs in one-half of one inning against the Cleveland Indians.  I then sipped.  I cannot believe the amount of fruit-compote-forward this has.  I may NEVER get out of this chair.

EDIT - Is now 10-6 Nats-Indians in the 7th.  Another sip.  Finish has some caramel and a bit of smoke/char and a hint of astringency.

EDIT 2 - I still may not get out of this chair.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
Update score and sipping; Edit 2 see above
  • I like it 4

2 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

when in rome...

What an interesting coincidence. :huh: My wife and I took a couple of days off. On Thursday, we drove right by Rome on our way up to west-central Wisconsin. :P We almost stopped in, but...... happy wife.... :wub:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Having a pour of Makers 46 tonight. Closed up the RV for the season today and glad to have that done. 

Little Old Forester fest: 1910; Signature (paper label); 86 Proof (paper label).  Watching the White Sox and Steve Stone and Jason Benetti talking WGN baseball history. (Final WGN baseball broadcast tonight.) Some amazing highlights, great stories. Perfect way to bid adieu to the regular baseball season.   Good luck to Maddon and can't wait til Sox 2020.  Gonna be fun.  

Edited by Steven C

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.