What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

7 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

1604649041_BlantonsGold.thumb.jpg.e71ecc8e8660d9da3ea4a1cc6861f788.jpg

Pre-job quarantine just got a little more bearable...

Got any open positions I could apply for?

?

• I like it 1

8BA8B781-C7C9-461D-9DEC-E8B4B28E2F87.thumb.jpeg.4a7e45e4d89be8da226998354f807d98.jpegFinally found the right shop in town.  I don’t see these a lot. When I do they are $25 or more over msrp.  So, I pass because I’m cheap.  But I finally found a store amply stocked and pricing right at msrp.  

• I like it 4

5 hours ago, 0895 said:

Got any open positions I could apply for?

?

Unless your name is Erika Eleniak and know your way around a big cake, there is no room left on Tot’s boat...  😙

E011D72E-3EA1-488B-BE8C-BB19F6FD4C91.jpeg

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Unless your name is Erika Eleniak and know your way around a big cake, there is no room left on Tot’s boat...  😙

E011D72E-3EA1-488B-BE8C-BB19F6FD4C91.jpeg

LOLOLOL!

• I like it 1

40 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

image.thumb.jpeg.716d7f58810c1bfdba70f6ccda359940.jpeg

i know what it is.. but this is nice..if your store does a pick its worth the $59

Did you intentionally seek out bottle #69?

• I like it 2

Always enjoyed MMCS but the initial pricing ($50 for a 375 mL IIRC?) pushed it out of my consideration.  Virtual shelf gazing on-line and seeing the price at $40 for a 750 mL convinced me to pull the trigger.  

• I like it 3

14 hours ago, 0895 said:

Did you intentionally seek out bottle #69?

Nosir.  Just a few left and most were grubby with fingerprints 

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, KSJon said:

8BA8B781-C7C9-461D-9DEC-E8B4B28E2F87.thumb.jpeg.4a7e45e4d89be8da226998354f807d98.jpegFinally found the right shop in town.  I don’t see these a lot. When I do they are $25 or more over msrp.  So, I pass because I’m cheap.  But I finally found a store amply stocked and pricing right at msrp.  

The C batches of ECBP have been so good the last couple years and I have seen reviews that claim more of that this year... Can't wait for them to hit MI

Weather got cool ebough to send some other bottles, so a good buddy filled out the case with these.  One will be in @fosmith’s bunker next time we meet up.......

918108CA-C573-43E9-B9D1-3B9A5F4D674E.jpeg

• I like it 5

On 12/23/2020 at 12:34 PM, GeeTen said:

Attention @WhiskeyBlender!  

Hit the Joseph A. Magnus & Co. Daily Double today:

Magnus Daily Double.jpg

The Murray Hill CLub is Bottle 191/700 of Batch 13, 51.5% ABV (103 pf).  The Cigar Blend is Bottle 293/375 of Batch 31, 59.63% ABV (119,26 pf).

Been looking for a Cigar Blend "forevah!" since running into a Murray Hill Club in Florida a couple of years ago (seems like a lifetime ago).

Nancy, can you tell me more about these two (2) bottles, please?   ? 

Hey there @GeeTen and @mal00768, glad you guys managed to snag a bottle of Cigar Blend! @GeeTen, looks like you got batch #31 while @mal00768 got batch #34. So, both #31 and #34 come from the same "coupe mere" (mother blend) of 16 Bourbon barrels ranging from 13.5 to 20 years old. These mixture of these 16 barrels then go into 6 separate Armagnac casks. For these particular six batch releases (29-34), they would have been finishing in the Armagnac casks for 5 months. It always varies how long I leave the batches in the barrels. It could be as short as 4 months if there are a lot of tannins in the Armagnac casks and they are basking in the heat of summer, all the way to well over a year. 

@GeeTen, the bottle from your batch, which I named "James Bond," came from Armagnac cask number #11, while @mal00768's bottle came from Armagnac cask #14. The batch that came from cask #14 I named "L'Artagnan vs. The Santa Fe Six-Shooter."

Hope that helps, and hope you fellas are enjoying them! 

Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 8

Went to Bellevue this morning to pick up a couple whiskey club bottles from New Riff. Talked myself into walking thru TPS. Came away with a MC, some Ryan's for my coffee and a 4 pack of Founders Blushing Monk for football on Friday.

Also grabbed some budget bourbons. A Rebel 100 for $17, and a couple T.W.Samuels family sized for $21 each. A HH bonded 1.75 sized for 21 bucks...yes please!

• I like it 1

37 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Hey there @GeeTen and @mal00768, glad you guys managed to snag a bottle of Cigar Blend! @GeeTen, looks like you got batch #31 while @mal00768 got batch #34. So, both #31 and #34 come from the same "coupe mere" (mother blend) of 16 Bourbon barrels ranging from 13.5 to 20 years old. These mixture of these 16 barrels then go into 6 separate Armagnac casks. For these particular six batch releases (29-34), they would have been finishing in the Armagnac casks for 5 months. It always varies how long I leave the batches in the barrels. It could be as short as 4 months if there are a lot of tannins in the Armagnac casks and they are basking in the heat of summer, all the way to well over a year. 

@GeeTen, the bottle from your batch, which I named "James Bond," came from Armagnac cask number #11, while @mal00768's bottle came from Armagnac cask #14. The batch that came from cask #14 I named "L'Artagnan vs. The Santa Fe Six-Shooter."

Cheers,

Nancy

Thanks for your comments.  Always helpful and informative.  Hope to see you soon!  😋

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Cheers,

Nancy

Thanks, love the comments!

Did you also christen this batch with a few atoms of the original Magnus bourbon?

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Phil T said:

Went to Bellevue this morning to pick up a couple whiskey club bottles from New Riff. Talked myself into walking thru TPS. Came away with a MC, some Ryan's for my coffee and a 4 pack of Founders Blushing Monk for football on Friday.

Also grabbed some budget bourbons. A Rebel 100 for $17, and a couple T.W.Samuels family sized for $21 each. A HH bonded 1.75 sized for 21 bucks...yes please!

Could you clarify the HH bonded with a pic? Is this a dusty or do they make a 1.75 in the new 7 year BiB?

8C2DDFF8-1328-4358-B1D1-FCAA288363EF.thumb.jpeg.3109bb56603c788bd14704615ea80cfa.jpeg

Happy to have snagged these today!  Got lucky on the JD thanks to a tip, but I actually saw the Alberta at two different stores.  

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, mal00768 said:

Thanks, love the comments!

Did you also christen this batch with a few atoms of the original Magnus bourbon?

@mal00768, drat, no I didn't! But I did christen Cigar Blend batch #1 with a few drops of the original Magnus. I also added a few to the Family Reserve that was released a few years ago, and I've also added a few drops to the upcoming Family Reserve release. I keep a little bit of the original 1892 Magnus in "an undisclosed location in Berkeley, CA" (🤣), so that's what I use. Joseph Magnus' great-great grandson's family keeps the rest. 

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 3

I purchased a bottle of Booker’s Pigskin Batch 2020-03 a couple of weeks ago. I liked it so much, I added another to the bunker today. 

ECEB1FD3-43C3-46E3-82AF-8DE6FD1CF6F4.jpeg

• I like it 4

9 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Could you clarify the HH bonded with a pic? Is this a dusty or do they make a 1.75 in the new 7 year BiB?

Faster,

This is one of several NAS bonded bourbons put out by HH. The others are:

Evan Williams 

J.W. Dant

J.T.S. Brown

Prost!!  Phil

16093132107804646722659472793216.jpg

16093132725008679327622472914218.jpg

2 hours ago, Phil T said:

Faster,

This is one of several NAS bonded bourbons put out by HH. The others are:

Evan Williams 

J.W. Dant

J.T.S. Brown

Prost!!  Phil

16093132107804646722659472793216.jpg

16093132725008679327622472914218.jpg

Oh! Thanks Phil. I left some old gold and red HH BiB  1.75 on the shelf a year or two ago and have regretted it. Thought there may be some still out there. 
Do any of those come close to the HHBiB 6?

1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

Oh! Thanks Phil. I left some old gold and red HH BiB  1.75 on the shelf a year or two ago and have regretted it. Thought there may be some still out there. 

They are all similar,  but to my palate, the youth of the whiskey is apparent...YMMV. I'm thinking they are all barely over the minimum of 4 years old. Still, solid and inexpensive bourbons. 

On 10/30/2020 at 5:23 PM, silverc said:

Some pickups this week at VA ABC (ECBP C920) and at Smooth Ambler's distillery in WV.

IMG_1528.JPG

Never seen or heard of the old Scout and I live in WV (Wheeling). How was it?

5 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Last year I did a sbs with HH 6 BiB, EW BiB and JW Dant and, to my palate, they were pretty close to each other, i.e., the differences were pretty subtle.  My takeaway was that the EW and Dant are adequate substitutes for the discontinued HH6. 

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, parksmart said:

Weather got cool ebough to send some other bottles, so a good buddy filled out the case with these.  One will be in @fosmith’s bunker next time we meet up.......

Very excited to try the Early Times BiB as it's never been available here in CA.  And, especially now that the brand has been sold to Sazarac.  Thanks Gene! 

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.