What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I got an email from a place I order online (at good prices) from fairly regularly that Stagg Jr. was back in stock and ready to order.  I followed the link....$140!!

I passed on the new O.K.I TPS PS. Seems like it was 71$ with tax for a 5 year MGP. Seems pretty steep so I didn't jump. Also passed on Old Overholt 11 year. 75$ for 11 year 92 proof was a skip from me. A year ago I would have gotten them both,  but times sure have changed. 

Edited by ABVT

15 hours ago, shuttlenote said:

Passed on Blanton's Gold at $105 + taxes online. The kicker was shipping would've been $30 up to four bottles and I would've been compelled to purchase three other bottles lol.

If i was wanting 4 bottles i would for sure be interested. 

11 hours ago, Clueby said:

I got an email from a place I order online (at good prices) from fairly regularly that Stagg Jr. was back in stock and ready to order.  I followed the link....$140!!

I bet 20 minutes later they were sold out.

1 minute ago, Sgtspitter101 said:

I bet 20 minutes later they were sold out.

Nope. Still available. Maybe people are coming to their senses. #wishfulthinking

6 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Nope. Still available. Maybe people are coming to their senses. #wishfulthinking

I hope they are. Im tired of finding blantons over 150, the weller line starting at 200 and ecbp/ectb for 90+.

I saw bottles of Chicken Cock bourbon and rye for the first time this weekend.    For fifty bucks,  a not too regretful pass.    

I went to a grocery store today which is not my regular one specifically because they have the best dinner rolls. Popped into the liquor store next door, also not a regularly visited store, to grab an oktoberfest beer. While there I happened to peruse the whiskey section. There on the shelf was a rock hill farms. I thought about grabbing it for a close buddy of mine who loves the stuff. Until I saw the pricetag. $400, no joke. 

2 hours ago, Mattk said:

I went to a grocery store today which is not my regular one specifically because they have the best dinner rolls. Popped into the liquor store next door, also not a regularly visited store, to grab an oktoberfest beer. While there I happened to peruse the whiskey section. There on the shelf was a rock hill farms. I thought about grabbing it for a close buddy of mine who loves the stuff. Until I saw the pricetag. $400, no joke. 

Somehow with record unemployment its getting worse not better!

• I like it 2

I too took the pass on Stagg Jr #14. Not because of the price but because I've got more than...a lot..with probably 6-8 different batches. Since my little health care issue last summer my consumption is down considerably (from extremely abusive to just overindulgence) but the buying continues at pace that would indicate they'll run out anyday now. I guess I'll have to have a bunker busting party soon? ;):ph34r::blink:

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, FacePlant said:

I too took the pass on Stagg Jr #14. Not because of the price but because I've got more than...a lot..with probably 6-8 different batches. Since my little health care issue last summer my consumption is down considerably (from extremely abusive to just overindulgence) but the buying continues at pace that would indicate they'll run out anyday now. I guess I'll have to have a bunker busting party soon? ;):ph34r::blink:

Always ready to help out a pal on short notice . . . . . . .   ?

Passed on a couple of "slam dunk" wax-dipped MMCS bottles I saw on the shelf at 2 different stores. Decent prices too. But I'm not into gimmicks.  I have a few backup MMCS bottles and I don't need more unless something is actually special inside the bottle.

I assume they are now strategically planting these "special bottles" on purpose now.  Curiously, in both stores I saw these, the "slam dunk" bottles were placed at the very front spot on the shelf, and the regular bottles were stacked behind them.  Someone seems to know what they are doing in order to attract attention...

5 hours ago, Kepler said:

Passed on a couple of "slam dunk" wax-dipped MMCS bottles I saw on the shelf at 2 different stores. Decent prices too. But I'm not into gimmicks.  I have a few backup MMCS bottles and I don't need more unless something is actually special inside the bottle.

I assume they are now strategically planting these "special bottles" on purpose now.  Curiously, in both stores I saw these, the "slam dunk" bottles were placed at the very front spot on the shelf, and the regular bottles were stacked behind them.  Someone seems to know what they are doing in order to attract attention...

What is special about slam dunk bottle?  Sorry If this was already covered - couldn't find the reference.

16 minutes ago, geclbxf said:

What is special about slam dunk bottle?  Sorry If this was already covered - couldn't find the reference.

The red wax goes much further down on the bottle than a standard bottle.  Sometimes covers the entire neck of the bottle. 

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Kepler said:

A local shop put a photo of one on their social media a few weeks ago. Some asshat responded with, "the ones with the deep wax dip are worth more money!" The store responded to him with. "You better get down here and buy it, then!" 

It's my favorite store, and I don't blame them for playing the game. But who in their right mind thinks an additional 3 inches of wax makes something collectible? 

1 minute ago, JCwhammie said:

A local shop put a photo of one on their social media a few weeks ago. Some asshat responded with, "the ones with the deep wax dip are worth more money!" The store responded to him with. "You better get down here and buy it, then!" 

It's my favorite store, and I don't blame them for playing the game. But who in their right mind thinks an additional 3 inches of wax makes something collectible? 

Lots of barrel pick groups?

11 hours ago, Kepler said:

5 hours ago, River Hills said:

The red wax goes much further down on the bottle than a standard bottle.  Sometimes covers the entire neck of the bottle. 

4 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

4 hours ago, Jazz June said:

Lots of barrel pick groups?

FWIW, I've posted about this before. Anyway, I was on a tour at MM two or three years ago. During question and answer time at the end of the tour, I asked if they were still doing slam dunk bottles because I hadn't seen one in a while. The answer, and I quote: "We discontinued the slam dunk bottles a while back." So, I'm guessing that MM reversed course on that decision. For more on this, check out my post in the paraphernalia thread

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

FWIW, I've posted about this before. Anyway, I was on a tour at MM two or three years ago. During question and answer time at the end of the tour, I asked if they were still doing slam dunk bottles because I hadn't seen one in a while. The answer, and I quote: "We discontinued the slam dunk bottles a while back." So, I'm guessing that MM reversed course on that decision. For more on this, check out my post in the paraphernalia thread

Biba! Joe

Just speculation on my part,  but I believe the slam dunks we are seeing now are designed to draw attention to the new packaging for MMCS and perhaps create more interest in the product.

I have not noticed any slam dunks on any other bottles of MM product besides the new cask strength bottle.

I will say that one thing I've noticed is fairly rapid turnover to the new packaging on store shelves, so either there are quite a few fans of the product at the new lower price point.  It seemed as though the older bottles sat around collecting dust hard at $60ish.

• I like it 2

The LS owner tried every angle to get me to bite on this $999.99 NAS blended bottled-in-box.

Everything screams “the perfect gift for the bourbon lover in your life who will never open the bottle." 

IMG_5250.thumb.jpg.1a469e704b18628de24a1e594ce0d213.jpg

7 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

The LS owner tried every angle to get me to bite on this $999.99 NAS blended bottled-in-box.

Everything screams “the perfect gift for the bourbon lover in your life who will never open the bottle." 

Marek knowing your collection I'm actually impressed you didn't' bite lol jk.  Unreal what people will try to pull with NAS.  Insulting really.

8 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

You could have asked if he had an open bottle to sample.

Passed on the MM101 today.  First I’ve seen it here.  Since the Cask Strength is now going for $39.99 here, and I already had the CR Noble Collection 16 yr rye in my cart, I decided to wait on it for another day.  But, another day will come soon enough.  ?

6 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Passed on the MM101 today.  First I’ve seen it here.  Since the Cask Strength is now going for $39.99 here, and I already had the CR Noble Collection 16 yr rye in my cart, I decided to wait on it for another day.  But, another day will come soon enough.  ?

There's a ton of MM101 here in NC. The NC ABC warehouse inventory site has shown them receiving shipments of it nearly every week since at least early September.
Like you, I passed on it in favor of the MMCS, which was listed at $40 for the month of September. Sadly, the quarterly price list for Nov-Jan just came out a day ago & shows MMCS back up to it's old price of $50.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.