Empty Bottle(s) Support Group ~ 2020

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Spoiler

Finishing off my only bottle of Gold I’ve ever snagged. While it was very good, it just never quite lived up to my own expectations for it. Too many others out there for the price, even though I only paid a small markup over MSRP. 

9F9CBB8A-615F-400E-8B9F-8AF3B1105C53.jpeg

Edited by BMartin42
  • I like it 3

Finished this with a friend while smoking a packer brisket.  He loved it and took my last two bottles of this with him..... ?

DACBBFCF-492B-4FB8-848C-40DE8942A5CB.jpeg

No elves were harmed in the making of this photograph. It must have been tasty. It didn’t last 2 weeks. 

BF5D2BE8-9DA4-4426-892A-80630C2C32EB.jpeg

• I like it 4

The Double Barrel.  My local just got in a new private selection of the JD SBBP.  It is stellar, of course.  I've never had a bad one.  Now the only decision is whether to buy 3 bottles or a case.  I think we all know the answer to that!  

Anyone get to try the JD SBBP Rye this year?  

Just killed this Willett 4 yr rye. I think I have 2 more in the bunker but different proofs.

I really enjoy these a lot at 50 bucks.  But they seem to have ticked up in price significantly in my market so I don't plan on reloading unless the age statement goes up with no additional price increase.  Too many other great ryes still unopened in the bunker.  Plus I still have 2 more of these so I'm good ?

20201218_223338.jpg

Edited by Kepler
added photo
  • I like it 2

2 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Just killed this Willett 4 yr rye. I think I have 2 more in the bunker but different proofs.

I really enjoy these a lot at 50 bucks.  But they seem to have ticked up in price significantly in my market so I don't plan on reloading unless the age statement goes up with no additional price increase.  Too many other great ryes still unopened in the bunker.  Plus I still have 2 more of these so I'm good 

The 126 proof batch was AMAZINGLY GOOD!  The others good but not worth purchasing multiples.  I thought the age statement would keep going up but, like with New Riff,  I guess it's stuck at 4 years. 

This was surprisingly good.  Not complex but very tasty for when I'm in the mood for a lower proof bourbon.  Glad I picked up a backup today at the supermarket.  Best value on the bottom shelf, IMO. 

evan williams black label empty.jpg

• I like it 4

10 minutes ago, fosmith said:

The 126 proof batch was AMAZINGLY GOOD!  The others good but not worth purchasing multiples.  I thought the age statement would keep going up but, like with New Riff,  I guess it's stuck at 4 years. 

Good to know about the 126!  Yes I'll be checking the proof numbers of the 2 I have in the bunker. But I'm pretty sure neither of them are that high proof.  

I still think the age statement of these standard Willetts will continue to rise over time.  Of course there are some odd 6 and 10 yr versions currently offered from time to time, but I'm not going to stand in line or do whatever cartwheels are required to score a bottle at a reasonable price.

On that note, I just poured myself  a Knob Creek CS 2009 rye.  Superb.   And these KC CS releases are readily available at 60-65 with no fuss and zero chasing drama. 

Edited by Kepler

1 minute ago, Kepler said:

On that note, I just poured myself  a Knob Creek CS 2009 rye.  Superb.   And these KC CS releases are readily available at 60-65 with no fuss and zero chasing drama. 

I think the barreled in 2010 KC CS rye is a cut above the 2009 even though the 2009 is great.  And the fact that it's available at my TW for $50 is amazing...

2 minutes ago, fosmith said:

I think the barreled in 2010 KC CS rye is a cut above the 2009 even though the 2009 is great.  And the fact that it's available at my TW for $50 is amazing...

Wow $50 ?!?

I might become the only person in 2020 moving from Texas to California...

12 hours ago, fosmith said:

This was surprisingly good.  Not complex but very tasty for when I'm in the mood for a lower proof bourbon.  Glad I picked up a backup today at the supermarket.  Best value on the bottom shelf, IMO. 

evan williams black label empty.jpg

My bandmates were doing campfires at one member's house this summer/fall, and taking turns bringing bottles to share. Most of it was mid shelf- KC, EC, OF100, etc. One night I also brought along a bottle of EWB for comparison's sake. Ever since trying it, one of the guys has bought pretty much nothing but EW. In his words, "Yeah, the others are better, but this is a handle for less than a 750 of any of those- I'm drinking this!"

• I like it 1

Laid to rest a bottle of the Willett last night.  I felt some sort of ceremony was in order.  

On 12/14/2020 at 11:30 AM, smokinjoe said:

Man, there are two bottle labels that have gone right in the shitter.  I wish Beam would take that lecherous looking picture off the label, and go back to the stately look of the previous, and is there one person on earth who prefers the current WT label over the older ones?  On the other hand, the ER was nice looking back in the day, but the new is very nice, too.  

Is this better?

20201221_172753.jpg

On 12/20/2020 at 7:46 PM, Patrick_OKC said:

Currently on a broken cork streak, as I progress in working down the bunker...

I opened same batch Rare Breed a month ago and still have piece of cork floating.  That's why we keep extra corks hanging around, they sure come in handy.

• I like it 1

35 minutes ago, Paddy said:

^^^That’s an improvement over the last label.  But IMO nothing is prettier than the colorized WT.

I'm with Paddy on this one.

Agreed about the old colored labels.  i will say that the raised bird on the front of the glass bottle looks pretty good, adds something interesting to the packaging.

This is already gone. Interestingly the real star of the show was the old fashion syrup that came in the holiday pack — which I almost didn’t pick up because didn’t think it’d be worth carrying the huge packaging home. It’s good, nothing unexpected, pretty standard stuff but good. I miss having cocktails outside and this did the trick. 

1EC36D7E-ED4F-47C9-992F-8DFDB1BF2101.jpeg

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.