What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, soulsea said:

Is it the same as this?

0-E1-ED660-B84-C-462-E-A020-C08-B1574774

Local TW store got 11 cases of it. Not a huge 1792 fan so I passed as well. 

The ones I passed on were K&L picks.  Limit one of each.

What is the max price you would pay for the following bottles... Keeping in mind... I have never been able to get my hands on them personally and have the opportunity now today!

-Weller 12 year

-High West Midwinters Night Dram

-EH Taylor Straight Rye

55 minutes ago, SteveoT said:

What is the max price you would pay for the following bottles... Keeping in mind... I have never been able to get my hands on them personally and have the opportunity now today!

-Weller 12 year

-High West Midwinters Night Dram

-EH Taylor Straight Rye

IMO you’re better off posting an estimate of what you could get these for.  For the SBers who are lucky to live in areas of the country where Weller and CEHT bottles appear on shelves at reasonable prices, they’ll have a different perspective on what is proper pricing compared to folks who are in areas where supplies are far too low to meet demand.  

For example, W12 in CA or NYC for a price less than triple digits is almost a non-existent occurrence nowadays, and gets snapped up immediately when it does.  Plenty of SBers in states like KY and TX would blanch at paying much above MSRP for the same bottle.  

1 minute ago, parksmart said:

IMO you’re better off posting an estimate of what you could get these for.  For the SBers who are lucky to live in areas of the country where Weller and CEHT bottles appear on shelves at reasonable prices, they’ll have a different perspective on what is proper pricing compared to folks who are in areas where supplies are far too low to meet demand.  

For example, W12 in CA or NYC for a price less than triple digits is almost a non-existent occurrence nowadays, and gets snapped up immediately when it does.  Plenty of SBers in states like KY and TX would blanch at paying much above MSRP for the same bottle.  

Fair enough... I'm in western New York so these bottles are very rare here.  Special Reserve is usually the only Weller we see occasionally and usually asking price is $50+ for the 750ml.

Asking prices:

Weller 12 - $110

Midwinder - $99

EHT Rye - $76

2 minutes ago, SteveoT said:

Fair enough... I'm in western New York so these bottles are very rare here.  Special Reserve is usually the only Weller we see occasionally and usually asking price is $50+ for the 750ml.

Asking prices:

Weller 12 - $110

Midwinder - $99

EHT Rye - $76

Like you, I’m in a “bourbon desert” for things like W12 and CEHT (other than one place here that still sells Small Batch at regular intervals for a fair price, but those sell out within minutes).  W12 and CEHT Rye at those prices are likely the best you’ll see in your area.  Unless you’ve got connections in the South/Midwest that can get you those bottles cheaper, I’d recommend you bite the bullet on those.

The latest MWND I’ve seen for cheaper here.  Distribution is much better for those IMO.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, parksmart said:

Unless someone has a really good relationship with a store owner there's next to no chance of getting W12 at retail in KY. It's the same here in MO. The only exception is being involved in a lottery. I was able to get a liter of W12 for $30 about 2.5 years ago. I dont anticipate that happening again unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, parksmart said:

The ones I passed on were K&L picks.  Limit one of each.

I get a little confused with store picks.

Is the 1792 FP we both passed on fundamentally the same bourbon but K&L and total wine picked different barrels?

If so is there typically any taste real difference in the different store picks or is it more of a marketing ploy for each store to say they have something unique but the bottle content is all but identical.

Over the last year I must have tasted five different store picks of the Weller FP and the generic version and I for one couldn't tell any difference between any of them ... but as is often the case,  that could be a me issue. :)

2 hours ago, soulsea said:

I get a little confused with store picks.

Is the 1792 FP we both passed on fundamentally the same bourbon but K&L and total wine picked different barrels?

If so is there typically any taste real difference in the different store picks or is it more of a marketing ploy for each store to say they have something unique but the bottle content is all but identical.

Over the last year I must have tasted five different store picks of the Weller FP and the generic version and I for one couldn't tell any difference between any of them ... but as is often the case,  that could be a me issue. :)

It may be tougher to pick up different flavor characteristics when comparing two higher proof bourbons.

But yesterday I had a SBS of regular Elijah Craig Small Batch with an EC SmB K&L store pick, courtesy of @fosmith.  The K&L pick had a noticeably better nose with tons of vanilla, whereas the regular bottling’s nose was heavy on the ethanol.  On the palate, the K&L pick was smoother and creamier, though the regular SmB was fine and tasted much better than it smelled.  

• I like it 1

In general, private picks tend to be at least a little better than standard bottlings. I have yet to get a regular Weller FP, but I've really liked the two private picks I've had. 

Biba! Joe

8 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

In general, private picks tend to be at least a little better than standard bottlings. I have yet to get a regular Weller FP, but I've really liked the two private picks I've had. 

Biba! Joe

I have had 3 diff single barrel FP - and they were all better than the blended WFP.

There is a bar in Central Ohio that's  barrel was a honey barrel for me!

• I like it 1

With all the WFP I've drank at home or out in the last year I've never been in a circumstance where I've had two different bottles side by side ... and I guess my palette isn't developed enough to be able to tell small difference between store pics from memory.  In any of its iterations it's still in my Mt Rushmore of favorite whiskeys ever.

• I like it 1

Anyhoot, I didn't mean to derail the thread, I was just curious if the two 1792 offerings that were passed on were different versions of the same release. 

I appreciate the clarification.  ?

Edited by soulsea

I have never seen a Weller FP proof or even heard they had hit Indy.  

I passed on a Redwood Empire Haystack Needle Single Barrel 12 Year.  It is MGP and available for only $119.99.  Nope, not gonna do it.

I was at a store recently that had OF1920 ($39.99), Pikesville ($26.99) , and OGD 114 ($22.99).  I ended up with OGD100 for $19.99 at another store.  I would have picked up a couple of OF1920 but they had been cleaned out.  They had a large display so they must have had several cases.  The sale is still going on so I might pick up some Pikesville.  I have noticed several stores in Indy with Pikesville in the $26.99 to $29.99 range recently.

5 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I have never seen a Weller FP proof or even heard they had hit Indy.  

I passed on a Redwood Empire Haystack Needle Single Barrel 12 Year.  It is MGP and available for only $119.99.  Nope, not gonna do it.

I was at a store recently that had OF1920 ($39.99), Pikesville ($26.99) , and OGD 114 ($22.99).  I ended up with OGD100 for $19.99 at another store.  I would have picked up a couple of OF1920 but they had been cleaned out.  They had a large display so they must have had several cases.  The sale is still going on so I might pick up some Pikesville.  I have noticed several stores in Indy with Pikesville in the $26.99 to $29.99 range recently.

I would buy the #&$@ out of that Pikesville...?

• I like it 4

So this was something you don’t see everyday. Pretty cool story from the store owner as well. The shop was owned by his dad about 60yrs ago. The son now has run it for 15ish years. Back when his dad owned it they would purchase a barrel and have it bottled for the shop. He is offering 5 bottles from his dads cellar bottles in 1961. Since I’m not a collector and more of the consumer, I passed. But still thought this is just something you don’t see everyday. 

662A538D-C8A2-4C83-8146-573F5E010CA6.jpeg

• I like it 3

23 hours ago, flahute said:

It was not age stated but because I was on the pick I knew the age and it was less than 5yrs. That's normally too young for me but the OF stuff that ages in the heat cycled warehouses tends to be an exception. Despite the young age this ended up being one of the best bourbons I tasted all year long. Seriously.

That's all that matters in the end.

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

I would buy the #&$@ out of that Pikesville...?

And the 1920!! What the hell kind of place has these prices?!?

• I like it 2

Just now, Kepler said:

That's all that matters in the end.

Yeah. Hard to take the chance if you don't know how good it is. My rationale as related to you is that the barrel program for this one is young so I suspect there's a lot of great barrels available. It hasn't been picked over yet.

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Yeah. Hard to take the chance if you don't know how good it is. My rationale as related to you is that the barrel program for this one is young so I suspect there's a lot of great barrels available. It hasn't been picked over yet.

Good point!

20 hours ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

So this was something you don’t see everyday. Pretty cool story from the store owner as well. The shop was owned by his dad about 60yrs ago. The son now has run it for 15ish years. Back when his dad owned it they would purchase a barrel and have it bottled for the shop. He is offering 5 bottles from his dads cellar bottles in 1961. Since I’m not a collector and more of the consumer, I passed. But still thought this is just something you don’t see everyday. 

662A538D-C8A2-4C83-8146-573F5E010CA6.jpeg

So I did some research on brown Forman. They made old Forrester and some decent stuff back then. Any idea what the juice of this bottle may be? 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.