What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Summer 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

15 hours ago, flahute said:

VOB 100 is great. One of the great bargains.

I keep reading that and that's why I bought it.  At $20 for a 750, I will have to compare that stuff to OF100 at $38 for a 1.75.  The VOB is actually more expensive. 

16 minutes ago, Clay34 said:

I keep reading that and that's why I bought it.  At $20 for a 750, I will have to compare that stuff to OF100 at $38 for a 1.75.  The VOB is actually more expensive. 

I was able to get it (VOB100) for right at $15+t for a long time. Latest bottles were $16.50+t. So puts it just over the $38/1.75. There are 1.75s of VOB100 apparently but I've never seen one.

• I like it 2

44 minutes ago, Clueby said:

There are 1.75s of VOB100 apparently but I've never seen one.

Ive only ever seen them in KY.

They have 750ml, 1 liters and 1.75’s of all the different proof variations, but not always all at the same time.

27604296-5578-4EAE-B1F5-7B0CD719539A.jpeg

On 8/13/2020 at 6:31 PM, Phil T said:

The local Winn Dixie was out of family sized WT 101, so I bought the ginormous sized EWBIB. I guess I'll suffer through. 

I've been drinking the white label BIB for a regular pour for a while and asked a local store if I could buy it in a 1.75 instead of the 750.  They came back and told me that it was only available in a 750 or 1 litre.  Then Friday I found a 1.75 of EWBIB. 

Liquor stores and the information that I get from many of them, even the owners or managers is not always very accurate.  Trust but verify, is a good motto when doing business with new places. 

• I like it 1

The new Lux Row Distiller's Collection releases of Ezra Brooks ($35) and Rebel Yell ($40) have been release at Virginia ABC recently. I picked up a bottle of each on Saturday and tried the Ezra Brooks that evening (barrel 7167104). It was really quite good and I went back to the store on Sunday to get a bottle of the other two single barrels available (7167114 and 7167096). These are not distributed to very many ABC stores in the state, but the stores that did get them got 60+ bottles, so it seems VABC "selected" several different barrels of each. I haven't tried the RY DC bottle yet. 

IMG_0303.JPG

• I like it 2

Finally found Old Ezra 7 on the shelf for the first time around my parts...it’s as good as they say

• I like it 5

On 8/16/2020 at 1:57 PM, Clueby said:

I was able to get it (VOB100) for right at $15+t for a long time. Latest bottles were $16.50+t. So puts it just over the $38/1.75. There are 1.75s of VOB100 apparently but I've never seen one.

On 8/16/2020 at 2:43 PM, 0895 said:

Ive only ever seen them in KY.

They have 750ml, 1 liters and 1.75’s of all the different proof variations, but not always all at the same time.

27604296-5578-4EAE-B1F5-7B0CD719539A.jpeg

I picked up a 1.75  in my neck of the woods recently for $35+tax. First time I've seen it...hopefully not the last.

Picked up another one of these:

IMG_5443.thumb.jpg.ab5f60b6c63f99ef5c6edfe1f3ba8ab1.jpg

Now that the KC 12 and 15 are appearing more regularly, the value in these bottles is hard to resist.

• I like it 1

I picked up a Four Roses small batch select today from my local and a regular Woodford Derby gift set with a copper cup from Safeway that was $2 less than a normal Woodford.

Sadly both are hiding in the garage and away from the wife’s eyes since I made too many purchases on our trip out of town last weekend...

1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

image.thumb.jpeg.d51eeb903a9799002f2f134d0f2833dc.jpeg

lucked into a FRSB PS for the bunker. 

Amazing they still have HHBIB! I would’ve bought the shelf.

• I like it 2

5 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Amazing they still have HHBIB! I would’ve bought the shelf.

I'm guessing this is a pick of the 4R after he put it in his bunker. 

4 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Lol context clues, missed that one. I’d still buy the HH if FasterHorses stash was a liquor store...

Got a regular Knob Creek and Buffalo Trace today. Would love to get the 12 or 15 KC, but haven’t seen them around here yet. The regular 9yr (my first bottle since the age statement returned) should scratch that itch a bit while I wait.

This might be considered blasphemy but I will be putting ~6oz of the BT into my infinity bottle straightaway. The infinity bottle is just under half full but has taken on an odd profile sometime recently after being relatively great for the last few months. I figure the BT being familiar to and enjoyed by my palate, but not too aggressive in any one flavor-direction, will be a nice way to kind of reset the profile a bit and then I’ll keep adding other things oz-by-oz as I open new bottles.  I’ll sure enjoy the rest of the BT though too!

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

Yep thats the lower shelf of my bunker with the HHBiBs and the old ezra 7 101s and a few others im trying to forget about. Tempted to break one open all the time but future FH will thank me. 

Edited by FasterHorses

I went in hoping for Weller single barrel, but came out with this instead.

~$50 Otd, First one I’ve owned let alone seen in the wild. 

7B01E973-68E7-4250-A8C1-A964FB9B4A4C.jpeg

• I like it 13

On 8/5/2020 at 10:14 AM, BigSkyDrams said:

Going on a little socially-distanced vacation and do not want to have to visit any stores when I'm at my destination, so I had to pick up something to bring with me.  Easy decision: 1L WT101 FTW!

Just a brief update on this: my gracious host was initially skeptical when he saw what I'd brought for my choice of bourbon for the week.  He's a scotch guy primarily, but when he visits me I always pour him a few drinks of whatever good bourbon I have open at the moment; nevertheless, he was under the misguided impressions that WT101 was swill tailored to those who want to get good and drunk rather than enjoying a quality spirit.  After sharing a few pours with him over the week, that impression was quickly debunked, and he was positively thrilled when I left him the remaining ~40% of the bottle after I departed.  

• I like it 4

13 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Yep thats the lower shelf of my bunker with the HHBiBs and the old ezra 7 101s and a few others im trying to forget about. Tempted to break one open all the time but future FH will thank me. 

Don’t short change yourself from enjoying something in the moment now either.

What if you lost it all tomorrow?

It took me awhile to realize, that if my bunker disappeared tomorrow, I could still easily find stuff on the shelf to enjoy going forward.

Those OE 7/101 are delicious.

I get a toasted marshmallow flavor from them that I just cannot find elsewhere.

• I like it 6

Not today but supposedly picking up a blantons tommorow. Worst case i end up with a wsr.

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

Don’t short change yourself from enjoying something in the moment now either.

What if you lost it all tomorrow?

It took me awhile to realize, that if my bunker disappeared tomorrow, I could still easily find stuff on the shelf to enjoy going forward.

Those OE 7/101 are delicious.

I get a toasted marshmallow flavor from them that I just cannot find elsewhere.

I agree with everything 895 said.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Just a brief update on this: my gracious host was initially skeptical when he saw what I'd brought for my choice of bourbon for the week.  He's a scotch guy primarily, but when he visits me I always pour him a few drinks of whatever good bourbon I have open at the moment; nevertheless, he was under the misguided impressions that WT101 was swill tailored to those who want to get good and drunk rather than enjoying a quality spirit.  After sharing a few pours with him over the week, that impression was quickly debunked, and he was positively thrilled when I left him the remaining ~40% of the bottle after I departed.  

I enjoy the look on a non-bourbon enthusiast's face when they ask what my favorite bourbon is and I answer with Wild Turkey. 

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

But the word of the Lord continued to grow and to be multiplied.

• I like it 7

34 minutes ago, Kepler said:

But the word of the Lord continued to grow and to be multiplied.

Amen brother?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.