What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2020-2021)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

53 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

You're easy aren't you???  And I have a box for it if you need one . . . . .   🤪

Yes, I’m easy.

“Boxes? We don’t need no stinkin’ boxes.” 

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.56335033552b43c9cb747809274f623f.jpeg

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, Clueby said:

I've been out for a bit so grabbed a couple when available. 

20210317_183319.jpg

This is a must buy every time I see it, even if have  a case already stashed away

A friend told me to check out a little hole in the wall liquor shop nearby, and turns out he was right- picked up two bottles of JB Distiller's Cut, which I never expected to see. I will be visiting there again soon!

• I like it 3

Two liters of BT. Again, I couldn’t resist. ;)

Before anyone (@GeeTen) says anything, I know I’m easy.<_<

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.cd5f70957fc870652e1a0819d92bbc41.jpeg

• I like it 2

I didn’t have plans today, retirement is good.  I decided to take the Corvette out for a spin and do some eagle and bourbon spotting near Kentucky Lake.

The nest down river from me is active and I have seen them hunting.  They are on the nest so there is at least 1 egg.  They had two last year.  No decent pics yet.  I love to just sit and watch them, truly majestic.

I found quite a few over near the lake.  No clear shots of them either.

The bourbon hunting was less productive.  Multiple stops and didn’t pull the trigger on anything.

I decided to swing by one shop where the owner is a brig Corvette fan.  He drove the ‘80 last year and loved it.  He was in so I let him drive again and we swung in a little local place for bbq.  When we got back to the shop he went in the back and came out with these.  MSRP.  I told him to plan on me next year, probably every year.

A85C38B9-0DEC-4877-8EF5-EC0A1E8306D7.jpeg

• I like it 32

19 minutes ago, markandrex said:

I didn’t have plans today, retirement is good.  I decided to take the Corvette out for a spin and do some eagle and bourbon spotting near Kentucky Lake.

The nest down river from me is active and I have seen them hunting.  They are on the nest so there is at least 1 egg.  They had two last year.  No decent pics yet.  I love to just sit and watch them, truly majestic.

The bourbon hunting was less productive.  Multiple stops and didn’t pull the trigger on anything.

I decided to swing by one shop where the owner is a brig Corvette fan.  He drove the ‘80 last year and loved it.  He was in so I let him drive again and we swung in a little local place for bbq.  When we got back to the shop he went in the back and came out with these.  MSRP.  I told him to plan on me next year, probably every year.

This is my new favorite store relationship story.

• I like it 4

13 minutes ago, markandrex said:

A85C38B9-0DEC-4877-8EF5-EC0A1E8306D7.jpeg

And you probably bought that Vette to pick up chicks.  Little did you know that it would be equally as good for picking up bottles with an old guy on the label!!  😂

• I like it 3

19 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

And you probably bought that Vette to pick up chicks.  Little did you know that it would be equally as good for picking up bottles with an old guy on the label!!  😂

Actually, I bought the Corvette because I was the head of security there for twenty years.  The wife and I had a lot of fun in it over the years including annual drives with clubs on the Tail of the Dragon in TN.  Also a few trips to Helen Ga for Octoberfest on our anniversary.

Fast forward to 2021 and knee replacements, it doesn’t get the road time it really deserves.  
Likely sell it some day but the bottle benefit is a factor to consider. 🤔

• I like it 6

Latest haul.  $206.00 OTD, (less the Ardbeg, which was gifted to me).

I always have  BT on hand, and  was down to my last bottle.  Mom gives me call from the package store, and said that "BT is on sale for $21.99, how many bottles  do you want?"

Had I realized that they were 1L bottles, I would've asked her to buy a case.  

20210318_211402.jpg

• I like it 7

On 3/12/2021 at 7:46 PM, Kjbarth said:

Bought the one in the middle today. 5421E31B-F552-4342-8924-FE89CF75E002.thumb.jpeg.5d3fd58d8df07b63cf5a1b064e23af5e.jpeg

The shelf tag says "Knob Creek Rye."  Did you get it for $37.99?

• I like it 1

On 3/13/2021 at 5:09 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

3 days. 5 distilleries plus the EW gift shop. 7 barrels picked. I was the group mule so this is the total haul over 4 of us.  Of the HH rarities only the OF16 is mine. Amazing trip, but exhausting. On a little whiskey BUYING hiatus for now. . . 

503DDE45-F5CC-4D22-A003-0B0F58F77E89.jpeg

On a little whiskey BUYING hiatus for now. . .  There corrected for you.  I am certain you will be drinking some of this.

• I like it 1

10 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

The shelf tag says "Knob Creek Rye."  Did you get it for $37.99?

I wish! It was $61. 

2 hours ago, markandrex said:

...annual drives with clubs on the Tail of the Dragon in TN.  ...

now that's bad a$$.  11 miles of unmonitored fun?  tail o' dragon gets serious sometimes, not for wimps.  so how often you change tires on the vette?

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, markandrex said:

including annual drives with clubs on the Tail of the Dragon in TN.

1 minute ago, B.B. Babington said:

now that's bad a$$.  11 miles of unmonitored fun?  tail o' dragon gets serious sometimes, not for wimps. 

Ha!

Several years ago the wife and I took a trip down there and ran the tail in our rental Ford Escape with the turbo 4 cylinder and AWD.  She was screaming and holding on for dear life most of the ride.

I kept in sight of the group of 911’s that started in front of me.

😂

• I like it 6

10 hours ago, markandrex said:

Actually, I bought the Corvette because I was the head of security there for twenty years.  The wife and I had a lot of fun in it over the years including annual drives with clubs on the Tail of the Dragon in TN.  Also a few trips to Helen Ga for Octoberfest on our anniversary.

Fast forward to 2021 and knee replacements, it doesn’t get the road time it really deserves.  
Likely sell it some day but the bottle benefit is a factor to consider. 🤔

You may have inadvertently met my brother in law. 🤔 He’s a Corvette guy, and has been to Bowling Green a number of times. He has two 86 Vettes. Sadly, he was on his way home from a car show last fall and was in an accident, and his beloved 63 was totaled. 😭

Joe 

On 3/18/2021 at 9:21 PM, mbroo5880i said:

On a little whiskey BUYING hiatus for now. . .  There corrected for you.  I am certain you will be drinking some of this.

Pfffft. As if.   The Dickel was a last min add and opened at the store. Sipped above 84.4pf with some caramel both on the nose and palate. Finish is light with a subdued minerality. Still not a profile I enjoy, but I’ll circle back every so often. 

Thinking the Makers is up tonight.

Oh and 4R sent us a sample of our barrel and those savages polished it right off!  That’s ok. I’ve still got all the BP samples from BT. . .  

FAA9C831-CD75-41BA-BD98-4C6C8DAC4B50.jpeg

• I like it 2

Just returned from a spring break trip to Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, and North Carolina. 

File_000 (3).jpeg

• I like it 4

My local grocer had one last poor lonely bottle of BT on the shelf. I was in a merciful mood so I adopted it. :D 

• I like it 5

Today's purchases.  It has been a while for the DN and I hope it hasn't changed much in the interim.  Never had the Bowman.   Enjoyed their straight bourbons at the distillery last year and heard good things about the port barrel finish.

IMG_20210321_125221991.jpg

1 hour ago, TwoFingers said:

Today's purchases.  It has been a while for the DN and I hope it hasn't changed much in the interim.  Never had the Bowman.   Enjoyed their straight bourbons at the distillery last year and heard good things about the port barrel finish.

I keep passing on that Bowman port finish. I need to pick one of those up eventually. 

So made my first trip to, Kentucky this weekend. Was trying to get anything I can't find back home or anything that was cheaper really. 18 bottles later...

Also, I went on a tour at Bardstown Bourbon Company. Loved it. Customer for life.

38EBE88C-C553-4D53-A43C-55D2E5A25AB2.jpeg

• I like it 6

15 hours ago, TwoFingers said:

Let me know your thoughts on the DN, it's been on my "to-purchase" list but can't find it around here.

Thanks,

On Friday made a trip a bit away from home and hit two places to get some bottles that I cannot get local.  

Was a bottom shelf kind of shopping spree - many I chose because of what is posted here 😉

Of these - only the VOB and OF were ones I have had so grabbed them while I was there too.  Have had EW but not bonded (that I recall)

So working my way through these to see what I might find for new go-to bottles.

I do enjoy a glass even more when I know it is not overpriced and still tastes good to me  😉 

IMG_0183.jpg

• I like it 5

35 minutes ago, tascabe said:

On Friday made a trip a bit away from home and hit two places to get some bottles that I cannot get local.  

Was a bottom shelf kind of shopping spree - many I chose because of what is posted here 😉

Of these - only the VOB and OF were ones I have had so grabbed them while I was there too.  Have had EW but not bonded (that I recall)

So working my way through these to see what I might find for new go-to bottles.

I do enjoy a glass even more when I know it is not overpriced and still tastes good to me  😉 

IMG_0183.jpg

Welcome to my world. 😁

Starting on the left, I have not had the first three for quite some time.  KY Tavern I can find, but prefer other options.  AA and Old Fitz, I don't believe get distributed around here anymore.  I would grab those if given the chance.

Starting with the Early Times, to the VOB - all very solid choices. 👍

• I like it 1

Okay, this is Monday’s and Wednesday’s selections, but I didn’t realize until after I snapped the photo there is technically only one bourbon, and a few would argue not even that. 

CC33B66F-1DC7-4963-ACA9-A3B518F1D388.jpeg

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.