What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 hours ago, webfoots said:

I really, really enjoyed it. 

At $139. There’s no way it’s worth much more than $150 depending on local taxes. Over $200 is just silly.

I agree - I had a bar pour and really liked it, although I like all of the OF to varying degrees.   I hope to get one soon at or around list.   Anyone know if they have had out at the Bourbon Heritage Center?

Last time I was at my favorite liquor store, I looked into the glass case.  They had multiple bottles of Old St. Nick - prices well over a hundred plus a bottle, maybe a lot more. ? No thank you.

VOB 100 came home with me.

Got this via email from a local liquor store. These are all raffled, of which I do not qualify (nor would I if I could). Just curious what others are seeing in price on these releases:

BTAC all $119.99 -

3-btls Thomas Handy,

9- btls George T Stagg,

1-btl William Larue Weller,

1 btl Eagle Rare.

Pappy Van Winkle

4 btls - 15yr - $179.99,

3 btls -Van Winkle Rye - $179.99,

12 btls - Van Winkle 10yr - $99.99,

9 btls - Van Winkle 12yr Lot B - $119.99

2 hours ago, lemonman said:

Got this via email from a local liquor store. These are all raffled, of which I do not qualify (nor would I if I could). Just curious what others are seeing in price on these releases:

BTAC all $119.99 -

3-btls Thomas Handy,

9- btls George T Stagg,

1 btl Eagle Rare.

Pappy Van Winkle

4 btls - 15yr - $179.99,

Those seem about right for stores that actually do "retail" pricing. Those stores are few and far between. I'm getting email from stores that are 10x those prices. 

I'm also seeing a lot of comments from retailers that they got little to no WLW and no one seems to have gotten any PVW20 this year. 

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, PaulO said:

I assume a person only qualifies to enter the raffle by spending a ton of money there during a given time.

Yes, you have to accumulate points, which can be applied towards their raffles. I don't shop there enough to garner the points necessary to participate; their everyday prices are a bit steep. They do have some good sales that I take advantage of, though. I've picked up handles of Larceny for $30, and bought Glenfiddich 12 for $25 last week; it's usually $35-40 around here.

It's good to know they're not really raking their customers over the coals on these, compared to what others do. It makes me respect them and be more willing to do business with them down the road.

On 11/25/2020 at 3:23 PM, lemonman said:

BTAC all $119.99 -

3-btls Thomas Handy,

9- btls George T Stagg,

1 btl Eagle Rare.

Pappy Van Winkle

4 btls - 15yr - $179.99,

i have a few entries into this one. what sucks is you have to drive up there & wait in your car; if your picked, you come in & pick one. if youre not there, you get whatevers left when you show.

• I like it 1

Just wanted to stop by and say this is my favorite thread. I love all the posts here. When you pass, I pass. And when you pass on something really spicy, I'm out of my seat and cheering. Sometimes I wonder if I could pass on what you guys' post. But I do, because I know you guys are cheering me on as well. 

Cheers and gimme that MSRP :)

Edited by ABVT
  • I like it 2

I follow this thread but it's definitely not my favorite.  It's the landing spot for all the horror stories.  I much prefer the "What bottle did you open today" and the Empty Bottle Support thread.  Those are uplifting ?

• I like it 1

I'm with ABVT on this one.  Tapping in on the candidly given wealth of knowledge from fellow SB'ers is very much appreciated.  For my tastes, knowing what to avoid, to me, is just as important as knowing what to look for.  Both this and the "what bottle did you open today" threads are equally favorates of mine. Just my 2 cents.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, parksmart said:

Took some willpower not to get at least one......

1DA7FA78-EB0D-4450-AB04-EA26F716F89F.jpeg

I MIGHT have weakened and paid for one of these.  Our price is $99.99 OTD.  Guess we don't always have the best prices . . . .  ?

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

I MIGHT have weakened and paid for one of these.  Our price is $99.99 OTD.  Guess we don't always have the best prices . . . .  ?

That is an incredible price!   107 OTD in Ohio

On 11/29/2020 at 6:48 AM, parksmart said:

Took some willpower not to get at least one......

1DA7FA78-EB0D-4450-AB04-EA26F716F89F.jpeg

I would've bought them both...

• I like it 1

49 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

I would've bought them both...

You woulda missed the 3rd one flipped upright on the bottom right corner..... ?

As for my rationale of not getting these, I just couldn’t justify it when I have various 14 and 15 year PS bottles that were purchased for upwards of half the price of these 15 year LE bottles.  As usual with my collecting habits, I’m already way past the level of what any rational connoisseur would have stockpiled for the remainder of my lifetime.    And since I have no plans to do a personal recreation of the movie “Leaving Las Vegas” (though Elisabeth Shue can look me up any time she wants), I’m trying to be a little bit more nuanced in what I buy going forwards.  

• I like it 4

27 minutes ago, parksmart said:

As for my rationale of not getting these, I just couldn’t justify it when I have various 14 and 15 year PS bottles that were purchased for upwards of half the price of these 15 year LE bottles.  As usual with my collecting habits, I’m already way past the level of what any rational connoisseur would have stockpiled for the remainder of my lifetime.    And since I have no plans to do a personal recreation of the movie “Leaving Las Vegas” (though Elisabeth Shue can look me up any time she wants), I’m trying to be a little bit more nuanced in what I buy going forwards.  

Wait this is a site for rational connoisseurs? I may in fact be in the wrong place.

• I like it 2

3 minutes ago, Mattk said:

Wait this is a site for rational connoisseurs? I may in fact be in the wrong place.

They’re few and far between, or just lurking.

25 minutes ago, parksmart said:

So, you have more than enough in your bunker to last a lifetime. You’re trying to be more picky in what you buy. You’re trying to drink more and buy less. What are the chances other folks here might have a paddle in that same canoe? Row, row, row your boat.............?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

7 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

So, you have more than enough in your bunker to last a lifetime. You’re trying to be more picky in what you buy. You’re trying to drink more and buy less. What are the chances other folks here might have a paddle in that same canoe? Row, row, row your boat.............?

Biba! Joe

If you two cut back on buying the "what bourbon did you purchase" forum will take a sudden and noticable drop in posts

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

I know, I know.  Preaching to the choir.....

• I like it 1

On 11/14/2020 at 12:18 PM, Clueby said:

The same store just dropped a "special release sale' on VW:

ORVW $1000

Lot B $1100

VW Rye $2500

VW15 $2500

VW20 $3500

VW23 $4000

The sad thing is that they will.sell.

I'm starting to think there may be TWO born every minute...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.