What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

9 hours ago, PaulO said:

I'll see if I can find the title.  Several years ago, I read a book that had collected the most famous stories.  I've visited Stepp Cemetery several times in the past, but saw no ghosts.  It was one of those things.  Will you go, unless you are chicken.

16 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I also recall the Stepp Cemetery.  Isn't that the one where you step up 100 steps or something and then you have to count the same number of steps on the way down?  If not, a spirit will knock you down.

I am not an expert on Indiana urban legends but I also recall stories about spirits, and weird things and noises in the Hanna House, the Murat Temple, and old Central State Hospital in Indianapolis.  

Sorry for the thread drift folks. Hannah house I vaguely remember. Silly me, the one I was thinking of was the old Bolton/Churchman house in  my hometown of Beech Grove. Dohh!  The family of a classmate of mine actually owned part of the property, and what was left of the house. They tried to preserve a turret/tower from the front corner of the old mansion. The original house was allegedly a stop on the Underground Railroad. It supposedly had hidden passages that connected to tunnels coming out of the basement. These tunnels were used by former slaves as an escape route leading to the creek at the bottom of the hill that the house sat on. I tend to believe this because I personally saw the remnants of stone walls sloping down the hill. They were almost completely covered in weeds and brush, but you could tell it had been a tunnel or pathway in times past. The story about this place was that at certain times you could hear voices along the creek. The voices were from the former slaves that were being led out of the area, and heading on to the next stop on the Underground Railroad.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Well, all good things come to an end I guess. Atlanta is pretty well picked over, but pre-pandemic at least I still had a couple out of the way shops that I could count on whenever I wanted WSR and know it would be there for $19-21. Went in for the first time in over a year, and WSR rang up $36.99. No thanks. It made me go back through the aisle and check out other prices - MM101 for $89.99, Blanton's for $89.99. They did have ECBP for $69.99 which isn't terrible, but I didn't feel like spending money at that point. I also spotted a Little Book behind the counter for $299 on the way out...

Blantons and ECBP certainly high price but not too terrible if really wanted it.  Retailer certainly making hefty profit.  If offered at standard suggested retail they wouldn't be there.  The Little Book I did find obscene. It's on the shelf here for $125.  And MM101 for 89.99, WTF? Rest of world has it for a whole lot cheaper.  That store maybe not your friend.

9 minutes ago, dad-proof said:

...- MM101 for $89.99, Blanton's for $89.99. They did have ECBP for $69.99 which isn't terrible, but I didn't feel like spending money at that point. I also spotted a Little Book behind the counter for $299 on the way out...

6 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

...Hannah house I vaguely remember....The family of a classmate of mine actually owned part of the property, and what was left of the house....The story about this place was that at certain times you could hear voices along the creek. The voices were from the former slaves that were being led out of the area, and heading on to the next stop on the Underground Railroad.

I'm NOT doubting voices along creek at all.  But ethereal remnants usually follow bad death or great pain.  Slaves on underground joyful and not prone to violent death.  I'm NOT discounting voices, but source requires further investigation.   ?

• I like it 1

Drove my wife to visit a friend of hers that’s 50 mins away.  While they caught up over a socially distanced late lunch, I drove to a nearby wine store in a very tony retail and restaurant complex. As I waited to pick up a couple bottles that I’d ordered from them awhile back, I perused the liquor selection while the bottles were being retrieved from storage.  Passed on the following:

KC 12 - $59.99

ECBP - $79.99

KC 15 - $149.99

Hancock’s Reserve - $149.99

Ended up walking out with just the two bottles that I’d ordered.

8 hours ago, fosmith said:

Ouch!  That would hurt.  ER10 is pretty much always available here in SF Bay Area for under $30.  One of the few advantages (bourbon wise) that we have over the rest of the country.  Weller has become unobtanium over the last few years...

I was in SW Florida and most of the BT products are hard to find $60-85 is becoming the norm for ER 10

i have my best luck at MSRP at Walgreens 

Weller is controlled by ABC Liquors here and allocated to their members on a point system 

I can often find some of the Wellers in Chicago though 

5 minutes ago, parksmart said:

Drove my wife to visit a friend of hers that’s 50 mins away.  While they caught up over a socially distanced late lunch, I drove to a nearby wine store in a very tony retail and restaurant complex. As I waited to pick up a couple bottles that I’d ordered from them awhile back, I perused the liquor selection while the bottles were being retrieved from storage.  Passed on the following:

KC 12 - $59.99

ECBP - $79.99

KC 15 - $149.99

Hancock’s Reserve - $149.99

Ended up walking out with just the two bottles that I’d ordered.

Why did you pass on KC12? I think that's a normal price for it but I could be wrong. I think it's a great bourbon.

• I like it 1

11 minutes ago, flahute said:

Why did you pass on KC12? I think that's a normal price for it but I could be wrong. I think it's a great bourbon.

Couple Costcos here had it this past week for cheaper!

CEB968F5-FF5A-4657-9323-2EE0C4AAFBB8.jpeg

• I like it 3

6 minutes ago, parksmart said:

Couple Costcos here had it this past week for cheaper!

CEB968F5-FF5A-4657-9323-2EE0C4AAFBB8.jpeg

Well heck. Great call! I'd walk out with all 5 of those.

1 minute ago, flahute said:

Well heck. Great call! I'd walk out with all 5 of those.

If I run into any more, I’ll snag them and await your next trip to the Bay......

Just now, parksmart said:

If I run into any more, I’ll snag them and await your next trip to the Bay......

It's a deal. I am now buying you two pours.

Passed on 1792 BiB and McKenna 10 yr @ $60. I was excited when I saw the 1792 BiB because I don’t see it often but just couldn’t do $60.

2 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

Passed on 1792 BiB and McKenna 10 yr @ $60. I was excited when I saw the 1792 BiB because I don’t see it often but just couldn’t do $60.

Sometimes its $35 and down the road its $119..weird one but you did the right thing

Took a quick peek at Costco bourbon selection. I just bought a new bottle of the SBS so passed, but happy to see large amounts of it available. 

Then I saw the Rare Breed for $42 and that one HAD to come home with me. Along with a regular 4R Small Batch. Think that will be a good 4R gateway for the BIL tomorrow. And go well over a big cube with crab!

On 12/18/2020 at 8:43 PM, Kepler said:

Passed on this for the third and fourth time today (visited 2 stores today).  I may have gotten over the hump on this one. This may even be a sign of bourbon zen really taking root. Time will tell.

I finally passed on the Still Austin "Musician" for good after I was luckily able to taste a sample at a store.  Too young tasting for me for a $40 bourbon.  Although its going to be a good product and that is evident in the basic taste. These upstart distilleries have their tricks to 'speed up' the aging process but it still doesn't substitute for the real thing. 

I saw more tough bottles today in multiples each than in years— probably due to the decimated on-premise— offered at or below retail. ETL, RHF, W12, WA107, WSR, M10, Stagg Jr, Blanton’s, CEHT Rye, CEHT Single Barrel, Mic Drop, Hancock’s. Played hard to get and bought rum instead, figuring that cashing in my chips on such low-hanging fruit would eliminate me from the serious bottle round. Where there’s smoke, there’s fire. 

• I like it 3

8 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

I saw more tough bottles today in multiples each than in years— probably due to the decimated on-premise— offered at or below retail. ETL, RHF, W12, WA107, WSR, M10, Stagg Jr, Blanton’s, CEHT Rye, CEHT Single Barrel, Mic Drop, Hancock’s. Played hard to get and bought rum instead, figuring that cashing in my chips on such low-hanging fruit would eliminate me from the serious bottle round. Where there’s smoke, there’s fire. 

Wow, that's some deep strategy.  Or, you might say, "Stra-tater-gey" ? ?

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Yeah, whatever your strategy, it appears to be working. ?

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

Yeah, whatever your strategy, it appears to be working. ?

Totally hit or miss-- but playing hard to get seems to be a refreshing change for LS owners beleaguered with  desperate and aggressive blantonseekers.

• I like it 2

Hit up a boutique alcohol purveyor local chain, while waiting for the wife to finish up at work.  This chain caters to a higher-end crowd that doesn’t want to waste time finding that special bottle.  Plenty to pass on:

W12 - $200

WFP - $350

WSiB - $500

OF BIB 14 year - $325

4R LESmB - $400

Blanton’s - $85

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.