What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2020-2021)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, geclbxf said:

you are going to love the A121

Still working through C919, B520.  Got a C920 to get started on as well.  Tough work, but someone's got to do it.  

6 hours ago, marshall9779 said:

Picked up an Old Scout pick my did.

584CB5D5-DE5D-4BE2-8D2D-4472EFFDD254.jpeg

As c’mon Marshall. :huh: Sarah? 😉

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

On 3/25/2021 at 5:09 PM, GeeTen said:

Still $34.95 OTD.  We get it in about once a month here abouts . . . . . . .  😝

I might have to come visit.

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

As c’mon Marshall. :huh: Sarah? 😉

Biba! Joe

Nope.image.thumb.jpg.269f3980e98e8ade974956d2a4c83b0b.jpg

• I like it 1

Hadn't had KC in a good while...saw the 9yo age statement was back, so I grabbed a bottle and a bottle of MM. :) 

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, Richdel said:

Made a trip across the state line to MD, picked up a bottle of the new ECBP A121 and a bottle of Rare Breed.

I just found an A120 today and got excited... How is the 2021 version? How does it compare to A120, if you've had it?

8 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

I just found an A120 today and got excited... How is the 2021 version? How does it compare to A120, if you've had it?

They are both great, but I like this years better.   More layers of flavor for me, and the finish lingered in a good way.

Just a flavor bomb.

• I like it 1

Went to a few different stores today to browse, and was disappointed to find very little additional selection from what I already can get at my local, and most things that were different seemed unreasonably priced. But, I was determined not to go home empty handed again, so I did grab a Coopers Craft 100. I saw someone on here (apologies, I’ve forgotten who) had spoke well of it, and for ~$30, why not give something new a try? 

Will probably report on it in the “drinking” thread later this weekend. 

• I like it 1

Thanks to a couple friends I was able to get an FAE-01 and an RC6. I feel a SBSBS coming on with the SE4xPR5.

20210327_122610.jpg

• I like it 7

5 hours ago, Clueby said:

Thanks to a couple friends I was able to get an FAE-01 and an RC6. I feel a SBSBS coming on with the SE4xPR5.

20210327_122610.jpg

Way to take one for the team, Tim!  🥳

3 hours ago, GeeTen said:

It's quite the sacrifice but I do what I can. 😜

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 2

On 3/25/2021 at 8:33 PM, LvR Mike said:

How much would you get it for before? I only see EHTSmB for $100 on the dot these days.

It's a batched non-age stated bourbon, BT mashbill #1.  I have no inside information but I figure it is a 6 year old product.  The MSRP is, what $40?  I see it for $34 to $44.  Other markets probably $49.  It's a very dubious value at $45-49.  Yes it is hard to find now, basically because of the behavior you are describing. Does that make it woth the extra prices?  Only the individual can decide how to spend their own money.  I personally would recommend  not paying more. There are better ways to spend your bourbon dollars.

• I like it 3

19 hours ago, Kepler said:

It's a batched non-age stated bourbon, BT mashbill #1.  I have no inside information but I figure it is a 6 year old product.  The MSRP is, what $40?  I see it for $34 to $44.  Other markets probably $49.  It's a very dubious value at $45-49.  Yes it is hard to find now, basically because of the behavior you are describing. Does that make it woth the extra prices?  Only the individual can decide how to spend their own money.  I personally would recommend  not paying more. There are better ways to spend your bourbon dollars.

There's apart of me that feels like I've had all the whiskies I've wanted to try on the shelf but then there's another part of me that knows there's plenty of good value things I've never had. With that being said, it makes finding that overpriced unicorn, for my area, appealing. Not going to lie, I LOVE EHTSmB. Would I pay $100 for it if I never saw another one cheaper, in my area? I'm not sure. Let's revisit this when the bottle I have is empty.

Don't get me wrong I love it too.  But the prices people are paying for this NAS select/upgraded version of BT is beyond me. Probably I was a little over the top in my post pertaining to value at $50 and under.  It's a fairly solid bourbon at $50 and one of my favorites at $35. 

• I like it 2

Bought my second bottle of Maker's Mark FAE-01.

I haven't really had time to decide if this edition is better than the Private Select blends from either Total Wine or ABC Fine Wine.  But S. Fl is so limited in options, that I didn't want to take a chance.  As my closest Total Wine apparently only had one case and that sold out before Saturday.   Had to go to another TW; where they had just put out their stock this morning.

MM FAE01.jpg

On 3/28/2021 at 2:34 AM, Kepler said:

i thought i read somewhere that EHT is around 9 yrs

• I like it 1

Picked up a bottle of Bowman Bros. Small Batch today, and they had BT so I grabbed a bottle of that, too. Don't see a whole lot on the interwebs about the BB SmB, but initial sips are encouraging.

On 3/29/2021 at 3:31 PM, Whiskeythink.com said:

The EHT Single Barrel we just picked last month was 9 years I believe.  The Stagg JR barrel was 8.  I actually keep meaning to see if I can get all the barrel stats from BT as we collectively did a terrible job memorializing the BT picks.

The big surprise to me was the Blanton's barrels we had were all about 5 years 10 months.  When we commented that it seemed young the response was "well it will be 6 years old by bottling"  Grrrrr.

On 3/9/2021 at 10:45 AM, Kyjd75 said:

Bardstown Bourbon Company's Discovery Series #4.  This time a blend of 13, 15 and 16 year old Kentucky bourbons.  Just picked it up this morning so I haven't tried it yet, but it looks promising.

7A542D66-1E35-4AFF-ABB6-CA2D6DBCA211_1_201_a.jpeg

2239A963-4499-4111-B706-BFD12A51F0C0_1_201_a.jpeg

Still haven't opened my bottle, but I was in Bardstown today at BBC, and wife and I had lunch at Bottle and Bond.  I ordered a pour of the Discovery#4 neat.  I have to say, it was fantastic, one of the best bourbons I have had.  I tried to buy another bottle after lunch, but they had none.  The clerk in the gift shop said they were sold out of all Discovery Series bottles, and would not have any more until the release of #5.  I guess the word is out that the BBC Discovery Series is good stuff.  If you see one of these bottles out in the wild, all I can say is, buy it.  You won't be sorry.

17 minutes ago, Kyjd75 said:

Still haven't opened my bottle, but I was in Bardstown today at BBC, and wife and I had lunch at Bottle and Bond.  I ordered a pour of the Discovery#4 neat.  I have to say, it was fantastic, one of the best bourbons I have had.  I tried to buy another bottle after lunch, but they had none.  The clerk in the gift shop said they were sold out of all Discovery Series bottles, and would not have any more until the release of #5.  I guess the word is out that the BBC Discovery Series is good stuff.  If you see one of these bottles out in the wild, all I can say is, buy it.  You won't be sorry.

I completely agree with your assessment and just love what BBC is doing with their Discovery series.  I was lucky to have acquired 3 bottles of batch #3 & 1 bottle of batch #4 over the past 6 months...

On 3/29/2021 at 3:31 PM, Whiskeythink.com said:

I highly doubt that, not for the small batch.   Maybe the special barrel selects, as Bob mentioned above.  But that's not the same thing.

Funny thing about NAS  is we never really know do we.  That's why they do it.

• I like it 2

Well, with NAS we know it's 4 years old, and maybe a day.

My real peeve is when an age statement is removed from the label, and a company swears up and down "it's still the same".  Really, so money was spent to change the label for no reason at all.  No age statement, no problem.  Charge 4 year old prices. 😁

I don't buy the wink and the nod.

• I like it 2

On 3/27/2021 at 6:23 PM, GeeTen said:

The sbsbsbs is underway.

The MM101 is there as the "control". It had the most youthful and brash nose of the bunch with that distinctive MM acetone note but I do like this one. A bit sweeter and more depth than regular MM and you don't really get the acetone on the palate that you do on the nose.

The RC6 has a definite fruitiness to the nose and the palate and tastes "fresher" than the others but is a bit lighter on body and finish. A bit of cinnamon and vanilla and then a flash of sweet caramel before it leaves.

SE4XPR5 had the weakest nose of the bunch but was also the only bottle that was already open before tonight. Woody right out of the gate but a lot of vanilla right afterward. The finish on this one is medium but suffers a bit from a tannic note.

FAE-01 starts out similar to SE4 but is a little rounder tasting and has a heavier feel to it. It also has a bit of dusty/earthiness to it that makes it seem older. It also has has a smoother finish that rolls away nicely.

I'd probably rank RC6 as more in my wheelhouse but it's the most different of the bunch. It leans more toward a Weller-type wheated profile.  I thought the heavier body of the FAE and the slightly bitter finish of the SE4 put the FAE un the next position for me. The MM101 didn't have the wood or depth of the others but is a definite step above standard MM

20210402_201841.jpg

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.