What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Winter 2020)

Wedelstaedt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Movie night with Ms. Wedel. I'm enjoying a little MMCS.

Cheers

After another pour of the MMCS, I've since had EWSiB 2005 &

a BT PS

Three distilleries, all tasty & great in their own way. 

Cheers 

• I like it 3

On 2/5/2021 at 7:06 PM, markandrex said:

WTRB

45E01431-60B3-47AE-88F6-452605ED58FA.jpeg

Bill Brasky sized pour right there.  :-))

Cheers

• I like it 2

Onto Barrell Bourbon SiB PS. A 13yr. Like it, no Yabba Dabba Doo here, even though all TN distillate. 

Cheers

Edited by Wedelstaedt
Added distillate state

Final pour for the evening. WT MK Decades. Man, oh man, this Whiskey just knocks it out of the park for me. For many, I think it flew a little under the radar. Luckily for me, as I have bunkered a few of these bottles for a nice price. 

Cheers 

• I like it 2

23 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I started the evening with a small pour (last of the bottle) of ER. Next up was a pour of my 2018 Weller Blend. (My bottle of this is getting quite low.😢) Bending to peer pressure, OF 100 in the glass now.

As far as sweet treats go, no brownies here, but we did make a couple of batches of hot cocoa fudge earlier today. 😲 Of course we had to quality test the batches. 😋 I’m having a couple of pieces with my OF 100 as I type this.

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.b2123283d12b57f5b26678c3a259c502.jpeg

am I seeing a couple of squares of fudge on the upside-down glen?

drinking somewhat eclectics tonight.  started with elijah rye which was enjoyable.  ended with ER17 2019 which I really enjoyed tonight.  when I 1st got these I was not that impressed, but tonight liked it enough to trounce 1/3 bottle.  picking up lots of great flavors tonight, minty.

8 hours ago, steven s said:

am I seeing a couple of squares of fudge on the upside-down glen?

You most certainly are. 😋

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Sweeter than I remember.  Typically, the older Beams age that out to my palate.  This is good.  I swear, I still see this in stores occasionally!  😂

AB78ABC0-A80E-4270-9ECC-667847D35844.jpeg

• I like it 9

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Sweeter than I remember.  Typically, the older Beams age that out to my palate.  This is good.  I swear, I still see this in stores occasionally!  😂

Now that is a nice looking pour!  It prompts me to have another pour of MMCS.

Just saw it in a store a couple days ago

I figured it was needed since there are rumors of this one soon being a label of the past. 6yr 90 proof is just a fantastic pour.

Tonight's music was inspired by @Keplermentioning Don Williams in the What's got your ear thread. Nice and easy country music from the 70's and 80's. 

20210210_204537.jpg

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

It is good!.

And yes, I still see it on a shelf every so often.

Just can't open my wallet though...

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

I figured it was needed since there are rumors of this one soon being a label of the past. 6yr 90 proof is just a fantastic pour.

Tonight's music was inspired by @Keplermentioning Don Williams in the What's got your ear thread. Nice and easy country music from the 70's and 80's. 

20210210_204537.jpg

“ That a way to go”  ....smooth and smooth.   I’m having the same tonite and all week. Stocked up for a few years to come if the rumors from my Kentucky brethren are true. 

• I like it 1

Very glad to see Friday coming tomorrow!  A pour of ECBP A121 to take a little of the sharp edges off tonight, so I can be cool going in to Friday.  Initial impressions of this release is just ho-hum at this point.  Seems a bit thin, and without the richness of many previous ECBP releases.  But, not anywhere near a final verdict at this time.  Tomorrow is a new day, and who knows what I’ll get then!  😁

12CD8DCA-9458-4004-BEBD-CCB8E2D87302.jpeg

• I like it 4

27 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Very glad to see Friday coming tomorrow!  A pour of ECBP A121 to take a little of the sharp edges off tonight, so I can be cool going in to Friday.  Initial impressions of this release is just ho-hum at this point.  Seems a bit thin, and without the richness of many previous ECBP releases.  But, not anywhere near a final verdict at this time.  Tomorrow is a new day, and who knows what I’ll get then!  😁

Very nice with the 12y EC glass....

• I like it 1

On 2/10/2021 at 7:07 PM, smokinjoe said:

It is still around in both Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Led a private Zoom tasting last night - all L&K picks.  Ezra Brooks Distiller's Collection "Better Than" 107pf, Bib & Tucker 12yr 99pf, and Lot 40 Cask Strength Rye (Julio's/Binny's collaborative pick!) 114pf.  Yummo all!   😋

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 6

Spent a good portion of the day helping the widow across the street and her family load up a moving truck.  Her husband passed a few months ago and she has decided to move closer to the kids and grandkids.  We have a few more loading days, one trip a day to Lexington.  I am strictly on this end of the labor gang.  We should be finished by Monday/Tuesday, trying to beat some more winter weather heading in.

A large pour of WTKS warehouse O for medicinal purposes.  Never had a O before this bottle.  A very nice profile.  I may let it open up after this for a little while.

image.jpg

Edited by markandrex
CSFS
  • I like it 5

I’ve been hitting the ECBP A121 the past week and decided I needed to tone down the proof a bit. Started the night with HM10 which I haven’t had in probably 5 years. Better than I remember but maybe that’s because I paid $25 more for the bottle this time.

Followed that up with an ER which never disappoints. 

• I like it 1

On 2/11/2021 at 6:25 PM, smokinjoe said:

On 2/11/2021 at 6:53 PM, LCWoody said:

Very nice with the 12y EC glass....

I have a rocks glass like that

On 2/11/2021 at 7:25 PM, smokinjoe said:

I bet if you have a bigger pour your impression will change.  😁

• I like it 1

Enjoying BT PS this evening.  The palate is in the groove tonight.  I love it, when that happens. 

Cheers

Edited by Wedelstaedt
Clarification
  • I like it 2

10 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I bet if you have a bigger pour your impression will change.  😁

Ha!  I did give it a solid Round 2 last night.  It’s not a bad whiskey by any means, and honestly, it doesn’t have any flaws...though my initial comments may suggest that.  The thinness I detected has turned out to be less apparent than what I first observed.  But, this release is more subdued and less layered in its flavor profiles than some other ECBPS I’ve had.   It is still very good, however.  ECBP’s terrific track record in outstanding class leading releases every year, has perhaps caused me to set an unrealistically high bar for it that not reaching is not necessarily reason for voicing disappointment.  Because, I certainly was not disappointed.  I’ll still finish it quickly, and would pick up a second!  

• I like it 2

Ha!  I did give it a solid Round 2 last night.  It’s not a bad whiskey by any means, and honestly, it doesn’t have any flaws...though my initial comments may suggest that.  The thinness I detected has turned out to be less apparent than what I first observed.  But, this release is more subdued and less layered in its flavor profiles than some other ECBPS I’ve had.   It is still very good, however.  ECBP’s terrific track record in outstanding class leading releases every year, has perhaps caused me to set an unrealistically high bar for it that not reaching is not necessarily reason for voicing disappointment.  Because, I certainly was not disappointed.  I’ll still finish it quickly, and would pick up a second!  

What I like about the lower proof releases A121, B519, and B520, is that what you call  subdued, my palate takes as smooth. On the higher proof releases like C919, what I taste is that peppery afterburn with a hint of gasoline. I don't like that as much, as I find myself sipping these neat.  I also find with the lower proofs is that even thoiugh I take fairly small pours, half the bottle is gone in a c.ouple of days. So I usually end up buying 2-3 bottles of the lower proof releases, as opposed to 1 and done with the higher proofs.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.