What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 11/14/2020 at 2:59 PM, smokinjoe said:

I got to try this at 4R this week and as figured, I loved it, thus meaning I’d never see a bottle.... Luck was on my side, as I saw one in ATL the day after I returned.  Cherry Cola/Cherry Lifesavers up front with great spiciness mid-palate that lingers and peppers the tongue through the finish.  It could have been a bit too much, but the rich mouthfeel and heavy viscosity coats things to keep the spice more than enjoyable.  Balance.  Warm and such a wonderfully controlled oak, considering the age of some of the whiskies in this.   Seriously well blended.  

90F2CF91-E29A-41FE-8892-B7B9626C346F.jpeg

Beautiful pic

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, flahute said:

Are you asking about the standard 100 proof single barrel or the barrel proof private selection single barrels?

Both. It seems they are available regularly...well, at least the single barrel.  When I went to their website there also seems to be a bunch of 4 letter designators for each bottling, as if they have marketed themselves to provide a bunch of different taste points. 

4 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Both. It seems they are available regularly...well, at least the single barrel.  When I went to their website there also seems to be a bunch of 4 letter designators for each bottling, as if they have marketed themselves to provide a bunch of different taste points. 

The 4 letter designations are how they differentiate between their 10 recipes. They have 5 yeast strains and 2 mashbills.

The standard single barrel is always 100 proof and the OBSV recipe. The barrel proof private selections are one of the 10 recipes (including the OBSV).

I'm a 4R fan so I'm biased but I think that they hall hit on a different level, or at least they all can. They are single barrel products so there will be variation and not all of the recipes suit everyone.

In terms of what they compare to, I'd say nothing really. 4R is very unique. I didn't like it when I first tried it. It grew on me over time and became a favorite.

• I like it 3

On 11/14/2020 at 1:59 PM, smokinjoe said:

I got to try this at 4R this week and as figured, I loved it, thus meaning I’d never see a bottle.... Luck was on my side, as I saw one in ATL the day after I returned.  Cherry Cola/Cherry Lifesavers up front with great spiciness mid-palate that lingers and peppers the tongue through the finish.  It could have been a bit too much, but the rich mouthfeel and heavy viscosity coats things to keep the spice more than enjoyable.  Balance.  Warm and such a wonderfully controlled oak, considering the age of some of the whiskies in this.   Seriously well blended.  

90F2CF91-E29A-41FE-8892-B7B9626C346F.jpeg

Wish I could find a bottle, bought a few of the Small Batch Select and loved them, this must be fantastic.

39 minutes ago, flahute said:

The 4 letter designations are how they differentiate between their 10 recipes. They have 5 yeast strains and 2 mashbills.

The standard single barrel is always 100 proof and the OBSV recipe. The barrel proof private selections are one of the 10 recipes (including the OBSV).

I'm a 4R fan so I'm biased but I think that they hall hit on a different level, or at least they all can. They are single barrel products so there will be variation and not all of the recipes suit everyone.

In terms of what they compare to, I'd say nothing really. 4R is very unique. I didn't like it when I first tried it. It grew on me over time and became a favorite.

Thanks so much for the quick lesson. Do you find that the recipes are in some kind of cycled release or do they just keep the product moving? 

4 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Thanks so much for the quick lesson. Do you find that the recipes are in some kind of cycled release or do they just keep the product moving? 

The 10 recipes at barrel proof are private selections done by private groups (like the one I am in) as well as stores and restaurants. Sometimes a distributor will do a pick that gets doled out to various stores that it serves. When you pick at 4R you taste between 7-9 barrels usually and you don't know which recipes you are tasting until you decide what you like. For that reason, there is no rhyme or reason to what is out there. 

• I like it 2

14 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Similar to @flahute, I am also a big Four Roses fan.  My experience was slightly different.  I was hooked from my first taste.

Found another bottle of McKenna 10 year BIB at Kroger W & S for $37.  It came home with me to join it's two brothers.

Decided to not try and fool myself anymore by buying a bottle or 2 or 3 at a time.

Get a discount for buying a case as well.

IMG_1039[1].JPG

• I like it 2

On 11/13/2020 at 4:54 PM, Clueby said:

Waiting for Dan Gardner to recover from covid so we can have a proper 4R evening, but the store released the pick early.  Prayers with Dan!

20201113_163837.jpg

I'm gonna need to visit my local store far too often - the previous pics from Schnucks have been quite good.  And I can't pass up an OESQ...

On 11/16/2020 at 1:08 PM, tascabe said:

Decided to not try and fool myself anymore by buying a bottle or 2 or 3 at a time.

Get a discount for buying a case as well.

IMG_1039[1].JPG

Better watch out, you might get a visit from Harry

• I like it 4

2 minutes ago, fanostra said:

A couple RR SiB picks - warehouses S and B. Cracked open the S and its fantastic.

Cool.  I can't  remember having a S  before, but the old ones didn't  specify the rickhouse.

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Better watch out, you might get a visit from Harry

Harry has already slipped in via the back door and placed a bottle in the trash can by the chair. 

• I like it 3

9 minutes ago, flahute said:

Harry has already slipped in via the back door and placed a bottle in the trash can by the chair. 

Haha ?

On 11/14/2020 at 8:51 PM, BigSkyDrams said:

Picked up an OF Statesman. I think i recall sipping this at some event a few years ago, but don’t really remember anything about it. Being a big fan of the 1920, 1910, and SiB Old Foresters, though, I’m excited to try it! Probably report back on my thoughts in the “what are you drinking” thread later tonight.

This has been in regular rotation for me for the last couple of years.  I have no idea why they keep a movie tie-in still available,  but I'm their amiable sucker for this vanilla-forward, perfect-proof iteration of one of the all-time great mashbills and bourbons. 

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

got this on Monday

And here I thought finishing my ps Larceny in a little under three weeks was pretty quick. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

And here I thought finishing my ps Larceny in a little under three weeks was pretty quick. ?

Biba! Joe

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

just the lighting.  That bottle hasn't been opened yet

Had a real fishnbowljoe day. Picked up a WLW, and a few red and black labels to boot! Now on to the blue and white, on Donner on Blitzen. Like most holiday shoppers I spend more  in a month than the rest of the year combined (on booze of course).

• I like it 7

Bought a liter of EW BIB. I guess I have yet to meet an EW expression I didn't like. The EWSB is almost always on hand here (though not right now, just the EW BIB and its mashbillmate FC 103 on the counter presently...like that one a lot too.)

One of these days I gotta splurge on one of those new OF BIB's...I had some of the last S-W OF BIB (fishnbowljoe got one of my handles, bought 4, kept 3 and enjoyed the heck out of them!) and am curious how this compares. I am a fan of HH in general and have had good luck with their Larceny FWIW...I understand it can be variable but I've been pretty happy so far.

• I like it 2

4 minutes ago, B3Nut said:

Bought a liter of EW BIB. I guess I have yet to meet an EW expression I didn't like. The EWSB is almost always on hand here (though not right now, just the EW BIB and its mashbillmate FC 103 on the counter presently...like that one a lot too.)

One of these days I gotta splurge on one of those new OF BIB's...I had some of the last S-W OF BIB (fishnbowljoe got one of my handles, bought 4, kept 3 and enjoyed the heck out of them!) and am curious how this compares. I am a fan of HH in general and have had good luck with their Larceny FWIW...I understand it can be variable but I've been pretty happy so far.

Those were some fun times back in the day Todd. I was sad when I found out that Fin’s closed. 

• I like it 1

I was too. That was such a great hang there. Post-COVID we'll have to maybe book stuff at Hammy's in Janesville more often...especially out on their patio which is really cool...

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.