What Bottle Did You Open Today? 2020

Vosgar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

13 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Not worth paying tater prices for, but if you have a Japanese connection... get one.

If you enjoy regular 80p 4R, then this is the next step up.  Light, Fruity, and refreshing.  Perfect summertime sipping!

C2D6B430-F4A3-4B38-B031-D9AF398CC20D.jpeg

And it's a cool bottle.

• I like it 3

10yr OESK. This is pretty darn good. This barrel is sweeter than most 4R that I've had. 

20200627_202612.jpg

• I like it 3

Wolcott Straight Kentucky Bourbon. This is a 90 proofer, no age statement release that I think is from Total Wine. It was about $25 and I had seen some good reviews on it. The nose was pretty decent, the taste is okay, and the finish is very bitter. It got worse as I made my way through the pour. I hope this improves over time, but not the best first impression.

23 hours ago, 0895 said:

Not worth paying tater prices for, but if you have a Japanese connection... get one.

If you enjoy regular 80p 4R, then this is the next step up.  Light, Fruity, and refreshing.  Perfect summertime sipping!

C2D6B430-F4A3-4B38-B031-D9AF398CC20D.jpeg

Next logical step has to be trying this out of the freezer no?

Drove up to in laws Michigan Lake house this AM. Will spend the day with the family then drive back early tomorrow leaving the wife and kids for a week of beach time when it’s so much less crowded. Will return Friday AM for the long weekend which will include some outdoor fire pit cooking. 

I stashed this EWSiB here last trip. Perfect for early day drinking! 

B344325B-FE0A-48D1-8C0A-7104632DAAF2.jpeg

• I like it 2

32 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Next logical step has to be trying this out of the freezer no?

it's a bit too hard to get for that kind of experiment, but it definitely crossed my mind.

7 hours ago, 0895 said:

it's a bit too hard to get for that kind of experiment, but it definitely crossed my mind.

Fair, but I think I’d give at least a few Oz a go vs the 4RYL just to see 

• I like it 1

Oops. FIL was up for drinking again. Guess who just woke up on a basement couch? It was a good day!

B723BC0A-D414-40E9-B33B-2CFB58455BF8.jpeg

• I like it 2

Opened a recent pickup from travels in TN. This is a 14yr 10 month KCSB store pick from Campbell Station. It was around $45, which is the cheapest KCSB bottle I've gotten recently since most tend to be in the $55-60 range.

Lots of oak here, not surprisingly, but it's got some other classic bourbon notes underneath that. The nose is a bit closed up so far, mostly just a slightly sour oak note, but it should open up. It's nice and viscous and drinks about 100 proof, rather than 120.

IMG_8989.JPG

• I like it 4

I stashed the bottle of EW1783 in the freezer early this afternoon and put about 1/2 oz of water in a Crown Royal glass for the freezer as well. After the grill was put to work for tonight's supper, I pulled out the bottle and glass to see if my slightly cockamamie idea would work out. I put a measured 3 oz pour into the glass and proceeded to drink. It worked fairly well. The ice stayed on the bottom of the glass for about 40 minutes and didn't seem to dilute the whiskey until it started to float but by then I was getting close to the end. So I think I can call it a modest success with an 86 pf whiskey. Things might be different with a 100 pf pour but I'm going to wait for another afternoon when I need a silly diversion to try that. It can't hurt.

• I like it 2

On 6/28/2020 at 9:25 PM, silverc said:

Opened a recent pickup from travels in TN. This is a 14yr 10 month KCSB store pick from Campbell Station. It was around $45, which is the cheapest KCSB bottle I've gotten recently since most tend to be in the $55-60 range.

Lots of oak here, not surprisingly, but it's got some other classic bourbon notes underneath that. The nose is a bit closed up so far, mostly just a slightly sour oak note, but it should open up. It's nice and viscous and drinks about 100 proof, rather than 120.

IMG_8989.JPG

I know the owner and manager of that store very well! 

16 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I know the owner and manager of that store very well! 

Campbell Station is a pretty small shop compared to some others in the Knoxville area, but they have nice prices on stuff and a lot of good store picks. I always make a point to stop there when I am in Knoxville.

• I like it 1

Opened the Bardstown Bourbon Copper and Kings Brandy finished bottle today while grilling some chicken with homemade bourbon BBQ sauce and corn on the cob. The Bardstown bourbon is nice, it's 11yr MGP finished in Apple Brandy casks. They used nice quality distillate here, and the apple brandy finish is noticeable but still subtle. It adds a nice element to the complexity without being overpowering.

The chicken was nice too, and the BBQ sauce I made was a good way to use up some cheap "American Pride" bourbon I bought a while back for exactly this sort of thing.

Happy 4th!

IMG_9012.JPG

IMG_9014.JPG

• I like it 3

Opened this guy tonight. Man, have you ever had a bourbon that you just can't stop nosing because it smells so good. This bottle certainly fits that description (huge caramel note that I can't get enough of). The taste is on point as well. FullSizeR(4).jpg

Edited by Jfletchgu
  • I like it 1

47 minutes ago, Jfletchgu said:

Opened this guy tonight. Man, have you ever had a bourbon that you just can't stop nosing because it smells so good. This bottle certainly fits that description (huge caramel note that I can't get enough of). The taste is on point as well. FullSizeR(4).jpg

When you get a good HMcK10yr you get a good one and indeed it's hard to stop going back to it.

• I like it 2

Decided it has been too long since there was an open bottle of ER in the house, and today was a perfect day to correct that issue. 

8A8A736A-E81C-4434-8E65-8804C20EB881.jpeg

• I like it 1

Opened up a 1792 BIB. For the money I'm just as happy with VOB100.

For the record, I'm off work tomorrow (in case anyone was counting tonight!)

20200705_212059.jpg

On 7/4/2020 at 8:33 PM, flahute said:

When you get a good HMcK10yr you get a good one and indeed it's hard to stop going back to it.

100%. Opened and am drinking (see What Are You Drinking... thread) my last bottle of HMcK10 from a very good barrel that I picked up a few of. I doubt it will last long.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, JakeySnakes said:

100%. Opened and am drinking (see What Are You Drinking... thread) my last bottle of HMcK10 from a very good barrel that I picked up a few of. I doubt it will last long.

Good on ya' Mr. Snakes!   You have exactly the right idea.   Find good single barrels, buy as many bottles as you determine to be reasonable, drink as often as you wish.   Leads to nothing but joy, satisfaction with life in general... and maybe even the ability to think a bit less about this farging global pandemic.....   Slainte!

• I like it 3

I finally saw WT 101 Rye at a store that doesn't always have the best prices.  They wanted $45.  At least now I know it's in Indiana.

7 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I finally saw WT 101 Rye at a store that doesn't always have the best prices.  They wanted $45.  At least now I know it's in Indiana.

Well I know none of us like paying more certainly, me included.  But if it helps any, it punches enough above its weight that I still consider it a pretty darn good value at that price.  Is it as good as Pikesville? No it's not. BUT  you get the extra 250ml for the 1 liter bottle which helps offset a bit.

If you can't find it anywhere you might as well consider pulling the trigger. A person can spend a lot more than 15 bucks on gas and time spent while searching.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

I still have two of the older label Austin Nichols versions in the bunker.

I just know, if I saw it in Bloomington, it will show up in Greenwood/South Indy, or I'll have my new friend the wine steward at the grocery store order it.  She'll probably even get me a discount. ?

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.