Empty Bottle(s) Support Group — 2021

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 hours ago, dwg13013 said:

Tonight I will finish my first foray into Early Times BIB.

As a test, the last sample is in the freezer,  for my first try at that.  

Make sure to update!!! I'm needing a new freezer specimen...

• I like it 1

This will be sorely missed. Only 1 bottle left and it was picked up 3 years or so ago. 

A Freezer OWA... 😢

20210515_155726.thumb.jpg.011a1fc1794567dfefd0203547570f54.jpg

• I like it 5

7 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Make sure to update!!! I'm needing a new freezer specimen...

I am not a good judge.

The flavor I liked is not as evident.

I did like it frozen, but not enough to repeat it. 

It is interesting the heat of the proof, and the cold of the liquid.

I froze it in the glass, so as I started the glass was frozen also. I used cling wrap to seal off the glass. 

Overall, I think it is a candidate for you, but may be enough to kill my frozen curiosity.  

• I like it 2

On 5/12/2021 at 6:15 PM, fosmith said:

The other end of the "proof ladder".  Chapter 3, the only bourbon in the series.  I have to say, this was a bit of a let down.  Given all the hype for this one, I expected more.  It wasn't bad.  In fact, it was very good with lots of complexity.  But, it seemed to lack the depth of flavor you get from ECBP, Stagg Jr. or even Booker's.  I thought it would open up over time but it never really did.  I'm glad I only paid $80 for it.  I'd say it's worth that but not much more...

little book ch3.jpg

I fully agree with your assessment Fosmith.  In fact I'm having some right now.  Yes it has complexity on the palate (nice variety of different flavors coming through) but the finish is very off-balanced and confusing. I'm left with a burn and not much lasting flavor on the finish. 

I wonder if this whiskey might have been better if released at a lower proof??  [Sorry, but when I pay $90 or more for a bottle I should  not have to conduct my own lab experiments adding the correct amount of water in order to arrive at the proper flavor!!  That's what I pay the producer to do for me.]

Sometimes I think perhaps due to the "proof-snobbery" of new bourbon drinkers that producers are pressured into releasing all their premium & "limited edition" offerings at barrel proof just to satisfy a certain segment of buyers that can be quite influential online with their social media opinions?  Just a theory, that's all...

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

I fully agree with your assessment Fosmith.  In fact I'm having some right now.  Yes it has complexity on the palate (nice variety of different flavors coming through) but the finish is very off-balanced and confusing. I'm left with a burn and not much lasting flavor on the finish. 

I wonder if this whiskey might have been better if released at a lower proof??  [Sorry, but when I pay $90 or more for a bottle I should  not have to conduct my own lab experiments adding the correct amount of water in order to arrive at the proper flavor!!  That's what I pay the producer to do for me.]

Sometimes I think perhaps due to the "proof-snobbery" of new bourbon drinkers that producers are pressured into releasing all their premium & "limited edition" offerings at barrel proof just to satisfy a certain segment of buyers that can be quite influential online with their social media opinions?  Just a theory, that's all...

I'm going to deviate from this position because I like the flexibility to add water as I like to find the right proof. I say this because once I get higher than 110 what my palate wants is different every night. If Stagg came out at a predetermined proof for example, I'd be disappointed. 

I agree that proof snobbery is a thing and distilleries are releasing more of them for that reason. That proof snobbery leads some to conclude that if a whiskey is released at barrel proof then no water should be added because "that's how the master distiller intended it." Ask the master distiller and they will say no, we just want to give people flexibility.

Then a whiskey like WTMK17BIB comes along and I wonder how it would taste a barrel proof but it doesn't really matter because it's so perfect at 100.

Then there's the discussion we've been having about MM101 and how for me that's a perfect proof for MM.

So I guess I want to have my cake and eat it too.

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, flahute said:

Then a whiskey like WTMK17BIB comes along and I wonder how it would taste a barrel proof but it doesn't really matter because it's so perfect at 100.

^^^This ^^^

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, flahute said:

I'm going to deviate from this position because I like the flexibility to add water as I like to find the right proof. I say this because once I get higher than 110 what my palate wants is different every night. If Stagg came out at a predetermined proof for example, I'd be disappointed. 

I agree that proof snobbery is a thing and distilleries are releasing more of them for that reason. That proof snobbery leads some to conclude that if a whiskey is released at barrel proof then no water should be added because "that's how the master distiller intended it." Ask the master distiller and they will say no, we just want to give people flexibility.

Then there's the discussion we've been having about MM101 and how for me that's a perfect proof for MM.

So I guess I want to have my cake and eat it too.

It would be fun, if for example, there was such a thing as both. Maybe call it a committee release or something like Ardbeg does.

The general release would be at what the master distiller considers the best proof and the committee release is at barrel proof. Of course such a thing would be insane in today’s market. 

Edited by mal00768

A trio heading to the bin. The JWD was surprising good, will def be picking up more of this. The ER was great, as always, which I seem to love to drink while watching baseball. The FR SmB was nice to revisit after not having a bottle for awhile. Will probably pick another up if I can find a good price, or on sale.

IMG_1663.jpg

• I like it 2

4 minutes ago, JakeySnakes said:

The JWD was surprising good,

Agreed! I wish it was sold here in Calif.  I got a bottle from Astor Wines in NYC to round out a shipment of Armagnac.  I don't buy from them often as their tax and shipping charges are too high even when they have a 15% off sale. 

• I like it 3

finally finished one on my fave 4 roses so far

IMG_7321.jpg

IMG_7320.jpg

Edited by steven s
  • I like it 5

Stretched this one out as long as I could.  Sorry to see it go.  I hope Blake Riber does another pick of this.  Less than three years old but it was delicious.  Lots of creamed corn on the nose (100% corn mashbill) with nice cinnamon spice on the palate and a very long finish.  And, I love the back story of this.

For those not familiar with this one, it's made with Jimmy Red corn, an heirloom variety that almost went extinct.  There were only three cobs in existence when someone discovered them and planted the kernels and cultivated it until there was enough to use to make bourbon.  What gives this its unique character is that Jimmy Red corn has a very high oil content which makes for a buttery, lush mouthfeel. 

jimmy red empty.jpg

• I like it 1

A 750 of BT gave up it’s last full pour today. 😐

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

On 5/20/2021 at 7:01 PM, fosmith said:

Stretched this one out as long as I could.  Sorry to see it go.  I hope Blake Riber does another pick of this.  Less than three years old but it was delicious.  Lots of creamed corn on the nose (100% corn mashbill) with nice cinnamon spice on the palate and a very long finish.  And, I love the back story of this.

For those not familiar with this one, it's made with Jimmy Red corn, an heirloom variety that almost went extinct.  There were only three cobs in existence when someone discovered them and planted the kernels and cultivated it until there was enough to use to make bourbon.  What gives this its unique character is that Jimmy Red corn has a very high oil content which makes for a buttery, lush mouthfeel. 

Nice history lesson, here!!!

I came across this or something of the sort with the" Red Corn" and wondered at the time if it was worth it. Kinda funny how this bourbon thing teeters on the out of sight, out of mind motif...

• I like it 1

Two good ones gave their last, but they were finished with my brother and two best friends, so I'd say they had a proper send off.

202105 empties.jpg

• I like it 9

Men down! 😮 Not to worry though…… See The “What Bottle Did You Open?” thread. 😉

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.b91299b92420c29ed682e3c96e925cae.jpeg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, markandrex said:

2ED11E6E-CBCD-4047-A3D0-9B84B5D9C5B4.jpeg

That’s a Big Man’s Pour!  💪

• I like it 1

34 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

That’s a Big Man’s Pour!  💪

Work hard, play harder!

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 3

More like Empty Bottles Celebration Group, as operation kill low-fill has seen progress in the last couple of months.

The single ice cube technique (removing when proof hits the sweet spot) did wonders for the last 3-4 pours of the 1792 Full Proof. The last few pulls from the 4R SmBS were not as strong as the first several. I have a backup ready to go for the MM 101. And, will miss the old packaging for the Benromach, prefer it to the new version.

PXL_20210531_175308094.thumb.jpg.afb8500502204f70b9dd4e5945c8721a.jpg

Edited by dad-proof
typo
  • I like it 2

Barrel # 7112042, selected by K&L Wine Merchants.  113 proof.

Nose: Sweet salt water taffy, caramel and pencil shavings.  Never experienced pencil shavings on the nose of a bourbon before.  Some savory notes.  Incredible nose! 

Palate: Spicy and sweet.  Cinnamon red hots and milk duds.  Nice long spicy finish.  Delicious! 

A stellar pour for $40...

Rebel SiB K&L.jpg

Edited by fosmith
  • I like it 1

Said goodbye to a really nice store pick single barrel of Sazerac Rye today.

It was slightly less sweet than the normal blended bottles of Sazerac, and as such was much more enjoyable to me.

No backup bottle of this, but the memories will be forever fond!

4207D26F-4BE4-4E4D-A28A-6865DF8F03C7.jpeg

• I like it 3

On 6/2/2021 at 4:46 PM, 0895 said:

Said goodbye to a really nice store pick single barrel of Sazerac Rye today.

It was slightly less sweet than the normal blended bottles of Sazerac, and as such was much more enjoyable to me.

No backup bottle of this, but the memories will be forever fond!

4207D26F-4BE4-4E4D-A28A-6865DF8F03C7.jpeg

oh wow - I was not even aware BT did barrel picks on Baby Saz - count me jealous and very happy to hear the memories will linger all at the same time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.