What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Winter 2020)

Wedelstaedt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I've been thinking about the Texas people.  I hope you all are OK.

I'll say Thanks on behalf of fellow Texans. Personally all good here.

• I like it 5

14 hours ago, Kepler said:

Oh the barrel proof was for when I  didn't have any heat in the house.  How do you think I made it to the weekend? 😜

Now that that things are back to normal, even the proof in my whiskey can be normal again, Lol.  This W12 sure is tasting good.

I've been wondering how you were doing! Glad to hear the power is back. 

22 hours ago, Jazz June said:

How does this compare to the current Old Fo 100 or Old Forester 1897 (if you've had them recently)?

The Old Fo 100 of recent years has rebounded from some years of mediocre whiskey, IMO.  There was a stretch there, that it really lost its way.  It’s solid, now.  In comparing it to the dimpled bottle, the dimpled has more of the dark fruit notes.  And, a rich raisin-y character.  Thicker whiskey, for sure.  Heavier.  But, the DNA is still present in the current 100 proof.  The nice leather notes and oak from such a young whiskey, still are detectable, but not as fully developed as the DB.  The current is good, but just lighter in most areas when compared to the dimpled bottle and other older Old Fos.  

• I like it 4

Finished moving the neighbor.  Poor man’s Pappy blend it is.

EC1397B5-183C-4709-8514-C66B9F036F1C.jpeg

Edited by markandrex
Old thread, wait, that could be me.
  • I like it 1

On a SBS roll tonight!  

Opened my local's new KCSiB pick, at 9.5 years old.  Drinking SBS with the old-label KC9 from five years back.  What can I tell you that you don't already know?  Charcoal, woody, rich, delicious bourbon.  Really, just about as good as bourbon gets.  

Knob Creek and Bookers are my favorite Beam products and both are stacked deep below deck.  Just about a life-times supply!  

Prost! 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

The Old Fo 100 of recent years has rebounded from some years of mediocre whiskey, IMO.  There was a stretch there, that it really lost its way.  It’s solid, now.  In comparing it to the dimpled bottle, the dimpled has more of the dark fruit notes.  And, a rich raisin-y character.  Thicker whiskey, for sure.  Heavier.  But, the DNA is still present in the current 100 proof.  The nice leather notes and oak from such a young whiskey, still are detectable, but not as fully developed as the DB.  The current is good, but just lighter in most areas when compared to the dimpled bottle and other older Old Fos.  

Fantastic notes of comparison there. I love that you can connect the DNA from the old one to the current one.

Getting in to this new OGD 114 tonight.  Maybe, I’m just on a good palate night tonight, but this is the best 114 I’ve had in years.  

C73F880C-A62A-4C68-935B-DB4D9CD7D3CD.jpeg

• I like it 3

Had a bit of EWSB earlier, now digging into that New Riff BIB a bit...this is a really interesting whiskey. Kind of a floral/raisin/dark fruit thing going on in the nose...more dark fruit on the palate with a hint of pipe tobacco in a good way...oak, raisin, spice, and a touch more tobacco on the finish, yet it evolves...I rather like this one...it's different!

10 hours ago, flahute said:

I've been wondering how you were doing! Glad to hear the power is back. 

Thanks for everyone's concerns.  Yep all good now.  I lost power for a day and a half and luckily it was not during the coldest days.  I was one of the lucky ones.  In hindsight it would have been better if I was one of those that lost heat during the coldest days because I have a pretty big stash of ECBP that most folks don't have, hah. 

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Getting in to this new OGD 114 tonight.  Maybe, I’m just on a good palate night tonight, but this is the best 114 I’ve had in years.  

C73F880C-A62A-4C68-935B-DB4D9CD7D3CD.jpeg

I picked one up recently & it was pretty rough around the edges at first... but a few weeks after opening, it's become very enjoyable.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

It's really interesting to me to see you mention getting those notes from current OF Signature or 100 or whatever. If I'm not mistaken, isn't that what they use as the base for OF1910? I feel like I recall they take the OF 100 & proof it down to 93, then let it spend a few more months in those ultra charred barrels.

I get an awesome, decedent dessert vibe off of OF 1910, and the first thing that pops into my mind when nosing & tasting it is candied dates... which doesn't fall far at all from the rich, raisin-y character you mentioned. I feel like it has a nice rich, thick, full mouthfeel as well... which also seems to fall in line with the thicker, heavier, rich descriptors you used for the OF 100. Obviously the barrel char comes through with the 1910, so there's plenty of toasted oak going on as well. I suppose that extra char might mask some of the youthful characteristics which are more prevalent in the OF 100.

At any rate, I just thought it was interesting that the notes I got from the 1910 sound pretty close to what you mentioned picking up on the OF 100, but I guess that would actually make a lot of sense if it's made from the same juice.

Edited by k-train

16 minutes ago, Kepler said:

This OGD talk makes me want a pour or three.  OGD114 it is.  One of the better winter pours if you ask me.

It really does seem to work nicely with this time of year.

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

This OGD talk makes me want a pour or three.  OGD114 it is.  One of the better winter pours if you ask me.

I always get a cinnamon flavor (the good kind) along with some other baking spices that does bring a sense of comfort during the winter months. 

• I like it 1

Damn I have still to taste OGD114, need to get on that.

I am enjoying my Sunday afternoon sipping on some Sazerac Rye and now i'm on ECBP B19

Drinking an interesting OF mashup blend. I just finished the final set of the first round of the OFBP SiB challenge. Two of them really stood out with a third that was pretty close. I always start these tastings with a small control pour of OF100 because I'm intimately familiar with so I know where my palate stands before grading the samples.

After finishing the ratings, I enjoyed the last of the winner and then dumped the remainders of the other three (what was left in the glencairns) into the OF 100. Pretty good! Then added some 1920. Pretty good! Then added some OFSiB (90 proof) from a few years back. Not as good! Should of stopped at the 1920. Still a tasty blend however. 

• I like it 2

First full sided soccer matches of the year yesterday.  Three matches total.  Sore today.  If Old Forester was good enough to be considered medicinal during Prohibition, it is good enough for medicinal purposes tonight.  

OF100 is serving its purpose tonight. May be the best tasting medicine I have ever had.

• I like it 5

A good day at the office today deserves a full 6 grains into my end of day pour!!  😂

3457D76A-D5A5-4CE4-835B-A262CC00A3FB.jpeg

• I like it 5

I had such a great experience over the weekend with a recentLY purchased OGD114, I figured I needed to dive back into an ND OGD BIB.  As different as night and day.   Completely different profiles, though I would choose this 114 50% of the time... 😁.  Like most dusty versus current comparisons, the older whiskies have an overall better and thicker and heavier mouthfeel.  But once I get past that, it really just comes down to personal taste profile preferences.  Sometimes I just prefer one over the other on any given day.  

C8FF93A8-0A7C-4BAA-97A9-1276CD831EFD.jpeg

• I like it 5

Egad, what a day at work.  First email to greet me in the morning was shite...and the last one was shite, as well.  In between?  More shite.   Old, Orphaned, Lost, pretty much sums it up...🤪

DEBD65F4-E807-457F-81CF-3D7CE2603FB0.jpeg

• I like it 5

On 2/23/2021 at 5:05 PM, smokinjoe said:

I had such a great experience over the weekend with a recentLY purchased OGD114, I figured I needed to dive back into an ND OGD BIB.  As different as night and day.   Completely different profiles, though I would choose this 114 50% of the time... 😁.  Like most dusty versus current comparisons, the older whiskies have an overall better and thicker and heavier mouthfeel.  But once I get past that, it really just comes down to personal taste profile preferences.  Sometimes I just prefer one over the other on any given day.  

C8FF93A8-0A7C-4BAA-97A9-1276CD831EFD.jpeg

Looks good (mouth watering)...

Drinking a new label KC9yr and am happy to see that it's back to tasting great.

Also drinking a new purchase / fresh crack WT101 and am happy to report that it's also tasting great.

So great how these readily available and affordable bourbons can deliver at a high level. 

• I like it 3

My yesterday was pretty on par with smokinjoe's.  To cap it all of we did a very small going away dinner for my boss who I really like and is being exited from the company.  It's on the fifth time i've been in a restaurant since COVID-19 started.  The last email before I left for dinner got me really riled up.  So I started with a WT Kentucky Spirit and then upped the game to a Talisker before sat for dinner. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.