What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Winter 2020-2021)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, PhantomLamb said:

Better options than LB3 at retail?  I'd run back to that store...

I only had one small pour almost 2 years ago, but I do remember being very impressed. I agree with you.

Passed on a bunch of stuff at a store nearby. Blantons for $119 but their limited release collection required you picking 4 bottles and the manager would let you know the cost.  BS. Had GTS, St Nick, ETL 100 and a bunch more.    I told the guy I could list probably every bottle’s suggested retail price and he laughed and said they were nowhere near list.  

• I like it 1

58 minutes ago, JGriff said:

Passed on a bunch of stuff at a store nearby. Blantons for $119 but their limited release collection required you picking 4 bottles and the manager would let you know the cost.  BS. Had GTS, St Nick, ETL 100 and a bunch more.    I told the guy I could list probably every bottle’s suggested retail price and he laughed and said they were nowhere near list.  

You should have told him that you would pick 4 bottles and tell him what you would pay; otherwise he could kiss the ol' a$$!!!

• I like it 5

Yeah, I have a good idea why all those are still sitting there a long time.  Is the guy running a museum.  He's one of those - I'm so full of myself, see what I have, just like to jerk people around sorts.

Good business people don't sit on inventory an unusual amount of time.  Bring it in the back door.  Move it out the front.  Treat the customers right. 

• I like it 6

McKenna 10-yr BIB at $60.  It was $40 a few months ago at the same store.  Its good at $40, much better competition at $60.

Passed on multiple private picks of Balcones malt whiskeys.  I find most of their stuff to taste like sh!t and no amount of pretty PS "taterific" decals influences the taste of the liquid inside the bottle.  I swear... these douchebags running these local Facebook groups must be making money under the table with their tater methods of hyping up their own picks...

Edited by Kepler
typo
  • I like it 3

On 2/15/2021 at 4:10 PM, PaulO said:

Good business people don't sit on inventory an unusual amount of time.   Treat the customers right. 

Bingo!!

25 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I swear... these douchebags running these local Facebook groups must be making money under the table with their tater methods of hyping up their own picks...

Would explain a lot. If not cash, then at least  first pick on allocateds. 🤔

Cheers

Edited by Wedelstaedt
Clarification

4 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Cheers

The quid pro quo on that keeps going and going.  I have often wondered how some of these groups land on what they hype and what they don't, certainly is a (crooked) theory.   I have always thought taste buds were not involved........

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

9 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Cheers

4 hours ago, geclbxf said:

The quid pro quo on that keeps going and going.  I have often wondered how some of these groups land on what they hype and what they don't, certainly is a (crooked) theory.   I have always thought taste buds were not involved........

these douchebags running these local Facebook groups must be making money under the table with their tater methods of hyping up their own picks...

These groups are a large reason why things are so screwed up. I accidentally stumbled on one while looking for something. This one was large and well organized. They had info on products and delivery dates, and even had “scouts” that visited stores and/or followed delivery trucks in their down time, or on their days off. There were precise reports as to what and where certain products were delivered. Their AOO was far reaching. The group I found was in Chicago. I  live 65-70 miles from Chicago, and they had at least one person checking out some stores in and around my area. They also had members checking out the Chicago Burbs and other outlying areas. 

There are many lurkers here. There are also folks who are members here that never post. All you need to do is browse the online users section here to see what I mean. A couple of days ago, I checked the online users area. There were a dozen or more times the number of  “guests” on the site as there were members. A good number of the threads they were viewing dealt with LE’s and hard to find items. I also saw some members online whose usernames I didn’t recognize. Two of these people had been members here since 2017, and one had been a member since 2015. None of them had ever made a single post. 

The things mentioned above are partly why I went on a bit of a rant in another forum about posting too much specific information about what and where you find things. Like I posted there, it’s okay to try and help out a fellow member, just please do it in private.

Joe

• I like it 10

12 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

These groups are a large reason why things are so screwed up. I accidentally stumbled on one while looking for something. This one was large and well organized. They had info on products and delivery dates, and even had “scouts” that visited stores and/or followed delivery trucks in their down time, or on their days off. There were precise reports as to what and where certain products were delivered. Their AOO was far reaching. The group I found was in Chicago. I  live 65-70 miles from Chicago, and they had at least one person checking out some stores in and around my area. They also had members checking out the Chicago Burbs and other outlying areas. 

There are many lurkers here. There are also folks who are members here that never post. All you need to do is browse the online users section here to see what I mean. A couple of days ago, I checked the online users area. There were a dozen or more times the number of  “guests” on the site as there were members. A good number of the threads they were viewing dealt with LE’s and hard to find items. I also saw some members online whose usernames I didn’t recognize. Two of these people had been members here since 2017, and one had been a member since 2015. None of them had ever made a single post. 

The things mentioned above are partly why I went on a bit of a rant in another forum about posting too much specific information about what and where you find things. Like I posted there, it’s okay to try and help out a fellow member, just please do it in private.

Joe

This is good investigating right here, Magnum...

Happily the sincere folks are the ones that make up my reason for being around. I'm sure all here have been to enough forums in their time to recognize a majority of BS posters. Personally this and only 2 other forums have I given credit to for sincere and informative camaraderie for the most part. Hopefully the bad can take a hint and move on; if not, they can have this bit of wisdom: to quote the infamous Bufford T. Justice, "Does FO means anything to ya?"...

• I like it 1

Unfortunately, yes, you should never post information about where to find anything desirable in a public forum anymore. This place is great because there is actual informed discussion of the merits of given bourbons (beyond the hype) and real camaraderie (my impression, but I'm fairly confident). Most places the signal to noise ratio is not very good, but here it is. It is a tough line to perfect, keeping out the people who just want to use the collective knowledge without giving anything back and being welcoming to those new users who have good motivations and will become valued members of the community. Like any other hobby, the best thing about a whiskey forum or group is sharing your hobby with other like minded people. I have more fun splitting a bottle of Maker's Mark with a couple people I like than drinking some allocated bourbon at home by myself.

• I like it 5

In the last week, I’ve passed on some bottles of McKenna 10 yr. at a couple different stores.  They were at (or near, I really don’t know) what I think is MSRP, but still am finding it difficult to pull the trigger at the higher price point since HH bumped it a couple years back.  But, I’ll probably relent and grab one next time, just to see how it is these days...  🤪

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

In the last week, I’ve passed on some bottles of McKenna 10 yr. at a couple different stores.  They were at (or near, I really don’t know) what I think is MSRP, but still am finding it difficult to pull the trigger at the higher price point since HH bumped it a couple years back.  But, I’ll probably relent and grab one next time, just to see how it is these days...  🤪

Curiosity seems to get the best of us.   I wouldn't like it but I would probably pay up to $40 to try a current McK10.  I used to enjoy it when I could find it but I haven't seen one on the shelf in several years in Indy.  

Passed on WT101 for $42, didn't agree with me when I had a pour last week, plus I don't have any more room for handles lol.

A Weller with a green label with no price. Asked at counter - $299. Even if my wife wasn’t with me, I would have passed. 

1 hour ago, Kjbarth said:

A Weller with a green label with no price. Asked at counter - $299. Even if my wife wasn’t with me, I would have passed. 

Ouch! That’s some serious gouging right there. That price is over 10 X msrp. 🤬

On 2/28/2021 at 2:17 AM, Kepler said:

Passed on multiple private picks of Balcones malt whiskeys.  I find most of their stuff to taste like sh!t and no amount of pretty PS "taterific" decals influences the taste of the liquid inside the bottle.  I swear... these douchebags running these local Facebook groups must be making money under the table with their tater methods of hyping up their own picks...

There are two myths that somehow manage to persist on Facebook - in spite of a preponderance of evidence to the contrary.

1.)  Many craft breweries make good beer.  That means craft distillers have to make good whiskey too.

2.)  Small barrels work as well as full size 53 gallon barrels.  Small barrels are so good, the whiskey only needs to age a very short time!  🐮💩💩💩

• I like it 2

On 2/28/2021 at 2:17 AM, Kepler said:

Speaking of Balcones, is there any current news on Chip Tate and his operation(s) floating around?  Outside of the early reports on the still building and brandy distilling, I haven’t heard much.  

I'll revise my post.

To people on Facebook - buy tons of craft whiskey, buy nothing but craft whiskey.

Stay away from all the stuff I like. 🤣

I just keeping passing and passing.  I haven't bought a single bottle of bourbon since the Makers 101 I got in early December.  This is quite a drought for me.  Whenever I go i all i see either 1) stuff that holds no interest for me (like the Balcones previously mentioned), 2) staples that I'm already stocked up on (I like WT101 a lot but a fella only needs so many bottles at one time), or 3) ridiculous pricing.  I'm not trying to go on a no buying streak but damn it's starting to seem like it.  I just need to follow smokinjoe around and grab one of those Henry McKenna's if the price isn't stupid. 

• I like it 3

I get what you're saying BigRich.  We had a store open locally that claimed to carry everything available.  It turns out, only a rather small portion of what's available is something I might buy.  I see the same thing at many retailers - shelves packed with young sourced product or "crafts".  Two years old and $40 is a joke.  Man, there is so much of this stuff in the system.  I wouldn't be surprised if there is a big shake up eventually.  I mean, it's everywhere.  Is anyone buying it, or making repeat purchases.

19 hours ago, BigRich said:

I just keeping passing and passing.  I haven't bought a single bottle of bourbon since the Makers 101 I got in early December.  This is quite a drought for me.  Whenever I go i all i see either 1) stuff that holds no interest for me (like the Balcones previously mentioned), 2) staples that I'm already stocked up on (I like WT101 a lot but a fella only needs so many bottles at one time), or 3) ridiculous pricing.  I'm not trying to go on a no buying streak but damn it's starting to seem like it.  I just need to follow smokinjoe around and grab one of those Henry McKenna's if the price isn't stupid. 

I'm right there with you.  My last purchase was the week before Christmas.   At this point I may see how long I can keep the streak going...

Smooth Ambler Old Scout Straight Bourbon (store picks)   $49 $42 I believe -- never tried or heard of good reviews.

Eagle Rare- $46 

BT -- just never impressed me vs my daily drinkers.

many others like Barrel Dovetail which was hard at $74

Ohhh seen a RHF- $750, Lot B for $2900

On 3/1/2021 at 6:21 PM, smokinjoe said:

Speaking of Balcones, is there any current news on Chip Tate and his operation(s) floating around?  Outside of the early reports on the still building and brandy distilling, I haven’t heard much.  

Sorry, no clue

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.