What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Winter 2020)

Wedelstaedt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I’ve really come around to enjoying this whiskey, but it took some time.  Opened this today, and it is starting as well as my first bottle finished.  Nice depth.  Still spirity over the tongue, but I believe I have adapted to it, and am realizing that it’s more rye spice than alcohol heat.  Still not crazy about the pricing, but it is a fine pour.

DC483C42-7ED9-4F2A-9515-84FD8C2299AF.jpeg

• I like it 9

Just picked up ECBP A121 and cracked it open immediately. Not a huge EC fan but it's hard to not like this.

Edited by SouthATL

44 minutes ago, SouthATL said:

Just picked up ECBP A121 and cracked it open immediately. Not a huge EC fan but it's hard to not like this.

It’s awesome you’ve already picked up an A121. 

here in Pittsburgh, it’d be nice if the PA Liquor Control Board ever released B120, let alone C120 or A121. 

13 minutes ago, Rhettro said:

It’s awesome you’ve already picked up an A121. 

here in Pittsburgh, it’d be nice if the PA Liquor Control Board ever released B120, let alone C120 or A121. 

Hey now, I always loved being able to buy good older batches of ECBP in PA, months after they actually came out.

:)

• I like it 1

WTKS in my glass. This one was bottled in 2011. Turkey goodness through & through

Cheers 

• I like it 3

Been on the Beam train this evening.  KC SiB PS, Baker's 7, Old Tub, and LB3.  The Knob Creek 9yr store pick has been the best by far.  So chewy. 

The Old Tub is interesting and pretty darn tasty (if not remarkable) ... but ... simply too young to be a really enjoyable experience like the Distiller's Cut.  Still, at $18 in my market I can't complain at all.  I've tasted plenty of too-young Texas craft whiskey at literally more than twice the price (looking at you Still Austin Musician).  So OTBiB remains a very solid value for an uncut bonded KSBW for less than an Andrew Jackson.

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Been on the Beam train this evening.  KC SiB PS, Baker's 7, Old Tub, and LB3.  The Knob Creek 9yr store pick has been the best by far.  So chewy. 

The Old Tub is interesting and pretty darn tasty (if not remarkable) ... but ... simply too young to be a really enjoyable experience like the Distiller's Cut.  Still, at $18 in my market I can't complain at all.  I've tasted plenty of too-young Texas craft whiskey at literally more than twice the price (looking at you Still Austin Musician).  So OTBiB remains a very solid value for an uncut bonded KSBW for less than an Andrew Jackson.

In my market, so many locals crawl over each other to buy BT products (like everywhere) and expensive craft bourbons. They leave so many  good sub $25 bottles on the shelf. Like EWBiB, EW Black, WT101, JB BiB, et al. 

Their loss.......

Cheers

• I like it 2

Moved onto RRSiB.  Always a good pour, but it is not as interesting as the WTKS

Cheers

• I like it 1

Had some of this blend last night.  This around 20 year handle of OC8yr is really nice except the proof.  Figured blending with high proofed OGD114 might help.  Stagg Jr use to go into my OC8yr blend but it’s now a ghost.

Also wish there was more of these old school handles out there.  

AB5F9884-FEFD-4314-870F-39B0853AD9A5.jpeg

Out in the garage watching a wet slushy snow fall with an Old Forester Statesman.  My favorite OF by a mile.  On my current Top 5 bourbons available today, as well.  Great balance, with a syrupy mouthfeel.  Chewy and sweetness, oak, dried flowers, Goetze’s Caramel Creams...just delicious.  

DB2C1396-7CDE-4FA5-BB90-C55EB4432377.jpeg

• I like it 9

51 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Out in the garage watching a wet slushy snow fall with an Old Forester Statesman.  My favorite OF by a mile.  On my current Top 5 bourbons available today, as well.  Great balance, with a syrupy mouthfeel.  Chewy and sweetness, oak, dried flowers, Goetze’s Caramel Creams...just delicious.  

Luckily for those of us that know this, it doesn't have a horsey stopper.

• I like it 1

57 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I need to get another bottle. I havent had it since early 2018. With the way OF1920 and OF100 are singing to me lately I bet the Statesman would hit the spot too. 

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

1) you are on a roll today. First a boulevardier with this whiskey, then, drinking it neat while watching the snow fall. (So great to drink a fine bourbon while the white stuff falls.)

2) yet another indication why we are brothers! This is one of my sleeper bourbons from the OF family. Just love the stuff. It's a little price inflated in my market so I don't drink it a lot but boy do I love it. Maybe I should get over it since I like it so much.

Bought a new school KC9yr age stated to compare with one of the pre dropping the age statement KC9yrs I have. Haven't done that yet. I'm reporting here to let you all know that it appears that KC has gotten some wax tech from MM because when I opened this the wax did not crumble. I repeat, the wax did not crumble!

5 minutes ago, dad-proof said:

The power of suggestion.

PXL_20210207_020831326.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.b291aea848ac6cd9c7b0968b0fe2cdcb.jpg

With a brownie!!!!  (heads to pantry to find box of brownie mix...).   😋

Power of suggestion...  😊

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, dad-proof said:

The power of suggestion.

smokinjoe is the King at that.

• I like it 2

After dinner, with my wife's oatmeal scotchie cookies I had a healthy pour of a KC SiB 120 PS.  Just the right amount of oak.  Followed that with an EC BP.  Both were winners.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, dad-proof said:

The power of suggestion.

15 minutes ago, flahute said:

smokinjoe is the King at that.

There’s a new King in town...😂

I guess it makes perfect sense that we’re watching “Inception” right now while eating these warm brownies... 🤪

0258E204-6D83-437C-B480-CA3FD71EF10B.jpeg

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, smokinjoe said:

There’s a new King in town...😂

I guess it makes perfect sense that we’re watching “Inception” right now while eating these warm brownies... 🤪

0258E204-6D83-437C-B480-CA3FD71EF10B.jpeg

That is quick work on those brownies and what an appropriate movie!

(I just watched Tenet on the plane and that movie messes with you in a similar way).

Decided it was time to open a bottle of KCSB NH State Pick today that was 11yrs old. It was good not great but the finish held my attention. I also opened a bottle of L&K Buffalo Trace SB "Vanilla Six" which at first pour, was really good! Can't wait to have more of that one tomorrow!

• I like it 2

I started the evening with a small pour (last of the bottle) of ER. Next up was a pour of my 2018 Weller Blend. (My bottle of this is getting quite low.😢) Bending to peer pressure, OF 100 in the glass now.

As far as sweet treats go, no brownies here, but we did make a couple of batches of hot cocoa fudge earlier today. 😲 Of course we had to quality test the batches. 😋 I’m having a couple of pieces with my OF 100 as I type this.

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.b2123283d12b57f5b26678c3a259c502.jpeg

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.