What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 9/29/2020 at 4:24 PM, CardsandBourbon said:

I passed on the 101 proof Maker's Mark.  Not sure that the extra 11 proof points are worth the extra $16.  Also passed on Cask Strength MM 46 @ $62.  Final big pass was KC SiB PS at nine years old & $58.  I remember when you could get 12-15 KC PS for $45.

You must be buying at the same LS I usually pass by to see what they have...all 3 available at the same price. ?

On 9/29/2020 at 3:24 PM, CardsandBourbon said:

I passed on the 101 proof Maker's Mark.  Not sure that the extra 11 proof points are worth the extra $16.  Also passed on Cask Strength MM 46 @ $62.  Final big pass was KC SiB PS at nine years old & $58.  I remember when you could get 12-15 KC PS for $45.

Its "only" a $12 premium for the 101 here vs the standard ($22 vs $34) but I'm not sure it's worth it either. Guess I'll find out the hard way since I did buy a bottle.  There is a 9 year KC PS here for $47 that I've already bought a couple of and may go back for a third. It's right in my wheelhouse.

We got our shopping in this evening instead of going out tomorrow. I had a FRSB in my cart, but put it back. The price was only $34.95. Don’t ask me........ :blink:

Biba! Joe

Lots of stuff simply because the store didn’t carry any WT. wow

Most notably Bookers and HMK10. Stuff is stacked deep on the shelves around here.

21 hours ago, Jazz June said:

I heartily endorse the RR SiB, although MSRP is $60 here. I have found the RR 10 good but pedestrian. The RR SiB is much better. The Revival is quite good also, but as a finished bourbon I’d want to know more what you like before recommending it. I will say I’m not a big fan of finished bourbons generally but the Revival is well done. At that kind of price it’s hard to call it a good value, but I didn’t regret buying it. $160 is only a hair above MSRP and is fair at least.

Thanks for the input. That’s a good point about Revival being finished. I think angels envy is the only finished bourbon I’ve had, but I’ve had a few iterations of HWMND on the rye side, and several different pours of finished scotches.  I’ve generally enjoyed them all, particularly the High West, so I can’t imagine I’d be out-off by the fact the Revival is finished. I think I’m gonna go for it. I’m sure I can pick up a RRSiB sometime down the line again, but that might not be the case with the Revival if I wait too long. Thanks again!

Ocean City's a dry town,  so evening meals are take-out,  eaten out on the deck with bourbon from  the bar.   The bar gets stocked from the liquor store just over the bridge.  Nothing moved me today,   though,  although I came close to springing for a Noah's Mill, apparently consisting of Willet's own distillate.   Sure would be helpful if Willett were more descriptive of what's in the bottle.   

2 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Whole. Lotta nope in here. 

25B10BF3-BEB3-47BF-ADF1-B3D772D69447.jpeg

Is that Rowan’s creek locked in a case for $80?

???

4 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Whole. Lotta nope in here. 

Where's the thumbs down button?

• I like it 1

I passed on a WT Master's Keep BIB for $179.99. Apparently that's about the going rate but I've bought (maybe a bit) too much lately already.

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

I passed on a WT Master's Keep BIB for $179.99. Apparently that's about the going rate but I've bought (maybe a bit) too much lately already.

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Where's the thumbs down button?

?

• I like it 2

Tempted by a 1.75L of EC SmB in the prior packaging/label for $65.99.  Unfortunately, didn’t have any mention of 12 year on the back label.  

KC 2001 Batch 4 for $100 was also considered, as well.  

Orphan Barrel Rhetoric 24 year for $199 was an easy pass.  OF 9 year BIB for same price also got the Heisman......

5 hours ago, parksmart said:

Tempted by a 1.75L of EC SmB in the prior packaging/label for $65.99.  Unfortunately, didn’t have any mention of 12 year on the back label.

I might have sprung for that one.  Equivalent of $28.33/750.  I recall hearing that when the AS was first dropped, the blend was still around 12yo and didn't come down substantially until the new bottle was introduced.  I recall a Youtube video blind tasting of the new bottle, the old bottle NAS and the 12yr and the old bottle NAS did very well.  But, I could be mistaken on that... 

36 minutes ago, dcbt said:

Not bourbon I realize, but I had never seen a Jumbo Baby Saz before yesterday; I passed on it.

I've never seen one either, what was the asking price?

27 minutes ago, geclbxf said:

I've never seen one either, what was the asking price?

I didn't even take note, but it was at Total Wine, so I'm sure it was close to MSRP.

7 hours ago, fosmith said:

I might have sprung for that one.  Equivalent of $28.33/750.  I recall hearing that when the AS was first dropped, the blend was still around 12yo and didn't come down substantially until the new bottle was introduced.  I recall a Youtube video blind tasting of the new bottle, the old bottle NAS and the 12yr and the old bottle NAS did very well.  But, I could be mistaken on that... 

Dammit, now I gotta see if they still have it!

7 hours ago, dcbt said:

I didn't even take note, but it was at Total Wine, so I'm sure it was close to MSRP.

My daughter brought me one of those back from New Orleans a couple years ago. It was $35 to $40.

I was offered Old Forester Single Barrel Barrel Proof for $79.99 plus tax.  I'm pretty sure that's the retail price.  I'm not on the hunt for expensive bottles, even though it's probably very good.

• I like it 2

53 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I was offered Old Forester Single Barrel Barrel Proof for $79.99 plus tax.  I'm pretty sure that's the retail price.  I'm not on the hunt for expensive bottles, even though it's probably very good.

Due to my affinity for OF, I would've had a hard time turning these down, even though I don't need any more expensive bottles either.

• I like it 1

On 10/4/2020 at 5:05 PM, Clueby said:

My daughter brought me one of those back from New Orleans a couple years ago. It was $35 to $40.

I saw them at the Sazerac House in February down in NOLA.  Looks like $42 for the 1.75L.  They even have 200mL bottles too.

Honestly, the place is definitely worth a stop if you're ever down there.  Free tours and samples!

bNEKcpCGQslcGXfSo6Qcsf8CKzCSuk3SFC01YiFRUac_fWZeRMFphGpQbazoGXDPGFOB4-8rti-ED_9PpeL1H4sU-GqCHQbu1hKQKbdvYKdF7vBrHerQgkEfBlbDoBwUnlJ_co0NMCYPWtIqWffHu7sUAo85PUx-W2PBeENC4KoWa0xVpMSFfZFARMnrqAv3cnxOusChHtLN2CefNHN7kezocFYcUHFYXETh30nTqNDRdjvFY-IPIQoq0aU2Qo5g8MAGGTNG_XfVPxyLb7b5JCcFEDqOU2SYB7yJZk1Bn_qVtefPPMbCZmuEVC5MaUCWI9jREEoSC4gfpRgTDlM4pGjiQF6Hk_2XDDTNMcuCaHnOaIYNcUoqscvnBeFznyUgeFgqEvWm-QbwVWfeGJz7oOsKWUxKMTrjfebkpmJZ8DHQnvN8i2dhXMrYQ5iI-BQnDZ4fyvCYuhhDY_r7PTpyif0ex_C9lp8ibG-n7PXw2_sKDD1BBN9qg5GXinvkyyvWdJTUDSgAUXdfZLM8fEmU_CBPuHeWjfL2RewgYcd5pPp_hmdcKbV1Ks62DUeSALktXE6paDn8p3kssKTeAfrh_FPd3XAZxGkIOjPo9dJr8jXKRDMGLxeqCurmwrxN1fvDMtOuU0GB-emn3DAYp_iHzAZz6R1uUPYhbCaH3GYX-X5oqkhUrRONu6kTUfoqKkQ=w834-h625-no?authuser=0

Passed on Blanton's Gold at $105 + taxes online. The kicker was shipping would've been $30 up to four bottles and I would've been compelled to purchase three other bottles lol.

9 hours ago, 0895 said:

The new bottles of these claim to be distilled at Willett now on the label.

6195F061-6C22-47C0-8D50-A8E44BB6383C.jpeg

I was a huge fan of Rowan's Creek before Willett's own distillate came onto the scene, would be interested in doing a SBS.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.