What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Winter 2020-2021)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

12 hours ago, Cajuin said:

Smooth Ambler Old Scout Straight Bourbon (store picks)   $49 $42 I believe -- never tried or heard of good reviews.

These recent releases are 5yo MGP at barrel proof.  The one I had (a K&L pick) was outstanding.  Well worth the $50 price, IMO.  Needless to say, I bought a couple more.

• I like it 2

Passed HMcK10, Stagg Jr., and Blanton’s in the last week. All reasonably priced. However, after my whiskey spending spree over the holidays (how’s it already March by the way, feels like it was just Christmas?), I’ve been trying to get back in the zen mindset and keep my purchases to a minimum (I’ve only failed at that a few times now 🤷‍♂️) while I finish off some opens to clear more shelf space.

However, I have my eye on a 1L WT101 that should do the trick for keeping my costs down and my satisfaction up in the meantime.

• I like it 2

Here in S.E. Fl I'm not getting the impression that I'm going to come across a reasonably priced (and available) bottle of the higher in demand bourbons. After the two large chains (ABC and Total Wines),  I'm left with the "independent"  retailers; who will unabashedly charge $200 for Bookers.

Funny enough I was in a drugstore today and wandered into their Liquor store.  I was shocked to see 2020 Bookers on the shelf, but they wanted $99.95

Still wondering If I should save the GPS coordinates, in case I want to double back for a bottle.  As there's a real gap in my area, for anything that retails for over $75

ECBP for $80.00 was an easy pass.  

No, I don't know which release, because it was behind the counter and I didn't bother to ask after I heard the price.

Passed on an AE rye, for $90.00, at the same LS.

• I like it 1

On 3/4/2021 at 7:28 PM, LGC said:

Here in S.E. Fl I'm not getting the impression that I'm going to come across a reasonably priced (and available) bottle of the higher in demand bourbons. After the two large chains (ABC and Total Wines),  I'm left with the "independent"  retailers; who will unabashedly charge $200 for Bookers.

Funny enough I was in a drugstore today and wandered into their Liquor store.  I was shocked to see 2020 Bookers on the shelf, but they wanted $99.95

Still wondering If I should save the GPS coordinates, in case I want to double back for a bottle.  As there's a real gap in my area, for anything that retails for over $75

For $95 I wouldn’t double back but that’s just me.

On 3/4/2021 at 7:28 PM, LGC said:

No. Save the money for Knob Creek 9/12/15.

• I like it 1

Since this continues to be mentioned (not in a good way) I've passed on Smooth Ambler Big Level in two stores recently.  In both cases, it was if the store just got it.  That's odd given this was released a couple years ago.  I didn't think SA was bottling more of this.  The price is still $50+.  🤣

• I like it 1

Got an email that a local spot snagged a Double Eagle Very Rare and would be putting it out in their front case with a price tag of: $12,000. Sheesh.

But, I really can’t fault the pricing.  Even were it priced closer to the MSRP of $2k, whoever ends up with it would presumably be a bourbon fan with a lot of disposable income; so, what’s a couple thousand dollars more to someone with that sort of liquidity and desire to acquire a real unicorn bottle? I’ll be glad to see the store get the revenue, rather than have someone buy it for a few grand less just to flip it... Actually, looking online at prices, I suppose someone still may, but with that much of an upfront investment, and lower potential return, I think the flipping-incentive and likelihood are significantly diminished, and in any event, the lions-share of profit would actually go to the licensed retailer.

Edited by BigSkyDrams
Clarification details, rewording.

17 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Got an email that a local spot snagged a Double Eagle Very Rare and would be putting it out in their front case with a price tag of: $12,000. Sheesh.

But, I really can’t fault the pricing.  Even were it priced closer to the MSRP of $2k, whoever ends up with it would presumably be a bourbon fan with a lot of disposable income; so, what’s a couple thousand dollars more to someone with that sort of liquidity and desire to acquire a real unicorn bottle? I’ll be glad to see the store get the revenue, rather than have someone buy it for a few grand less just to flip it... Actually, looking online at prices, I suppose someone still may, but with that much of an upfront investment, and lower potential return, I think the flipping-incentive and likelihood are significantly diminished, and in any event, the lions-share of profit would actually go to the licensed retailer.

I think it would be hilarious to see that Double Eagle Very Rare dumped into @clearmoon247 apple brandy barrel.

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, mal00768 said:

I think it would be hilarious to see that Double Eagle Very Rare dumped into @clearmoon247 apple brandy barrel.

yeah, but why would he want to ruin his blend?

:ph34r:

• I like it 3

9 minutes ago, 0895 said:

yeah, but why would he want to ruin his blend?

:ph34r:

Ouch. 😬

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

I passed on a Lock Stock & Barrel 18 year rye at $230.  Sorry but that's at least $100 more than I paid for my 16 year just a few years ago. Even though I really enjoy that 16 yr and it's like nothing else on my bar.  But they are just jacking the price up because they can. At some point we just have to say "no more" ... so I did.  Screw em.

• I like it 5

10 hours ago, Kepler said:

But they are just jacking the price up because they can. At some point we just have to say "no more" ... so I did.  Screw em.

Kinda how I felt about KY owl rye batch 4.  The price was stupid on batch 2 and 3 already (but I really liked 3 so convinced myself to splurge once),  but then 4 ("The final batch") came out at $100 more for the addition of a cardboard tube.

No matter how I twisted it in my brain, how bad I wanted to try a pour, I ultimately decided that I was NOT paying $100 for a cardboard tube and that was that.

At least some other people in town bought most of them up so they don't taunt me from shelves anymore.

• I like it 2

Just couldn’t pull the trigger. Sorry Sarah. 😢

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.6333ced38c11aafe5a284a83e0bfeeef.jpeg

9 hours ago, PaulO said:

I'm guessing it isn't very old, or MGP just isn't your thing.

I don’t have a problem with MGP. l liked SAOS 5 or 6 years ago when it was presumably older distillate in  many of their bottlings. The last one I had was a year or so ago, and it was  just okay. But it was $20.00 cheaper.  😏

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

New to the boards, but up here in N Fl. anything BT is crazy expensive. BT when available sells for $40+, ERthe local stores are asking $65+, was able to snag one at Publix for $32. Blanton's if you can find it commands $130+. No Weller , EHT to be found anywhere. 

Edited by Edd

12 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Just couldn’t pull the trigger. Sorry Sarah.

Those SAOS 5yr barrel proof MGP single barrels can be outstanding.  I had a K&L store pick that was delicious.  Well worth the $50 price, IMO.  To my palate, way better than the 4 yr single barrel New Riff that I had for the same price.  I think my palate just aligns with the MGP profile. 

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Edd said:

New to the boards, but up here in N Fl. anything BT is crazy expensive. BT when available sells for $40+, ERthe local stores are asking $65+, was able to snag one at Publix for $32. Blanton's if you can find it commands $130+. No Weller , EHT to be found anywhere. 

One thing I've learned here is how much price and availability can vary between states.

I pass regular BT all the time at just above $20.  All those other brands vanished a few years ago.

If you really like standard BT, the new versions of Benchmark are quite similar to me (maybe a bit younger).

Beam delivery today at my new favorite liquor store.  Passed on the two 9’s and bought the 12 in the middle. 
8DA0A6E5-B6FA-4C08-A922-A70DA65521A8.thumb.jpeg.f6a5d3f5821a1a57bd2d9d18d344d491.jpeg

• I like it 5

4 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

Beam delivery today at my new favorite liquor store.  Passed on the two 9’s and bought the 12 in the middle. 
8DA0A6E5-B6FA-4C08-A922-A70DA65521A8.thumb.jpeg.f6a5d3f5821a1a57bd2d9d18d344d491.jpeg

That is a damn good price on the 12 year. 

• I like it 1

Passed on a Woodinville BP store pick bourbon today.  I was tempted but I decided to wait until I see a store pick from a better source.  Historically not a fan of this store's picks.  I'm a patient man.  Have plenty of good whiskey to keep me happy in the interim.

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

3 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

That is a damn good price on the 12 year. 

2 minutes ago, parksmart said:

Hellaciously good price on the KC12!

Yeah but the bin tag says KC Rye so I suspect that wasn't the actual price for the 12.

• I like it 1

26 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Yeah but the bin tag says KC Rye so I suspect that wasn't the actual price for the 12.

Good eye, Sleuth Kepler. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.