What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Fall 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

20 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Im not sure what “thick crap” means and if that’s different from what what pizza style the majority of Chicago people eat, but I’ve been eating Lou Malnati’s for 30 years and it’s the best pizza I’ve ever had. But, I’m an out of towner...  :D  

For me, when I think of "thick crap", it's usually a more polite way of describing conversations at the gazebo or the west wing at the GN.  :D

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, marshall9779 said:

It must have worked. Helluva game.

Yeah, but my liver may not be able take it.  It's tough being a DC sports fan, especially as a Redskins season ticket holder.

With the Pat's coming to town tomorrow,  my liver might explode! 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this about putting whiskey in the fridge/freezer. After all the posts over the years from those who enjoy doing it, I thought I was an outlier in this matter. Not sure if I'd use the word complexities for my experiences because the few I've tried this with have been "bottom shelf" bourbons, but the flavors certainly seemed muted. I guess it's another one of those "whatever works for you" things. :D

Yes in my experience it mutes the flavors. However sometimes a chilled whiskey can also hit the spot.  Maybe an ice cube can accomplish the same thing, I don't know. I don't usually like my whiskey watered down though.  I think 6 year age stated FC can be reserved for regular duty, and a "simpler" whiskey (whatever that means) can be used for freezer duty.  Any recommendations anyone?  Maybe WSR or MM maybe?  I'm thinking a simpler tasting pour would be better suited.  Not sure however.

21 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Im not sure what “thick crap” means and if that’s different from what what pizza style the majority of Chicago people eat, but I’ve been eating Lou Malnati’s for 30 years and it’s the best pizza I’ve ever had. But, I’m an out of towner...  :D  

Lou Malnattis makes an excellent thin crust.

21 minutes ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Lou Malnattis makes an excellent thin crust.

If they make it, I’m sure it’s very good.  But, I’ve never had it.  

Yeah, but my liver may not be able take it.  It's tough being a DC sports fan, especially as a Redskins season ticket holder.
With the Pat's coming to town tomorrow,  my liver might explode! 

Uggh, the skins ... we might have a shot winning next week but even against Miami we’ll probably find a way to lose.
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, parksmart said:

Yum and YUM!  It’s been a good night thus far.......

?

Just curious. What’s the proof of the OF

Biba! Joe

52 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Looks like 86 from the blue stamp on the label.

• I like it 1

4R PS OBSV. Hail to the Cult. 

What a day in college football & MLB playoffs. A few upsets in football & some excellent baseball games. 

The Astros' Cole was absolutely dealing tonight. He is the real deal (hard for a Rangers fan to say, I'll tell ya). Anyway, Houston you better pass the hat if you want to keep him. 

Cheers

• I like it 1

56 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

It’s the 86 proof.  1983 bottle date.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, parksmart said:

Yum and YUM!  It’s been a good night thus far.......

?

53420235-0598-4E26-9746-1FAA9E34391A.jpeg

Congratulations, on opening & enjoying these dusty's. I tip my hat to you sir. 

To all of you lurking 'taters out there, this is what our hobby is about:  ENJOYING a Bourbon, not only collecting bottles or profiting off a bottle. 

Ok, I'm off my soap box. 

Cheers

• I like it 6

9 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this about putting whiskey in the fridge/freezer. After all the posts over the years from those who enjoy doing it, I thought I was an outlier in this matter. Not sure if I'd use the word complexities for my experiences because the few I've tried this with have been "bottom shelf" bourbons, but the flavors certainly seemed muted. I guess it's another one of those "whatever works for you" things. :D

For me, whatever I'm am consuming, (food or beverage) if it is really cold, my taste buds don't pick up all of the flavor available.

For that reason, I try to enjoy foods/beverages at or near room temperature when possible. The exceptions being Diet Coke, Beer & Iced Tea (the colder the better.   I know , I'm a weird duck. Deal with it, :-))

Cheers

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

Yes in my experience it mutes the flavors. However sometimes a chilled whiskey can also hit the spot.  Maybe an ice cube can accomplish the same thing, I don't know. I don't usually like my whiskey watered down though.  I think 6 year age stated FC can be reserved for regular duty, and a "simpler" whiskey (whatever that means) can be used for freezer duty.  Any recommendations anyone?  Maybe WSR or MM maybe?  I'm thinking a simpler tasting pour would be better suited.  Not sure however.

Seems to me, a Rye Bourbon will hold up better to cold, than a "wheater".   

Blanton’s SFTB while watching the Braves duel the Cardinals. Hoping that the magic works again with some Blanton’s love. 

• I like it 1

On 10/2/2019 at 5:36 PM, fosmith said:

Last Saturday enjoyed a store pick of Elijah Craig Small batch on the deck overlooking Tomales Bay and the Point Reyes Natl. Seashore while listing to my Golden Gophers beat Purdue to improve to 4 - 0.  I'm really liking these EC store picks.  This one was from Third Base Market. 

ecsb at pt reyes.jpg

Oh wow, @fosmith, what a great place to be drinking some EC! I absolutely love Tomales Bay. 

1 hour ago, Radioyada said:

Time for some Stagg Jr. batch 10 for a celebratory pour.

1 hour ago, Radioyada said:

Blanton’s SFTB while watching the Braves duel the Cardinals. Hoping that the magic works again with some Blanton’s love. 

I like the way you think.

IMG_20191006_205024.thumb.jpg.2bbc36519a7e29a434d3ae5a0bd71210.jpg

• I like it 1

Having some W12 tonight. Trying to get a pour or two from this bottle before the wife polishes it off!  Grabbed a low fill level Willett 3 year rye as well for the next pour. Will try to kill it to make some room. Going from one end of the spectrum (decently aged wheater) to the other (young rye whiskey).

On 10/5/2019 at 1:41 PM, Vosgar said:

Does it mute some flavors? Yes. But, I find it heightens others. Some work, some don't. For the ones that do work, it's not that I think the freezer makes them better. It's that it's a different experience that I really enjoy for what it is on a hot day when some thick ice cold syrupy whiskey goodness really hits the spot firmly.

• I like it 1

My old baseball superstition got the best of me tonight. Had a pour of this the other day when the Nats won the wildcard game. Hoping it helps tonight. At least they put one on the board first inning.
IMG_3433.JPG.3398ad3d231231a64d57d93c3f332735.JPG

Well it definitely didn’t work last night. Had the same again.

3 minutes ago, marshall9779 said:

Well it definitely didn’t work last night. Had the same again.

It was definitely a tough day in DC.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.