What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Total Wine had MM for $22 tonight, so I grabbed one and an EC while I was at it. Yeah MM kind of dies on the finish but it's comfort bourbon. ;) Been buying it more since I'm not gigging and gigs are where I usually get MM...  

8 hours ago, BMartin42 said:

And they are running their penny promos. Any can of Binny’s peanuts for a penny with the purchase of a standard MM.!  Bonus. 

Yeah I saw that.  I just might have to make a run after work  today. :rolleyes:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

33 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Yeah I saw that.  I just might have to make a run after work  today. :rolleyes:

Biba! Joe

We're not running anywhere today - 18" of snow or more from 2nd Nor'Easter of the season!  Sounds like a Joe's 2018 Weller Blend kind of day, no?   ?

Update:

OMG, got W107, W12 but NO WSR in the bunker!  How the heck did that happen????   Guess it's a wee dram of Weller Centennial for now to help me over the hump . . . .  ?

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 5

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

We're not running anywhere today - 18" of snow or more from 2nd Nor'Easter of the season!  Sounds like a Joe's 2018 Weller Blend kind of day, no?   ?

Update:

OMG, got W107, W12 but NO WSR in the bunker!  How the heck did that happen????   Guess it's a wee dram of Weller Centennial for now to help me over the hump . . . .  ?

You should go to a neighbor and ask “may I borrow a cup of WSR?”

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Ohh you poor soul!

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I didn’t purchase anything today. However, we did get our normal weekly advertisements in the mail today. Sale at Binny’s! I know, I know, I know. I really don’t need any more bourbon, but MM for $19.99!!! What’s a mother to do? ?

Biba! Joe

14 hours ago, BMartin42 said:

And they are running their penny promos. Any can of Binny’s peanuts for a penny with the purchase of a standard MM.!  Bonus. 

This is true.  I picked up the MM gift set with two holiday glasses and a jar of Maraschino Cherries for $20 even!  Pretty solid deal.  Probably would have preferred the peanuts had I known that was an option. 

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Update:

Wow, that is some serious snow!  Makes it easy to stay inside and drink bourbon though!

Actually I am nearly in the same boat.  Think maybe just one WSR.  It's up to $30 here and quite frankly at that price point there is quite a bit of competition at or below so I rarely buy it anymore.  Still think it is a perfectly good daily and the $30 level is probably where it always punched at, but it's no longer a value buy for me. 

5 hours ago, parksmart said:

You should go to a neighbor and ask “may I borrow a cup of WSR?”

Not my neighbors, they know better than to give me bourbon.  I'd never buy my own any more!   ?

• I like it 2

while I was out last night I picked up a replacement bottle of OF 100 proof since I had been out for a while. Then at another store I found a store pick of EC so I couldn't resist that either.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

This is true.  I picked up the MM gift set with two holiday glasses and a jar of Maraschino Cherries for $20 even!  Pretty solid deal.  Probably would have preferred the peanuts had I known that was an option. 

I was looking at the gift sets last weekend Ben. I chose not to get either one. One had an ornament, another had the glasses. We don’t put up a regular Xmas tree at our house. We use small antique ceramic ones that were  my mothers or my wife’s grandmothers. So no need for the ornament. Glasses? I got rid of a crap ton of glasses at my brother and sister in laws garage sales over the years. I even pawned a few off, uhhh, I mean gave Galvin0791 some. I’ve also gifted some of my glasses to others here. And I still have a bunch. ?

Anyway, I opted for a MM 101 last weekend. We’ll see what happens tomorrow or Saturday. Stay tuned.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Double C's said:

while I was out last night I picked up a replacement bottle of OF 100 proof since I had been out for a while. Then at another store I found a store pick of EC so I couldn't resist that either.

See, I ain’t the only one. ?

Nice grabs Double C’s. I hope you enjoy them both. 

Biba! Joe

13 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Update:

I am sure you won't run short of options.  Stay safe friend.  This storm looks brutal.  

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I was looking at the gift sets last weekend Ben. I chose not to get either one. One had an ornament, another had the glasses. We don’t put up a regular Xmas tree at our house. We use small antique ceramic ones that were  my mothers or my wife’s grandmothers. So no need for the ornament. Glasses? I got rid of a crap ton of glasses at my brother and sister in laws garage sales over the years. I even pawned a few off, uhhh, I mean gave Galvin0791 some. I’ve also gifted some of my glasses to others here. And I still have a bunch. ?

Anyway, I opted for a MM 101 last weekend. We’ll see what happens tomorrow or Saturday. Stay tuned.

Biba! Joe

I am heading back to the store where I left the MM101 sitting at the checkout counter.  They expect me back for their sale on Saturday.  I don't want to disappoint.  Cheap bastard always honors a sale.

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I am heading back to the store where I left the MM101 sitting at the checkout counter.  They expect me back for their sale on Saturday.  I don't want to disappoint.  Cheap bastard always honors a sale.

I like MM, MMCS and MM46. IMHO, MM 101 is at the very least a step above those bottlings. I’m pretty sure it’s gonna be holding down a spot as a regular on my open shelf. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Glasses? I got rid of a crap ton of glasses at my brother and sister in laws garage sales over the years. I even pawned a few off, uhhh, I mean gave Galvin0791 some. I’ve also gifted some of my glasses to others here. And I still have a bunch. ?

Yep, I've never bought the gift sets before, but new house remember?  Cabinets are all pretty deep so there is all sorts of storage at the back and I figure it doesn't hurt to accumulate some lowball cocktail glasses that I won't care if they get broken or whatnot down the road.

On topic I picked up some daily drinker types for the upcoming holidays, an EW SiB, RR 6yr Rye and good old WT101.  My BIL already texted me a picture of the MM101 and Larceny he is bringing so we are all set!  I also purchased several of the RRSiB Rick B floor 4 that I assisted with the pick.  Took a deep dive into it last night watching the game.  This one is off profile as it lacks the bold spiciness of most RR.  The nose was incredible with loads of caramel.  Like those individually wrapped milk caramels.  That carried over to the palate where all of the normal vanilla and caramel notes were present, with a good amount of creamyness, but softened vs the normal bold in your face profile.  Really drank below its proof and I actually would have guessed it was a Kentucky Spirit pick and not RR.  Very happy to have this change of pace barrel in the lineup.  

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

See, I ain’t the only one. ?

Nice grabs Double C’s. I hope you enjoy them both. 

Biba! Joe

The store pick EC seems to be almost the exact same profile as the standard offering if my memory is correct. I will have to dive into the bunker and pull out a regular bottling for a sbs at some point for verification.

• I like it 1

Dropped the kid with the in-laws this morning and made a bee-line to the liquor store....with a quick stop at Five Guys in between.

This was my bounty.

Happy pre-Christmas weekend, folks! I love this time of year, and hope all of you find some joy in safely celebrating with family and friends. And with plenty of delicious booze, of course. 

17390D54-C4A0-47CD-BF99-1B1557D06A67.jpeg

Edited by Rhettro
  • I like it 5

Picked up some big, bold and beautiful (right to left) today.  Sipping the MM now.  Not usually a fan, but taking a second look (sip) now!

1218201828a.jpg

• I like it 3

44 minutes ago, Bret Bret said:

Picked up some big, bold and beautiful (right to left) today.  Sipping the MM now.  Not usually a fan, but taking a second look (sip) now!

1218201828a.jpg

I really struggled with the MM SE4 PR5.  I am not much for finished bourbons.  I previously posted my impressions in the forums that it just wasn't in my wheelhouse.   Earlier in the week I was talking with a co-worker about bourbon as he is an aficionado as well.  I told him I found it to be dry on the palate with a woody finish.  He said he had never tried it but would like to.  I said "Hey man, I will bring in what I have left in the bottle so you can give it a try.  If you find it not to your liking you can make cocktails out of it."

I occasionally swap samples with friends and co-workers and I like to do so before a weekend so they can spend some time enjoying them.  Then we can discuss opinions the following week.  I am also occasionally on the receiving end.  So, last night I decided to try a couple of pours before gifting the remainder of the bottle to him.  I don't like giving small samples so I wanted to leave 1/3 of a bottle or more.  What do you know.  These pours were very good.  I actually enjoyed them.  So after telling him I found the bourbon dry, I told him this morning how good it was.  

I feel much better because while I realize everyone's palate and preferences are different I don't gift or share bourbon that I believe is crap.  I hope you and he both enjoy your pours as much as I did my last pours in the bottle I had. 

The end result of my experience is that you will really enjoy.  But, if not at first, give it time.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

Go Big or Go Home!  

My local is owned by a friend who let me know about a special barrel drop a few days ahead of time. 

I was in the store this morning and picked up a case of a private selection Jack Daniels SBBP "Double Barrel" AND a case of single barrel, barrel proof Starlight.  I've been saving up my bourbon budget.  Today was the day to spend it! 

The Starlight is 4.5 years old and is a beautiful, sweet brown sugar and butter bomb.  Finishing with a strong strawberries and cream, this one is special.  I've only now just learned of this outfit, but will be looking for more of their barrels.  Starlight.  Get some!  

The JD Double Barrel, "Say What Again!", is also exquisite.  The banana note comes in toward the middle and finish as a fully integrated warm, buttered walnut-banana bread.  Just exactly my kind of whiskey.  Wow.  

Both now bunkered deep enough to drink for a decade.  I love single barrel private selections!   

• I like it 2

Went grocery shopping today and picked up a bottle of Evan Williams Black Label for $8.99 plus tax.  This is my go to when I want an uncomplicated but tasty lower proof bourbon.  Best value on the bottom shelf, IMO.

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.