What Bottle Did You Open Today? 2020

Vosgar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

38 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Just a little game of eeny meeny miny moe with classic SAOS SiB. Been awhile since I had one of these opened. Getting ready to fix that.

20201030_224157.jpg

?️‍?️

• I like it 1

On 10/27/2020 at 7:03 PM, jvd99 said:

D376A9AF-925E-4FFE-812C-FA5EC96AEF05.jpeg

On 10/27/2020 at 8:57 PM, Kepler said:

Now we're talking.  You just gave me an idea for this weekend.

Decided to crack a lower proof 11 year.  Had the cork break on me, no problem because I have spares corks and a filter. It's just weird to think these are getting old enough for that already.

(For those interested, sorry this bottle is a Missy, not a Sarah) ;- ))

20201030_231817.jpg

• I like it 1

12 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I assume this is shorthand that I'm not cool enough to understand, Lol

Hahahahaha. 

I was hoping that the eyeballs emoticon would be available but it wasn't. This was the closet but clearly it fell short!

4 minutes ago, flahute said:

Hahahahaha. 

I was hoping that the eyeballs emoticon would be available but it wasn't. This was the closet but clearly it fell short!

Hehe!

9 minutes ago, flahute said:

Hahahahaha. 

Btw/FYI  the emojis were not working for me with my Android Mozilla browser earlier this evening, but when I switched to MS  Edge problem fixed!

Testing from Edge ... ?

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

Just a little game of eeny meeny miny moe with classic SAOS SiB. Been awhile since I had one of these opened. Getting ready to fix that.

20201030_224157.jpg

Holy cow, I couldn't help but peep on your Seasoned Wood  EHT.   I knew it existed, but havent ever seen one -  cant be too many left!   That came out before I hit the bourbon scene, I am envious!

I opened a new Blanton’s last night. Delicious, as always. When tasting, it occurred to me that what makes it so great, IMO, is what is missing in addition to what is present. My notes were classic buffalo trace sweetness on the front, and smooth caramel finish with just the right amount of oak bite. What it’s missing is any alcohol-harshness, off notes, rough edges, or imbalances. None of the flavors are overly bold, but none are overpowered by others either. Subtle, yet flawless. Everything in harmony and at just the right amplitude. 

It remains one of my favorite bottles for good reason!

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, BigSkyDrams said:

I opened a new Blanton’s last night. Delicious, as always. When tasting, it occurred to me that what makes it so great, IMO, is what is missing in addition to what is present. My notes were classic buffalo trace sweetness on the front, and smooth caramel finish with just the right amount of oak bite. What it’s missing is any alcohol-harshness, off notes, rough edges, or imbalances. None of the flavors are overly bold, but none are overpowered by others either. Subtle, yet flawless. Everything in harmony and at just the right amplitude. 

Xactly!  ?

Your description of Blanton’s is short, simple, and IMHO, one of the best I’ve ever read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

I was prepared to be disappointed-- but once I saw the color, I knew it was going to be cool. I led off with my control Old Forester Signature, and the buck-fifty blew it to the bottom shelf. Sits somewhere between and liquid and solid, with an almost crystalline super-saturated mouthfeel. I'm heading over to the kind LS with samples…

IMG_5363.thumb.jpg.ee2addcfa5bc9abeab2efbcf08db6f70.jpg

• I like it 5

10 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Xactly!  ?

Your description of Blanton’s is short, simple, and IMHO, one of the best I’ve ever read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. 

Biba! Joe

Thanks Joe, and Happy Halloween!

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, geclbxf said:

Holy cow, I couldn't help but peep on your Seasoned Wood  EHT.   I knew it existed, but havent ever seen one -  cant be too many left!   That came out before I hit the bourbon scene, I am envious!

I could say the same thing about Cured Oak, that's the one I missed on I wish I had gotten.  Not to mention Tornado surviving.

I do really like the seasoned wood, prefer it over the 4G.

Three more fresh cracks added to the bar. The Bardstown Discovery was really great. Pretty much exhausted what I moved with. Picking up some reinforcements in the morning. 

A4934AFD-4CF1-4CDA-ABA5-CA2D775F3CB7.jpeg

• I like it 6

11 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Three more fresh cracks added to the bar. The Bardstown Discovery was really great. Pretty much exhausted what I moved with. Picking up some reinforcements in the morning. 

A4934AFD-4CF1-4CDA-ABA5-CA2D775F3CB7.jpeg

Bardstown is doing some great things with their finishes.   You pay for it, but I have not been disappointed yet.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, geclbxf said:

Bardstown is doing some great things with their finishes.   You pay for it, but I have not been disappointed yet.

Agree, they are very creative. Discovery is not finished. Allegedly this one is MGP/Barton/WT.

• I like it 1

Well let’s see. Cracked a HMK10 and 1792 Sweet Wheat with the BIL after hanging the TV. Then lil nips of a fresh Bakers (old style) Distillers Cut and a 15yr KC between yard work.

Craving some Turkey so going to try out a few RRSiB. One CNF I picked in Kentucky, one CNF sample pick after a CNA from the trip was too short to bottle (sad because it was far and away the best of the 11 barrels we sampled). Warehouse G was a off premise pick with Eddie this past February. 

image.jpg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Well let’s see. Cracked a HMK10 and 1792 Sweet Wheat with the BIL after hanging the TV. Then lil nips of a fresh Bakers (old style) Distillers Cut and a 15yr KC between yard work.

Craving some Turkey so going to try out a few RRSiB. One CNF I picked in Kentucky, one CNF sample pick after a CNA from the trip was too short to bottle (sad because it was far and away the best of the 11 barrels we sampled). Warehouse G was a off premise pick with Eddie this past February. 

Very nice Ben, but I have to admit I’m a bit lost. CNA and CNF? The CRS is strong in me today.  :wacko:

BTW, I hope the move went okay. I might have to send you a house warming gift.  ;)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Very nice Ben, but I have to admit I’m a bit lost. CNA and CNF? The CRS is strong in me today.  :wacko:

BTW, I hope the move went okay. I might have to send you a house warming gift.  ;)

Biba! Joe

Camp Nelson warehouses A and F.

• I like it 1

On 10/31/2020 at 9:53 AM, BigSkyDrams said:

When people ask me why I think Blanton's is "smooth," your description defines what I mean.

• I like it 2

On 10/31/2020 at 9:53 AM, BigSkyDrams said:

A spot on terrific analysis.  Elegant comes to mind when I think of Blanton’s.  

• I like it 2

On 10/30/2020 at 10:48 PM, Kepler said:

20201030_224157.jpg

This picture did not get enough discussion.  I am highly envious of your stash of SAOS!  Missed that run of MGP goodness entirely unfortunately.  

15 hours ago, flahute said:

Camp Nelson warehouses A and F.

Yep, this is correct.  Full story is we are at WT to pick a barrel.  During sampling we tastea short barrel  from Camp Nelson A that was lights out good.  Eddie estimated it would only yield 25-30 bottles.  LS manager agreed it was the best, but stated he can't use his barrel pick on something with such a small yield.  I insist we put the CNA into the final blind anyway which of course it won handily.  WT ends up saying we can get two barrels so we take our second pick, the CNF Barrel 449, and the manager says screw it, we will take the short barrel and it will just be split amongst the 6 of us who came for the selection!  Fast forward several months and we get a notification that the CNA barrel was so low that it could not be be bottled and WT was sending 3 more samples (selected by Eddie) for us to pick a replacement barrel.  Of course, none lived up to our memories of the lost barrel, but we did end up with a very nice second CNF barrel.   All in all a fantastic experience that looking back is even more incredible when you think of the impact the pandemic has had.

• I like it 3

17 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

The move is a work in progress but everyone is settling in nicely, thanks!  Only got a few eye rolls from the wife as I put together the bourbon shelf while she was unpacking more "important items"  

One more final storage run sometime this week and for the first time ever I will have all of my bottles in a single location!

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.