What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 12/14/2020 at 8:14 AM, Marekv8 said:

With all of this Indy talk, any recommendations for a LS with obscure Scotch and rum selections? I’ll be in town Friday night and the only shop on my list currently is Carmel’s Vine & Table. Many thanks. 

@Nm0369 has pointed you in the right direction.  The only caveat is what time you will be shopping.  I believe V&T closes at 7 p.m.   Besides V&T and Classic Spirits, 21st Amendment Liquors on 146 Street sometimes has some different and higher end stuff.  There is also a Crown Liquors on Main Street in Carmel.

I guess one question is what side of town will you be on?

9 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

@Nm0369 has pointed you in the right direction.  The only caveat is what time you will be shopping.  I believe V&T closes at 7 p.m.   Besides V&T and Classic Spirits, 21st Amendment Liquors on 146 Street sometimes has some different and higher end stuff.  There is also a Crown Liquors on Main Street in Carmel.

I guess one question is what side of town will you be on?

Thanks for the heads up on Vine & Table’s hours— that may become an issue. I’ve identified two heavy bottles there that alone will more than suffice, so if I make it in time that’ll be my only stop. I’ll call them in advance to make sure they are truly in stock. 

• I like it 1

Found a couple of the 2020 Angels Envy Cask Strength bottles at the $200 msrp. I bought Evan Williams BiB instead.

• I like it 6

11 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Thanks for the heads up on Vine & Table’s hours— that may become an issue. I’ve identified two heavy bottles there that alone will more than suffice, so if I make it in time that’ll be my only stop. I’ll call them in advance to make sure they are truly in stock. 

Yep, if I time for only one stop, that would be the one.  Good Luck!  Let us know what you find!

On 12/13/2020 at 9:14 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Most of the stores I frequent - liquor, grocery, it doesn't matter - have come to know me as "cheap bastard."  It is self-described as I have told them that is who I am. I went back to a local liquor store yesterday to pick up another MM101 on sale at 15% off.  I was thinking it was a two day sale this weekend and next.  When it didn't ring up at the sale price, the young lady behind the counter told me that their sale was one day each weekend, Friday12/11 and Saturday 12/19.  I told her "Thanks, I will see you next weekend."  The people behind the counter laughed and said see you next weekend.  Everything worked out as I stopped at Hobby Lobby to pick up 4 large picture frames for Christmas gifts and they were 50% off.  The sale ended on 12/12 which was the day I stopped in.  Cheap Bastard wins again.

Which store has 15% off Saturday?  I could put that to use on a bottle of scotch if the starting price isn’t sky high (looking at you Payless).

1 hour ago, Nm0369 said:

Which store has 15% off Saturday?  I could put that to use on a bottle of scotch if the starting price isn’t sky high (looking at you Payless).

Select Crown Liquor stores...Avon, Carmel and a few others.  I believe 7 stores.  I shop both Avon and Carmel.

Avon huh. Do folks still tell the old story about the haunted Avon bridge? ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

35 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Blanton’s.  

Me too. Luckily there were a couple people in the aisle with me. I asked them if either was looking for a bourbon gift and pointed it out to them in the case and a middle aged lady bought it for her father. 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Avon huh. Do folks still tell the old story about the haunted Avon bridge? ?

Biba! Joe

Oh yeah!  Indiana Urban Legends never die.  House of Blue lights?

Edited by mbroo5880i

I have a feeling that tonight’s Vine & Table experience will become a “Remember when that guy...” internal conversations for employees for years to come.

• I like it 4

12 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

I have a feeling that tonight’s Vine & Table experience will become a “Remember when that guy...” internal conversations for employees for years to come.

C'mon man, share!

52 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

40 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

C'mon man, share!

Yes, let’s hear it. Please don’t keep us in suspense. ?

Biba! Joe

On 12/4/2020 at 11:02 PM, Kepler said:

Today I again passed on Still Austin bourbon (the "musician" bottle). I keep getting more and more tempted by this, even though I need another new bourbon like I need a hole in my head.  This usually indicates  I will cave soon, usually within 30 days if history repeats...

Passed on this for the third and fourth time today (visited 2 stores today).  I may have gotten over the hump on this one. This may even be a sign of bourbon zen really taking root. Time will tell.

5 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Passed on this for the third and fourth time today (visited 2 stores today).  I may have gotten over the hump on this one. This may even be a sign of bourbon zen really taking root. Time will tell.

bourbon zen takes a life time to master, only with exercise will grasshopper understand

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Oh yeah!  Indiana Urban Legends never die.  House of Blue lights?

I remember that one too. So, Avon Bridge, House Of Blue Lights, and....? Wasn’t there a third one? 

47 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I remember that one too. So, Avon Bridge, House Of Blue Lights, and....? Wasn’t there a third one? 

Would it be Stepp Cemetery in Morgan-Monroe State Forrest?

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I also recall the Stepp Cemetery.  Isn't that the one where you step up 100 steps or something and then you have to count the same number of steps on the way down?  If not, a spirit will knock you down.

I am not an expert on Indiana urban legends but I also recall stories about spirits, and weird things and noises in the Hanna House, the Murat Temple, and old Central State Hospital in Indianapolis.  

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

I'll see if I can find the title.  Several years ago, I read a book that had collected the most famous stories.  I've visited Stepp Cemetery several times in the past, but saw no ghosts.  It was one of those things.  Will you go, unless you are chicken.

4 hours ago, yobber76 said:

Passed on Rock Hill Farms for $400. Bit the bullet and paid $60 for ER 10yr though. That hurt.

Ouch!  That would hurt.  ER10 is pretty much always available here in SF Bay Area for under $30.  One of the few advantages (bourbon wise) that we have over the rest of the country.  Weller has become unobtanium over the last few years...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.