What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

First bottle I’ve ever gotten of this.  

@WhiskeyBlender Any chance you could give some notes and thoughts on Batch 31?

18D0FB75-738A-47C1-A07C-442103E8022F.jpeg

The one I just purchased is batch 32, and it is delicious!  It is also the first bottle of this I have gotten, and from now on I will not turn any more down unless it is priced for more than I am willing to pay.  Hindsight being 20/20 I kick myself for turning down 2-3 bottles of this in the near past.

• I like it 4

Most of these (except the Dickel 11 year BIBs) were just picked up yesterday.  They’d been acquired from the same local retailer here online over the past couple months, and I finally got around to collecting them.  

The 4R SiB PS are OESK 10 yr, 4 months and OESV 10 ya, 7 months.  BT is a PS as well.  

FD862390-C6C7-4A2B-B810-25A35D6C470E.jpeg

• I like it 4

It's so hard to find Armagnac here, especially vintages, so sometimes I make a road trip to get them. I grabbed these in SC and most of the bourbon in NC during a day trip. I was quite surprised to find the Beam Signature Craft Brandy Finish bottle in NC, as that's been discontinued for several years now. I had given up on seeing one again. It was also the first time I've seen any of the Yellowstone single barrels, so I hope they are good.

Dartigalongue Armagnac 1980 40yr ($190), 1990 30yr ($140), and 2000 20yr ($105)

Barrell Bourbon Batch 25 $86

Yellowstone Single Barrel NC pick $65

KCSB store pick $52

Beam Signature Craft Brandy Finish $40

AAA 10 Star $16

Elijah Craig Rye $30

IMG_1763.JPG

• I like it 3

31 minutes ago, silverc said:

It's so hard to find Armagnac here, especially vintages, so sometimes I make a road trip to get them. I grabbed these in SC and most of the bourbon in NC during a day trip. I was quite surprised to find the Beam Signature Craft Brandy Finish bottle in NC, as that's been discontinued for several years now. I had given up on seeing one again. It was also the first time I've seen any of the Yellowstone single barrels, so I hope they are good.

Dartigalongue Armagnac 1980 40yr ($190), 1990 30yr ($140), and 2000 20yr ($105)

Barrell Bourbon Batch 25 $86

Yellowstone Single Barrel NC pick $65

KCSB store pick $52

Beam Signature Craft Brandy Finish $40

AAA 10 Star $16

Elijah Craig Rye $30

IMG_1763.JPG

Nice haul!   I have a bottle of the Yellowstone PA store pick and I really really like it.   Looks like Ohio picks are coming soon too according to that site.

18 hours ago, Radioyada said:

The one I just purchased is batch 32, and it is delicious!  It is also the first bottle of this I have gotten, and from now on I will not turn any more down unless it is priced for more than I am willing to pay.  Hindsight being 20/20 I kick myself for turning down 2-3 bottles of this in the near past.

Excellent.  Yeah finished whiskeys are not really my jam so I had been finding excuses not to fire on previous releases, but now that I have the bar space I decided it was time.  Plus it's fun to support a fellow Sb'er.  Thinking this will be my Pour with dessert tomorrow as I anticipate the finishes will create a sweeter profile than the WT lineup I plan to drink throughout the day . . .

• I like it 2

On 11/23/2020 at 11:51 PM, flahute said:

I don't want to over represent this for you but my honest opinion is that this is the best Turkey I've tastes in many years. I think it's super legit.

I have almost zero experience with dusties in general, but I thought this release was VERY different from the regular WT profile.  Lots of oak and a unique kind of musty finish.  Not off putting or anything like that, but had the mustyness and tannins I think one would expect from a older bottling or if you can bottle up the rickhouse.   Very distinctive and as a result seems to be a pour I would go to when I have a hankering for that specific flavor profile.

How did you think this one stands up in comparison with the regular WT line and did you find the overall experience very distinctive and unique when comparing to other recent releases?

13 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I have almost zero experience with dusties in general, but I thought this release was VERY different from the regular WT profile.  Lots of oak and a unique kind of musty finish.  Not off putting or anything like that, but had the mustyness and tannins I think one would expect from a older bottling or if you can bottle up the rickhouse.   Very distinctive and as a result seems to be a pour I would go to when I have a hankering for that specific flavor profile.

How did you think this one stands up in comparison with the regular WT line and did you find the overall experience very distinctive and unique when comparing to other recent releases?

I've had some dusty Turkey and a 1974 8yr 101 stands out as being other worldly - one of the best bourbons I've ever tasted. And early 80's version of the same was also very good but not at the same level as the '74. WTMK 17 BIB does not taste like those though it has some similar qualities. I agree with you that the 17 is very different from the standard Turkey profile. It seems the extra age mutes some of the spicy bite that Turkey is known for. It replaces it with the oak profile you mention. What makes this work for me is that the oak is managed perfectly for my palate. I tend to be very sensitive to oak in older bourbons in that it can completely ruin it for me. These barrels were surely taken from a lower floor, probably 1st or 2nd floor. When you get that age without extracting all the wood sugars from the barrel too soon which then get replaced by tannins, you get a bourbon like this. It has a complexity that is not present in the standard line. (And that's not taking anything away from the standard line).

Interestingly, the '20 4R LE SmB that I just opened has a similar flavor and complexity and it has about a 25% component of a 20yr old bourbon in it.

• I like it 1

Was out at lunch today, and stopped in to get my Thanksgiving WTRB, and decided on a few other goodies.  I’m excited to get into all of these ASAP!  Particularly curious on the Whistlepig.  

D95D4837-44B7-4D30-BB20-955F576D7D67.jpeg

• I like it 4

Just ordered ECBP C920 from K&L online.  One bottle limit and first time I've seen this in CA.  On Monday ordered from same source Smoke Wagon Uncut and Unfiltered.  Can't wait for these to arrive.   

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Was out at lunch today, and stopped in to get my Thanksgiving WTRB, and decided on a few other goodies.  I’m excited to get into all of these ASAP!  Particularly curious on the Whistlepig.  

D95D4837-44B7-4D30-BB20-955F576D7D67.jpeg

I've heard the WP Rye is super spicy. A friend has reflux and said it really bothered him, he had to just throw it to the back for guests.  

33 minutes ago, WD40 said:

I've heard the WP Rye is super spicy. A friend has reflux and said it really bothered him, he had to just throw it to the back for guests.  

I’ll post thoughts when I dive in to it, and see if the spice is strong.  I like a spicy whiskey, as long as it is tempered and balanced out by other elements in the pour.  This bottle is a private barrel select from Dekalb Bottle House, here in ATL.  They have a record of great private selections, so I’m thinking this will be very good.  I learned that it is definitely Alberta Distillers, and not LDI.  16 yrs old.  Really looking forward to getting in to it.

• I like it 1

Only need the two O recipes now.  The KC was on sale for $26 and the MM46 for $32. I don’t think I’ve ever owned a bottle of either, but recall enjoying quite a bit of KC9 last Thanksgiving when the FIL bought a 1.75. 

742A3742-3928-4CF7-A2D0-338DB7A4F15A.jpeg

Parker’s Heritage 10 year (heavy char) waiting on my youngest son and his girlfriend to come in for Thanksgiving.  This will be the pour for the evening.  THH is on deck for the Holiday!

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Only need the two O recipes now.  The KC was on sale for $26 and the MM46 for $32. I don’t think I’ve ever owned a bottle of either, but recall enjoying quite a bit of KC9 last Thanksgiving when the FIL bought a 1.75. 

742A3742-3928-4CF7-A2D0-338DB7A4F15A.jpeg

Sheesh... in comparison to most other places, it already seemed like at $36 KC was priced high here in NC... and now they went and raised it to $40. ?

I missed out on the first Maker's Mark Wood Finishing Series RC5 (2019) last year.  I saw a few bottles at Costco but being in a hurry and not knowing what it was I passed.  I went back the next day and they were gone.  Today, I ran across a single bottle of the second series SE4XPR5 at the local Kroger.  The price was $53.99.  My wife said it was a good price so I bought it.

To be honest, I have always found regular MM46 to be meh and I typically find finished bourbons a mixed bag.  I have always enjoyed MM46 private selections, especially the ones with 10 MM46 staves.  I have enjoyed others as well.  

I decided to open it tonight and will post my impressions in the what are you drinking forum.

Tonight should be the final bourbon purchase for the year for me. I know there is a bottle of non bourbon in the picture, but I like that one a lot.   The bottle on the left was given to me to see how I like it.

54B6D18C-05C7-40F4-8BC1-E9EA3E4FC19C.jpeg

• I like it 4

A little over a month ago I had vowed to not buy anything for the rest of 2020. A few of you told me I wouldn't make it. You guys were correct. All the talk of favorite pours of the year and me having finished my last KC12 a while back triggered me to head to the store. 

This is such a wonderful whiskey. 

20201125_203549.jpg

• I like it 9

Just now, JCwhammie said:

A little over a month ago I had vowed to not buy anything for the rest of 2020. A few of you told me I wouldn't make it. You guys were correct. All the talk of favorite pours of the year and me having finished my last KC12 a while back triggered me to head to the store. 

20201125_203549.jpg

I think KC has risen to the top over the 12 months for most of us! Enjoy the delish pour 

• I like it 1

37 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

20201125_203549.jpg

I've still yet to try that one.

14 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I've still yet to try that one.

Me too. Although I bought a bottle over a month ago, just haven't gotten around to cracking it yet. What's your excuse, Lol.

16 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Me too. Although I bought a bottle over a month ago, just haven't gotten around to cracking it yet. What's your excuse, Lol.

I haven't snuck in @JCwhammie basement yet! I keep seeing seeat stores on the shelf and have even had it my hand a time or two but something new and shiny always gets in the way.

8 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I haven't snuck in @JCwhammie basement yet! I keep seeing seeat stores on the shelf and have even had it my hand a time or two but something new and shiny always gets in the way.

Haha yep I get it.  Here on SB we have memberships for the Cult, Turkeyheads, Lawrenceburg Men, and even our own resident Weller Whore.

Maybe we need a club for those of us who have excellent bottles we already KNOW are great, but we still haven't gotten around to trying yet! We will need a name for said club ...

I delivered Thanksgiving goodies to some of our family members after work today. I also picked up some bourbon goodies. Mike grabbed three handles of Weller SR for me this past weekend, and I took possession of them today. He also gifted me a PS OFSB. I gave him a Larceny gift set, and the remaining  2/3’s of PS EC that he liked, but just wasn’t doing it for me anymore. He also gave me a sample of the current BOTM, so I’ll be having a couple of different turkeys this Thanksgiving. It just sucks that I won’t be able to enjoy them with my family and friends. 

As a side note here, I had to make a couple of stops on my way home tonight. Long story, short, I stopped at a liquor store that I rarely visit. They had Blanton’s and Weller SR. ? The Blanton’s was $189.99 and the Weller SR (750 ml) was $49.99. ?The handles of Weller SR Mike picked up for me cost $38.99 each.  ;) Every once in a while. Thanks Mike.

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

• I like it 8

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.