What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I passed on the new special Barrell Bourbon release @ $250. Their regular releases at $80-ish are too hit or miss for me. No way I'm buying anything from them at $250.

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, BoilerinIL said:

I passed on the new special Barrell Bourbon release @ $250. Their regular releases at $80-ish are too hit or miss for me. No way I'm buying anything from them at $250.

Unless I'm trying it before I buy - and even then, it may be a hard sale.  Still have a couple of unopened Batch #6 bourbons in the bunker (can you tell I'm doing inventory?) to hold me over any rough patches of desire.   ?

On 9/29/2020 at 8:12 PM, GeeTen said:

Tried the ETL 100th Tribute?  Might change your mind, if only a little.  NOT, it's really good IMHO.  Loads of chocolate and caramel!  ?

Just saw a bottle on the shelf here in DC....... $999.00. Insanity. ETL was my daily about 10 years ago....had I only known what was to come. 

Passed on a Handy while traveling a few days ago. My conversation with the clerk:

me: how much is that Handy back there?

clerk: 750

me: seven dollars fifty cents?

clerk: no, seven hundred fifty dollars. if it was seven dollars fifty cents, it wouldnt be back there anymore.

me: well, because its seven hundred fifty dollars is why its STILL back there.

exit front door.

Also passed on a WT Decades at 183 a bit down the road.

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Passed on a Handy while traveling a few days ago. My conversation with the clerk:

me: how much is that Handy back there?

clerk: no, seven hundred fifty dollars. if it was seven dollars fifty cents, it wouldnt be back there anymore.

me: well, because its seven hundred fifty dollars is why its STILL back there.

exit front door.

Also passed on a WT Decades at 183 a bit down the road.

Now that was Great!   and why it will still be there if you ever go back some time from now.

3 hours ago, geclbxf said:

Now that was Great!   and why it will still be there if you ever go back some time from now.

Nah, they'll probably move it to a better location with direct sunlight so it doesn't go bad...

2 hours ago, jnewberg said:

Passed on a Calumet 14yr at $119, and a WP store pick that is said to be "17.5yrs" at $104.

Whistle Pig that is legitimately at 17.5 yrs would be pretty good for $104.

• I like it 3

52 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Whistle Pig that is legitimately at 17.5 yrs would be pretty good for $104.

Bottled as a 10 year but when they called to see the specs of the barrel, that is the age they were told.

2 hours ago, jnewberg said:

Bottled as a 10 year but when they called to see the specs of the barrel, that is the age they were told.

Hmm, is there a serial number on the bottle?  You may be able to get in touch with Whistle Pig directly.

Drive thru only place due to COVID and an elderly owner, normally on the high side but he raised the bar today.  OF 150 for $400.  

1 hour ago, PhantomLamb said:

Hmm, is there a serial number on the bottle?  You may be able to get in touch with Whistle Pig directly.

Whistle pig's transparency on store picks went it the window about this time last year, now it's like pulling teeth to get any info from them. But they do have a variety of boiler plate form letters they email.

Latest Orphan Barrel was in stock at the store today, it was a 24 yo Scotch. Was tempted, but a bit pricey, and I drink a lot more Bourbon these days than Scotch.20201015_141424.thumb.jpg.6b6b2dee5a9780b0ab9bc5fae2d8a19f.jpg

14 hours ago, Mano said:

Latest Orphan Barrel was in stock at the store today, it was a 24 yo Scotch. Was tempted, but a bit pricey, and I drink a lot more Bourbon these days than Scotch.20201015_141424.thumb.jpg.6b6b2dee5a9780b0ab9bc5fae2d8a19f.jpg

That's a Single Grain vs. Single Malt Scotch Whisky, so it might offer up a different experience. Typically the Single Grains don't hit their stride until their mid-twenties due to the tired casks in play, and are far less expensive than their malt counterparts at similar ages. In this particular case, the combo of the closure of Port Dundas and the Orphan Barrel marketing have really pushed the price. I guess they had to cover the cost of the multiple scarf colors.

IMG_5219.thumb.jpg.b5687a423c6f7ea9de90c3f751c126d3.jpg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

That's a Single Grain vs. Single Malt Scotch Whisky, so it might offer up a different experience. Typically the Single Grains don't hit their stride until their mid-twenties due to the tired casks in play, and are far less expensive than their malt counterparts at similar ages. In this particular case, the combo of the closure of Port Dundas and the Orphan Barrel marketing have really pushed the price. I guess they had to cover the cost of the multiple scarf colors.

IMG_5219.thumb.jpg.b5687a423c6f7ea9de90c3f751c126d3.jpg

Having cracked 'er open there, what are your thoughts? Would you recommend a purchase for those who enjoy mature scotch?

3 hours ago, Rhettro said:

Having cracked 'er open there, what are your thoughts? Would you recommend a purchase for those who enjoy mature scotch?

At the $189.99 price point, it's up against some serious competition. What do you typically go for in the realm of mature Scotch?

IMG_5171.thumb.jpg.d4417bbee0353cb3f4ee71e8d6dbb370.jpg

Passed on OF SiB BP at $100. I tried it during the pick and didn't think it was for me at that kind of price. Others that have more of an affection for OF might disagree?  

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

At the $189.99 price point, it's up against some serious competition. What do you typically go for in the realm of mature Scotch?

IMG_5171.thumb.jpg.d4417bbee0353cb3f4ee71e8d6dbb370.jpg

That's a better price than I've seen it for in the PA "coming soon" section. We're around $225 or so I believe. 

I tend to reach more for the Highlands and Speyside stuff like Glenmorangie, Glendronach and Glenfarclas. Though I also enjoy the peatier drams like Lagavulin and Laphroaig from time to time. 

Passed on a store pick Whistle Pig 10 101.6 proof. It is $91.99. Given the store, it is probably worth it. There are just other things I prefer.

I also passed on Pikesville Rye for 29.59 and OF 1920 for $43.99.

3 hours ago, Rhettro said:

That's a better price than I've seen it for in the PA "coming soon" section. We're around $225 or so I believe. 

I tend to reach more for the Highlands and Speyside stuff like Glenmorangie, Glendronach and Glenfarclas. Though I also enjoy the peatier drams like Lagavulin and Laphroaig from time to time. 

Have you ever tried Longmorn 16?

56 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Have you ever tried Longmorn 16?

I have not, no. But doing even a little looking around online indicates it's well regarded, and certainly in my wheelhouse. Thanks for the reco.

Once you've formed an opinion on it, let me know your thoughts on the Muckety Muck btw. 

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Passed on a store pick Whistle Pig 10 101.6 proof. It is $91.99. Given the store, it is probably worth it. There are just other things I prefer.

I also passed on Pikesville Rye for 29.59 and OF 1920 for $43.99.

At that price, I’d back the truck up for a full load of Pikesville.

• I like it 6

My brother is currently in Chania, Crete & sent me this picture from a local store...? All prices are in Euros ? 

Stagg €850 or $1,000

Handy Sazerac €990 or $1,150

WLW €1,150 or $1,350

PVW23 €2,950 or $3,450

PVW15 €1,800 or $2,100

ORVW can’t tell but prolly too expensive 

5A1128FA-0845-46DA-8CF6-820BA066483F.jpeg

• I like it 1

I saw a Remus barrel proof single barrel @ $42 or so.  It's distilled in Lawreceburg Indiana, no age statement, my guess 4 years and a day.  Color is light.  The prohibition era story on the label is a little too cute for me. ?

WTRB is about $5 cheaper too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.