What Bourbon Did You Pass On Spring/Summer 2020?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

17 hours ago, 0895 said:

It took every ounce of restraint.  I even had one in my cart for a bit.

I left 3 slam dunk MMCS bottles on the shelf for $33 each.

I also like the old MMCS bottle better.

That's a great price. The lowest I've seen around here is @ $39.99 on sale.  I'm gonna venture a couple of guess's here and say those bottles were either mistakes, or they were training a new person on the dipping line. The last time I was at MM, I asked if they were still including slam dunk bottles randomly in cases. The answer was no, they no longer did slam dunk bottles. You might want to go back and grab one of those slam dunks just in case. :huh:

Biba! Joe

Thread drift...... Talking about the slam dunk MM bottles made me think of the two MM 84 proof bottles I bought when that goofiness happened in 2013. Why did I buy them? I'm still not 100% sure. Maybe it was because I thought they'd be a part of bourbon history and would be a fun conversation piece later on. They were unique since they were pulled from the shelves after only a week, but I was certain they'd never be valuable. I mean, come on, it's lower proofed MM. Whatever the case, I only paid $21.75 for each and still have them.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

That's a great price. The lowest I've seen around here is @ $39.99 on sale.  I'm gonna venture a couple of guess's here and say those bottles were either mistakes, or they were training a new person on the dipping line. The last time I was at MM, I asked if they were still including slam dunk bottles randomly in cases. The answer was no, they no longer did slam dunk bottles. You might want to go back and grab one of those slam dunks just in case. :huh:

Biba! Joe

From that pic it looked like almost all of the bottles on the shelf had wax down onto the shoulder of the bottles.  Hard to tell.  Assume that's what a "slam dunk" bottle is.

28 minutes ago, Clueby said:

From that pic it looked like almost all of the bottles on the shelf had wax down onto the shoulder of the bottles.  Hard to tell.  Assume that's what a "slam dunk" bottle is.

It was only 3 bottles the others were all normal.

Of course I checked them all.

If I didn’t already have two old bottles to drink, id probably get one.

• I like it 1

Passed on Knob Creek 15 Year of course. It was "behind the glass" and priced at $93.  Ridiculous rebranding trick, don't fall for it taters!

After I moved along from the glass case I noticed a 30-ish female tater (with her phone out of course) that asked the salesperson for the 15 year.  A sucker born every minute...

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Passed on Knob Creek 15 Year of course. It was "behind the glass" and priced at $93.  Ridiculous rebranding trick, don't fall for it taters!

After I moved along from the glass case I noticed a 30-ish female tater (with her phone out of course) that asked the salesperson for the 15 year.  A sucker born every minute...

Another example of how the Boom is steaming along like  a 2 mile long train   

Cheers 

• I like it 4

I’m pretty big into store picks these days. And at the few stores I do the bulk of my shopping at, the picks are almost always good and I buy most of them without needing to try first. But, I passed on the current BT pick one of my main places has, because they decided to only sell it in a cocktail bundle. $50 plus tax for a liter bottle of BT, a bottle of vermouth, and a thing of cherries. Love the liter size but I’m not a huge vermouth guy, and when I use a cherry in a cocktail I prefer fresh over jarred. For some Manhattan drinkers, they might be perfectly happy with this bundle, maybe a good gift? 

Edited by BottledInBond

7 hours ago, Kepler said:

K&L posted multiple cases of this on their web site for $99.99 and it sold out very quickly.  But it was an easy pass for me too.  I don't like to reward Beam Suntory's bad behavior.

Passed on Larceny BP at my local store.  They had several bottles in the case but no price.  I didn't ask.  I am done with the brand.  They also had Very Old St. Nick.  I don't recall the age.  I believe it was the bourbon.  I only made quick glance and then I saw the price $180.  

• I like it 1

31 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Passed on Larceny BP at my local store.  They had several bottles in the case but no price.  I didn't ask.  I am done with the brand.  They also had Very Old St. Nick.  I don't recall the age.  I believe it was the bourbon.  I only made quick glance and then I saw the price $180.  

I’m quite a fan of the Larceny BP.  The extra proof does for it what the same proof uptick does for Makers, IMO.  The extra heft brings a whole new dimension to the whiskey.  $50 is where I see it priced.   

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

I’m pretty big into store picks these days. And at the few stores I do the bulk of my shopping at, the picks are almost always good and I buy most of them without needing to try first. But, I passed on the current BT pick one of my main places has, because they decided to only sell it in a cocktail bundle. $50 plus tax for a liter bottle of BT, a bottle of vermouth, and a thing of cherries. Love the liter size but I’m not a huge vermouth guy, and when I use a cherry in a cocktail I prefer fresh over jarred. For some Manhattan drinkers, they might be perfectly happy with this bundle, maybe a good gift? 

Is that even legal?

They can charge whatever they want for a given bottle, but making people purchase additional items seems not ok.

Also, implying a bottle needs to be a base for a cocktail is not much of an endorsement for their selection.

13 hours ago, PaulO said:

Is that even legal?

They can charge whatever they want for a given bottle, but making people purchase additional items seems not ok.

Also, implying a bottle needs to be a base for a cocktail is not much of an endorsement for their selection.

If it's prepackaged it's a typical thing to do but I can't say I've ever seen a private selection sold that way.

A few years ago, I stopped at a liquor store I’d never been in before. They had Weller 12 in a similar package deal. The only way you could get it was if you also bought two other very nondescript bottles. I can’t remember for sure, but IIRC, the package price was in the neighborhood of $100.00. 

Biba! Joe

On 6/27/2020 at 1:36 AM, Kepler said:

I passed on it yesterday also, at $89. I wasn't impressed with the reviews i had read, and it didn't seem worth the risk at that price. What do you think of the 12 yr 100 proof? It's around $60 in my area, seems to get good reviews.

Today I passed on Blanton’s @$169.99, Weller SR @$59.99, and Baby Saz @$46.99. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Today I passed on Blanton’s @$169.99, Weller SR @$59.99, and Baby Saz @$46.99. ?

Biba! Joe

Jeebus.

• I like it 1

On 7/1/2020 at 11:18 AM, yobber76 said:

I passed on it yesterday also, at $89. I wasn't impressed with the reviews i had read, and it didn't seem worth the risk at that price. What do you think of the 12 yr 100 proof? It's around $60 in my area, seems to get good reviews.

Now that one yes I can get behind, although I haven't bought one yet myself because I still have a lot of private single barrels in the 9-14 year range that I paid in the mid 40s for. 

On 7/1/2020 at 6:31 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Same LS will probably price the gold at $799? ?

Passed on a KC15 today while out and about. Just do not like KC enough for the price. 

Passed on everything today.  I had the day off so this morning I thought to myself "Hey I ought to get out there and do some bourbon hunting today."  Then I just decided against it because it just didn't excite me like it used to.  I do believe I've reached  Bourbon Zen.  And I feel fine.

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, Kepler said:

Passed on everything today.  I had the day off so this morning I thought to myself "Hey I ought to get out there and do some bourbon hunting today."  Then I just decided against it because it just didn't excite me like it used to.  I do believe I've reached  Bourbon Zen.  And I feel fine.

Lawrenceburg men have a way of reaching zen before others.

10 minutes ago, flahute said:

Lawrenceburg men have a way of reaching zen before others.

Come to think of it, yes you have a point there.  Perhaps not a coincidence at all.

• I like it 2

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 12:28 AM, FasterHorses said:

EHTBP $400 

WOW - 5X MSRP - is it just me, or is CEHT getting some sort of halo right now that is translating to wacky pricing?

Jut insane.

1 hour ago, geclbxf said:

WOW - 5X MSRP - is it just me, or is CEHT getting some sort of halo right now that is translating to wacky pricing?

Jut insane.

The creeping tentacles of Pappy mania is  steadily infecting the entire portfolio as the years progress, even CV can’t stop it, perhaps we have found a vaccine.

Edited by kcgumbohead
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.