What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Local place here had the new Kentucky Owl Rye for $350 and the Kentucky Owl Dry State bourbon for $1000. One of the employees saw me laughing and shaking my head while looking at the case they displayed in and gave me the stink eye. I just kept on laughing. Oh and there was a Lone Whisker for $175. 

On 10/16/2020 at 8:29 AM, Marekv8 said:

That's a Single Grain vs. Single Malt Scotch Whisky, so it might offer up a different experience. Typically the Single Grains don't hit their stride until their mid-twenties due to the tired casks in play, and are far less expensive than their malt counterparts at similar ages. In this particular case, the combo of the closure of Port Dundas and the Orphan Barrel marketing have really pushed the price. I guess they had to cover the cost of the multiple scarf colors.

IMG_5219.thumb.jpg.b5687a423c6f7ea9de90c3f751c126d3.jpg

Is the single grain likely wheat? 

Passed on Punchers Chance Single Barrel Barrel Strength at $39.99.  It sounds like a blend of 4, 5 and 6 year old bourbon rebarrelled and then sold as a single barrel. 

Also, passed on Chicken Cock. New bottle. New price. At $59.99, no interest. 

1 hour ago, DeepCover said:

Is the single grain likely wheat? 

Most likely, yes.

But, it could be wheat, corn, rye (all three either malted or unmalted), or unmalted barley-- all typically run through a column still. I've also got a Loch Lomond Single Grain release which is 100% malted barley which has been column vs. pot distilled.

• I like it 1

I saw two of the WR/Baccarat editions today at two different stores.   $2000 each.  Wow!

1 hour ago, markandrex said:

I saw two of the WR/Baccarat editions today at two different stores.   $2000 each.  Wow!

Im slightly curious to know how quick they sell, so keep us updated if you notice.

11 hours ago, FlounderinDC said:

Local place here had the new Kentucky Owl Rye for $350 and the Kentucky Owl Dry State bourbon for $1000. One of the employees saw me laughing and shaking my head while looking at the case they displayed in and gave me the stink eye. I just kept on laughing. Oh and there was a Lone Whisker for $175. 

You could have asked the employee if they've tried it.  How is it.  ?

13 minutes ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

At least I got to see it in person this year. The ER17 is my dream bottle of BTAC 

1755EB76-E163-4930-B3B4-9C190AE0E92A.jpeg

With that in mind, I'm sure it took some strong will to pass on that for you. 

• I like it 1

32 minutes ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

At least I got to see it in person this year. The ER17 is my dream bottle of BTAC 

1755EB76-E163-4930-B3B4-9C190AE0E92A.jpeg

Ugh.  I’d like that one.. at retail...ish 

• I like it 2

5 minutes ago, JT3NSB said:

Ugh.  I’d like that one.. at retail...ish 

Actually one of my dream bottles too - tried a pour  at a restaurant and loved it.  (2019)  But not at that price.

• I like it 2

Passed on a wsr at 40 bucks. If i was dying for one i may consider it but i have a bottle in the closet unopened and a wa107 opened at the moment. 

Her’s a story that I’m pretty sure I posted about before. :mellow:

About ten years or so ago, I was in Bardstown for the KBF.  Back then, JT, the then owner of Liquor World, used to have different master distillers signing bottles at his store during each day of the festival. One day, Harlan Wheatley was there. A few of us went to Liquor World. I got a bottle signed, and since it wasn’t too busy, chatted with Mr. Wheatley a bit. Our chat came around to the BTAC. I gave him my take on the ER. I told him that it was good, and I liked it, but that I thought it was the weak sister of the collection. He asked me why I thought that. I told him I thought it was because of it being only 90 proof. His reply, and I quote, “So you don’t think people like a 17 year old bourbon?”  I told him folks probably like it, as do I, but most folks would probably like it a lot more if it went back to 101 proof, regardless of a 10 or 17 year age. About that time more people came to the table to get their bottles signed. I thanked him for his time, he thanked me for my input, then we shook hands and I went to check out a few things on the shelves. In all honesty, I can’t help but think that my comment about the proof on the ER17 stuck in the back of his head, and that maybe in some small way I am partly responsible (or to blame) for  the increase to 101 proof.  

FWIW, he reminds me of one of the supervisors at my work. Good guy, but...  :mellow: I came up with an idea at work one time to help when scanning parts when stocking and picking orders. After scanning the parts and bin tags, you had to manually hit continue, then enter on the computer screen keyboard on our stock pickers. The  IT guy in the office printed out and laminated  a small “ENTER” barcode for me. I used it to scan enter twice, rather than having to hit the enter and continue buttons. A little thing, but it was much easier, and saved a little time. The supervisor saw it on my picker one day and asked me what it was. I told him. He said “That’s pretty cool. Nice idea.” A week later, the laminated ENTER barcodes were handed out to everyone and we were told to put them on all of our stock/order pickers. The supervisor announced this in one of our daily start of shift meetings. When he announced it, he took credit for the whole idea, and even went so far as to say he went to the big boss to get it approved, and was given an “Atta Boy” for the idea. Go figure. Here, hold this for me. ?

Biba! Joe 

• I like it 6

57 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

One day, Harlan Wheatley was there. A few of us went to Liquor World. I got a bottle signed, and since it wasn’t too busy, chatted with Mr. Wheatley a bit. Our chat came around to the BTAC. I gave him my take on the ER. I told him that it was good, and I liked it, but that I thought it was the weak sister of the collection. He asked me why I thought that. I told him I thought it was because of it being only 90 proof. His reply, and I quote, “So you don’t think people like a 17 year old bourbon?”  I told him folks probably like it, as do I, but most folks would probably like it a lot more if it went back to 101 proof, regardless of a 10 or 17 year age. About that time more people came to the table to get their bottles signed. I thanked him for his time, he thanked me for my input, then we shook hands and I went to check out a few things on the shelves. In all honesty, I can’t help but think that my comment about the proof on the ER17 stuck in the back of his head, and that maybe in some small way I am partly responsible (or to blame) for  the increase to 101 proof.   

I told Bruce Russell the same thing about bringing back the WT 12 / 101.  I'm still waiting.  If and when it ever comes back, then you can thank ME!  ?

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I told Bruce Russell the same thing about bringing back the WT 12 / 101.  I'm still waiting.  If and when it ever comes back, then you can thank ME!  ?

Gladly. ? 

I know beggars can’t be choosers, but If it’s not too much to ask, could you possibly do a twofer and include the WT 8/101?  ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

6 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Gladly. ? 

I know beggars can’t be choosers, but If it’s not too much to ask, could you possibly do a twofer and include the WT 8/101?  ?

Biba! Joe

Sure, since I have him on speed dial of course. ?

For extra effect, I'll just tell him it's a special request from my bud Joe!

• I like it 1

After B-F discontinues the Early Times 354 Bourbon (80 proof) - I suggested to their customer service they should introduce a bonded version.  I'm still waiting for my portion of the sale to Sazerac.

I also suggested to Kroger, do some single barrel selections of brands they already sell.  They need to put those cute little tags on the bottle with barrel #.  As it is, they're leaving money on the table, not doing this.  They sell big volume of common stuff; should be getting v.i.p. treatment from their suppliers, if they knew what to ask.

On 10/20/2020 at 8:41 AM, FlounderinDC said:

I too would likely have been unable avoid snickering at that, but the unfortunate thing for the store is that’s actually the Dry State’s MSRP from what I’ve seen. Madness!

I passed on WA107 for $55 and EHTSmB for $49 this week, on offer from my local before they went out to the shelves. Ordinarily I would have probably said yes to both, but I’m hoarding my bourbon budget for the rest of the year in hopes of landing some LEs. I’m sure I’ll still buy some daily drinkers here and there, but keep it in the $30 or under range.

2 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

I passed on WA107 for $55 and EHTSmB for $49 this week, on offer from my local before they went out to the shelves. Ordinarily I would have probably said yes to both, but I’m hoarding my bourbon budget for the rest of the year in hopes of landing some LEs. I’m sure I’ll still buy some daily drinkers here and there, but keep it in the $30 or under range.

That is unfortunately pretty much +/- $5 of retail on the OWA anymore. Maybe slightly higher for the CEHT.

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, Clueby said:

That is unfortunately pretty much +/- $5 of retail on the OWA anymore. Maybe slightly higher for the CEHT.

Yeah, I’ve bought one, maybe two, OWAs at that price this past year. Sign o’ the times... strangely, the W12 has typically been around $5 cheaper here in MT, which is okay by me!

I rarely see ECBP on the shelf in Indy.  I saw three ECBP B520 on the shelf at a liquor store that I visit a few times a year.  I passed at $69.99.  I hope to find it a little cheaper.  Of course, if you don't see it often and pass, you take your chances that it will disappear.

3 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Yeah, I’ve bought one, maybe two, OWAs at that price this past year. Sign o’ the times... strangely, the W12 has typically been around $5 cheaper here in MT, which is okay by me!

I haven't even had the opportunity to pass (or possibly buy) OWA or W12 in this year at all.

I somehow managed to pass on the Kentucky Owl Dry State stuff as well. Is anyone going to buy this stuff? Seems insane to me. The last batch (9?) of KO bourbon still is a shelf turf around here, as well as KO rye batches 2/3. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.