What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Winter 2020)

Wedelstaedt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Weird, odd week at work so far, and it will probably be more of the same tomorrow. 😬🤯💩 I’m having a couple pours of a real goodun’ as a nightcap this evening. Joe’s 2018 Weller Blend, Gary’s Batch  is in the glass the evening. Not for long though. ^_^

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

Really digging on this newly purchased Knob Creek 9 yr.  

3 things I love about it:

A-  the new dimpled bottle and labeling is really nice.

2-  great to see this back to a 9 year age stated.

D-  this whiskey is as good as it ever has been...and for under $30 is almost beyond believable.  

2F026660-2BDE-4421-B791-C38004FB7FAC.jpeg

• I like it 7

On 2/26/2021 at 4:39 PM, smokinjoe said:

Personally speaking, though it is younger, lower proof, and in the price ballpark of Elijah Craig, I enjoy its profile more, and reach for it over the EC.

BCD58DE0-F479-4FE1-BAAE-8837DC50FD06.jpeg

Are we sure current EWSB is younger than current EC Small Batch?  I don't think so based on my tasting alone.  Current EC tastes young to me.

But overall I agree with you that I also prefer the general profile of EWSiB over current EC.  I wouldn't have said that just a few short years ago with the 12 yr EC (or probably even the first couple of years of the EC NAS), but certainly the current bottlings of EC is no better than EWSiB and like you, I'd rather drink the EWSiB.

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

D-  this whiskey is as good as it ever has been...and for under $30 is almost beyond believable.  

Joe, you lost me with your numbering system, but I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said about KC!  Since WT101 has only recently (finally) received its just due within our bourbon geek universe, I think regular ole KC9 might just be the most under appreciated bourbon out there!

• I like it 1

Finally found a Buffalo Trace today, so out front with a pour with a small cube, and an Oliva Noir.  Turned out to be a beautiful afternoon for some porch sittin’!  

1CA5CB0E-DD6E-4C3F-AB57-4F04700029F7.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 4

I mistakenly did not wear winter shoes and wool socks when I went to watch my nephew play soccer tonight, so my first pour of the night is one to warm me up. That'll do it. 

C919 is average for ECBP, but it's still a fantastic bourbon. 

20210306_211858.jpg

• I like it 2

21 hours ago, Kepler said:

Are we sure current EWSB is younger than current EC Small Batch?  I don't think so based on my tasting alone. 

I'm thinking EWSB 8 year and EC small batch younger, 6 year or so.  I agree with you, my tasting suggests standard EC much younger.  When EC 1st transitioned away from 12 it went to 8, but doesn't seem like it now.

On 3/5/2021 at 11:19 PM, smokinjoe said:

You speak the truth!   A local had it for $19.97 a 750 a couple months ago. I bought six for myself and gave away six to worthy friends.  

5 hours ago, Grain Belt said:

You speak the truth!   A local had it for $19.97 a 750 a couple months ago. I bought six for myself and gave away six to worthy friends.  

$19.97??  That’s nuts!

Diving in to a new WestClay W&S selection of a Spirits of French Lick Distillery Mattie Gladden Bourbon.  4 years, interesting 55C/35R/10B mash bill, nice proof, etc., specs had me interested.  It is well done, and I am enjoying it.  Not as agreeable to my palate as New Riff, but I think it’s the pot still influence, which gives off unnecessarily youngish and flinty notes.  I’m going to need to get better acclimated to this style.  It does have a nice richness and depth of flavor that indicates to me that there is “more” there than in other crafts.  Solid effort.  

1B556BA8-8A94-448C-8F1A-C0FABF13EFAA.jpeg

• I like it 1

I'm starting to see some of their products on shelves, haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I believe French Lick qualifies as Kentuckiana.

The West Baden Hotel there is amazing.

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

I believe French Lick qualifies as Kentuckiana.

As a former Cincinnatian I can confirm this.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, flahute said:

As a former Cincinnatian I can confirm this.

So, you like "three ways"  (Cincinnati, not LA) ????  😉

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

So, you like "three ways"  (Cincinnati, not LA) ????  😉

Yes sir I do.

• I like it 1

40 minutes ago, flahute said:

Yes sir I do.

Me tooo!  😂

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 1

16 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Diving in to a new WestClay W&S selection of a Spirits of French Lick Distillery Mattie Gladden Bourbon.  4 years, interesting 55C/35R/10B mash bill, nice proof, etc., specs had me interested.  It is well done, and I am enjoying it.  Not as agreeable to my palate as New Riff, but I think it’s the pot still influence, which gives off unnecessarily youngish and flinty notes.  I’m going to need to get better acclimated to this style.  It does have a nice richness and depth of flavor that indicates to me that there is “more” there than in other crafts.  Solid effort.  

1B556BA8-8A94-448C-8F1A-C0FABF13EFAA.jpeg

The name and label look like something that someone would come up with as a hyperbole joke about the state of craft bourbon.  Better your dollars than mine mi amigo. 

• I like it 2

Enjoying a pour (or two...) of RRSiB. Just good Bourbon from the House of Russell. 

Cheers

• I like it 1

Yes, I did end up climbing the Weller ladder last night. 😁

Weller SR

Weller CYPB

Joe’s 2021 Weller Blend

Joe’s 2018 Weller Blend Gary’s Batch

A ps Weller FP

and the top rung, 2017 WLW

It’s been a while since I’ve climbed the ladder. I had fairly small pours so I didn’t over do things. It was fun and tasty.🥳😋

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.430ad7e73c455bdcbdbab04a523ae229.jpeg

• I like it 1

THis was my Friday night lineup.  3 1 oz pours of each followed by an A - B comparison of ECBP and ECSB with the missus.  Needless to say, I was deep into my cups by the end of the evening.  A Friday evening spent by the fire, no shoes radio playing, a beagle puppy at your feet, and your soulmate  of 46 years  defines the perfect end to a  very busy week. 

IMG_1379.jpeg

• I like it 7

15 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Yes, I did end up climbing the Weller ladder last night. 😁

Weller SR

Weller CYPB

Joe’s 2021 Weller Blend

Joe’s 2018 Weller Blend Gary’s Batch

A ps Weller FP

and the top rung, 2017 WLW

It’s been a while since I’ve climbed the ladder. I had fairly small pours so I didn’t over do things. It was fun and tasty.🥳😋

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.430ad7e73c455bdcbdbab04a523ae229.jpeg

where would OWA have fit into this sequence, in your opinion?

Changing it up tonight. EWSiB 2005 in the glass tonight.  So much enjoyment packed into lower proof Bourbon. 

Cheers

4 hours ago, Edd said:

New to the forums, but here was my Friday night offering for poker night with the fellas

20210314_062856.jpg

Nice!

Was that the before or after picture, cuz I’d of been all over the RRSiB

😁

Also, Welcome aboard.

Edited by 0895

9 hours ago, steven s said:

where would OWA have fit into this sequence, in your opinion?

I like Weller 12 and OWA well enough, but I pretty much just use them in my blends. 🤔 There‘s a couple of reasons for this. The availability of OWA and Weller 12 is one reason. I have a bunch of Weller SR, but limited numbers of bottles of OWA and Weller 12. The other reason is that to be honest, I actually prefer my blend over OWA and Weller 12 by themselves. Also, I don’t really have a set lineup. Other than starting with Weller SR, I just grab the Weller’s I have open on my shelf from front to back. FWIW, I did forget that I had a 2007 ps Weller 12 open. It was hiding on my shelf way in the  back. 😉

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

Nice!

Was that the before or after picture, cuz I’d of been all over the RRSiB

😁

Also, Welcome aboard.

That was the before pic, the RR was a hit with everyone. Im really liking the Belle Meade as well.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.