What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Winter 2020)

Wedelstaedt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 hours ago, yobber76 said:

What I like about the lower proof releases A121, B519, and B520, is that what you call  subdued, my palate takes as smooth. On the higher proof releases like C919, what I taste is that peppery afterburn with a hint of gasoline. I don't like that as much, as I find myself sipping these neat.  I also find with the lower proofs is that even thoiugh I take fairly small pours, half the bottle is gone in a c.ouple of days. So I usually end up buying 2-3 bottles of the lower proof releases, as opposed to 1 and done with the higher proofs.

I enjoy high proof pours as well, but the 128 proof from 2015 is my absolute favorite ECBP.

Watching “Ghost” with Mrssmokinjoe and Littlesmokinjoe with a pour of Isaac Bowman Port Finished.  I appreciate the finished whiskey category as they have their place in my enjoyment of whiskey, and this is one of the better ones. Yum.  

3DFB0824-AF15-4D12-AA02-456A5F74AE27.jpeg

• I like it 4

I’m having a couple of pours of BT tonight. No complaints at all. 😋

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

Had a nice Valentines dinner with the wife earlier and then we came home and watched a movie.  'The Current War' which we quite enjoyed. Its about Thomas Edison and George Westinghouse competing with their electricity & lighting solutions in the 1880s.  While watching that I sipped pours from a WT101 handle I had just opened and it's just been an incredible bottle so far.

Now listening to some tunes and switched to KCSiB 9 yr PS.  Like WT101 this is another staple that never disappoints.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 5

I enjoyed the BT last night enough, I decided to return to it tonight. A good decision on my part, I must say. 😉

Cheers

• I like it 2

Day off tomorrow, so I get to indulge a little more tonight.  A new WT that is much better than the last. 

• I like it 1

Stumbled on this bottle of Evan Williams Master Blend in the back of the cabinet over the weekend.  Picked it up at the EW Experience a couple years ago.  Supposedly a mingle of their 23 yr, Single Barrel, 1783, BIB, and standard Black Label.  It’s OK, with certainly more heft to it than several of the standard issue components (I surmise thanks to the 24 primarily), but not sure I can step forward today and say markedly better in relation to the bottle’s cost (which I can’t remember exactly, but it was high).  

9E7AFD07-2FF7-412D-980A-1542A8519BE7.jpeg

• I like it 3

I’m generally a fan of standard Larceny, but I used to enjoy it more a couple years ago.  Don’t know why...Me. It. Time....But I really enjoy the Barrel Proof version.  Opened another this evening, and it is terrific.  Still a “drier” wheater more in the vein of Maker’s, as opposed to the juiciness of Weller Antique, but the extra proof seems to unleash more from the profile.  The dried flowers element is more pronounced.  The subdued brown sugars have more pop. The rickhouse notes on the nose are more fulfilling. The Goetze’s Caramel cream notes are fresher.   It’s a better whiskey all around, that goes beyond just an uptick in proof.  

A4114487-3DF8-4F5F-A4B8-F1F8AD15504C.jpeg

• I like it 3

Officially 5:00, so Officially Bourbon Time.😁

First pour is an Old Forester BIB “dimpled bottle”.  Classic Old Fo whiskey right here.  Chewy, dark fruits, turbinado sugar, tobacco,  oak.  Oh my... 😋

A7FFE4BF-75B6-43C8-97B4-858405CF7D46.jpeg

• I like it 9

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Officially 5:00, so Officially Bourbon Time.😁

First pour is an Old Forester BIB “dimpled bottle”.  Classic Old Fo whiskey right here.  Chewy, dark fruits, turbinado sugar, tobacco,  oak.  Oh my... 😋

A7FFE4BF-75B6-43C8-97B4-858405CF7D46.jpeg

How does this compare to the current Old Fo 100 or Old Forester 1897 (if you've had them recently)?

On 2/16/2021 at 6:27 PM, smokinjoe said:

I’m generally a fan of standard Larceny, but I used to enjoy it more a couple years ago.  Don’t know why...Me. It. Time....But I really enjoy the Barrel Proof version.  Opened another this evening, and it is terrific. 

Okay, ya talked me into it.  In past I've found Larceny hit or miss, not the product but how it hit me.  Most anything is good at high proof so I'm shopping tomorrow.  

On 2/16/2021 at 6:27 PM, smokinjoe said:

I....But I really enjoy the Barrel Proof version.  ...

or not shopping for it tomorrow.  state abc showing 0 inventory

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, B.B. Babington said:

or not shopping for it tomorrow.  state abc showing 0 inventory

😢.  

I started the weekend with some of the recent GBS Four Roses Single Barrel.  I’ve switched over to some Rare Breed Rye to close out the evening.

• I like it 1

On 2/15/2021 at 5:23 PM, smokinjoe said:

Stumbled on this bottle of Evan Williams Master Blend in the back of the cabinet over the weekend.  Picked it up at the EW Experience a couple years ago.  Supposedly a mingle of their 23 yr, Single Barrel, 1783, BIB, and standard Black Label.  It’s OK, with certainly more heft to it than several of the standard issue components (I surmise thanks to the 24 primarily), but not sure I can step forward today and say markedly better in relation to the bottle’s cost (which I can’t remember exactly, but it was high).  

9E7AFD07-2FF7-412D-980A-1542A8519BE7.jpeg

I bought one of those too, a couple of years ago.  I like it, but thought it was a bit pricey.  I'm pretty sure that the the 23 year is added to the blend in an eye-dropper.     We did one of those Speakeasy tours at the EW Experience, (which was a lot of fun), and tried the Red Label which we all agreed was very, very good.   The only reason I bought the Master Blend, was because the cost of the Red Label was north of $100.00 and I couldn't bring myself to do it, but I wanted to buy something "unique"

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I reached way into the back of the cabinet this evening. 😎

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.c90df2020906b22508848e7bfd520a68.jpeg

You read my mind. 

• I like it 1

Just now, Kepler said:

Been a long week. 

It's Weller Time.

20210219_221950.jpg

Been following the weather your way, I bet it has been a long week.  I’m surprised you’re not going straight to the barrel proofs to help thaw out... 😁.  

10 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Been following the weather your way, I bet it has been a long week.  I’m surprised you’re not going straight to the barrel proofs to help thaw out... 😁.  

Oh the barrel proof was for when I  didn't have any heat in the house.  How do you think I made it to the weekend? 😜

Now that that things are back to normal, even the proof in my whiskey can be normal again, Lol.  This W12 sure is tasting good.

• I like it 5

2 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Oh the barrel proof was for when I  didn't have any heat in the house.  How do you think I made it to the weekend? 😜

Now that that things are back to normal, even the proof in my whiskey can be normal again, Lol.  This W12 sure is tasting good.

Heehee!  👍🏻

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.