Empty Bottle(s) Support Group — 2021

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

11 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Sadly, the Blanton’s I had open gave up it’s final pour today. It was good to the very last drop. 😋 Thankfully I still have a couple in the bunker which I will be very judicious about opening in the future. When and if I see it locally, stores have it at “tater” prices. Ain’t gonna pay $189.00 for a replacement bottle. 🤬

Also sadly, yet another N bottle top. 😖 Anyone need one? 😜

Biba! Joe

Which "N" - in the turn or full gallop to the finish?????  Inquiring minds want to know!  J/K   🤣

And while we're at it, if anyone needs a top or two to finish off their set, please let me know.  I can send them to you for a swap with your duplicates.  If you don't have any duplicates, that's ok too - just pay it forward some day.  😉

6 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Which "N" - in the turn or full gallop to the finish?????  Inquiring minds want to know!  J/K   🤣

And while we're at it, if anyone needs a top or two to finish off their set, please let me know.  I can send them to you for a swap with your duplicates.  If you don't have any duplicates, that's ok too - just pay it forward some day.  😉

It's the second "N", the full gallop at the finish. The other Blanton's top I have is also the second "N". 😐 

1 minute ago, fishnbowljoe said:

It's the second "N", the full gallop at the finish. The other Blanton's top I have is also the second "N". 😐 

Oh, so sorry!   😆

Drained my cocktail bourbon tonight. Think I’ll replace with a 4RYL handle.

CD97A1C8-507A-4056-9CBE-F424AFA90044.thumb.jpeg.ded39748cec5509fb6f18b35068945e7.jpeg

• I like it 1

Drained this 2011  bottle Thursday. A very tasty bottle. I have had good luck with WTKS. Except for a couple of outliers, the brand has been a winner. 

Cheers. 

IMG_4602.JPG

• I like it 4

While making room in the Liquor cabinet for a few new bottles that have been recently opened, I found a bottle of Benchmark that I am sure was bought while in our first home and transported to our current home, and hasn't been touched since.  It says it was distilled by the Old Benchmark Distilling Company, my guess is it was purchased around 1985-87 as I was going to a lot of  my friends weddings and this was  "house bourbon" in some of those venues.  I liked it enough to have a bottle at home for cocktails, apparently not enough to actually finish it!  I will admit the bottle may have lasted longer then some of the marriages/weddings I attended.  The stay of execution ended last night as it was used to make pre-dinner bourbon smash's for Mrs Richdel and I.

603416523_20210627_1140431.thumb.jpg.15c468ea22620d98d2f9a684946ffe74.jpg

Edited by Richdel
accuracy
  • I like it 4

21 minutes ago, Richdel said:

While making room in the Liquor cabinet for a few new bottles that have been recently opened, I found a bottle of Benchmark that I am sure was bought while in our first home and transported to our current home, and hasn't been touched since.  It says it was distilled by the Old Benchmark Distilling Company, my guess is it was purchased around 1985-87 as I was going to a lot of  my friends weddings and this was  "house bourbon" in some of those venues.  I liked it enough to have a bottle at home for cocktails, apparently not enough to actually finish it!  I will admit the bottle may have lasted longer then some of the marriages/weddings I attended.  The stay of execution ended last night as it was used to make pre-dinner bourbon smash's for Mrs Richdel and I.

603416523_20210627_1140431.thumb.jpg.15c468ea22620d98d2f9a684946ffe74.jpg

FWIW, this looks similar to the bottle/label style that was used when Benchmark was still a Seagram’s product. Saz purchased Benchmark from Seagram’s back in 1989. There’s been at least three bottle/ label variation’s that I’m aware of. Seagram’s Benchmark, Benchmark, and now, McAfee’s Benchmark. 

Biba ! Joe

• I like it 1

At first I was impressed with this bottle compared to my memory of the last one I had over 5-6 years ago.  But by end of the bottle I'm kind of tired of it.  To me WT101 is still better in every way. I paid less than $30 for this one in 2016 so I'm not complaining.  I do have a newer RR10 I bought recently so maybe it's improved since this one was bottled.

20210627_192306.jpg

• I like it 1

17 minutes ago, Kepler said:

At first I was impressed with this bottle compared to my memory of the last one I had over 5-6 years ago.  But by end of the bottle I'm kind of tired of it.  To me WT101 is still better in every way. I paid less than $30 for this one in 2016 so I'm not complaining.  I do have a newer RR10 I bought recently so maybe it's improved since this one was bottled.

20210627_192306.jpg

I understand how for the price RR10 is considered a good bourbon.  Maybe even underrated in some aspects.  However, I have always preferred WT101 at a lower price point, even in the days when it was more astringent.  

5 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I understand how for the price RR10 is considered a good bourbon.  Maybe even underrated in some aspects.  However, I have always preferred WT101 at a lower price point, even in the days when it was more astringent.  

Right.  You put it well. 

41 minutes ago, Kepler said:

20210627_192306.jpg

22 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

16 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Right.  You put it well. 

^^^ Those would be my opinions, as well.  

• I like it 2

On 6/27/2021 at 9:01 PM, Kepler said:

20210627_192306.jpg

I agree,  RR is compromised by the lower proof.   Turkey is meant for 101.  It's just the way it is!

• I like it 1

Making some shelf space for an anticipated glut of new openings in a few weeks when my cousin visits. 

the Cardinal 5yr MGP was good enough that I am happy to have tried it, but probably won’t return for more. 

9FCF18A2-1727-43F5-88CA-3C1A43E2431B.jpeg

• I like it 1

Freezer space is at a premium up here in Michigan so I dumped into 2x 375ml bottles in advance. 

ECA41915-6E26-42CF-84A8-9C0C28EA8B3D.jpeg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Freezer space is at a premium up here in Michigan so I dumped into 2x 375ml bottles in advance. 

Those look like they might be old WB Saffel bottles??   I reuse them for that too, they make great small decanters.

40 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Those look like they might be old WB Saffel bottles??   I reuse them for that too, they make great small decanters.

Great eye! And close, but the angle is severe so full marks IMO. Left is indeed WB Saffell. Right I believe is BT White Dog. The Saffell has a heavier base similar to Widow Jane bottles while the BT has a bit wider shoulders. 

3 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Great eye! And close, but the angle is severe so full marks IMO. Left is indeed WB Saffell. Right I believe is BT White Dog. The Saffell has a heavier base similar to Widow Jane bottles while the BT has a bit wider shoulders. 

Oh I see it now, the bottle on the right looks wider than the Saffel on the left. Those BT WD bottles look like they would also be perfect for decanting.  They are like ginormous boston round sample bottles, Lol. What can I say, I'm a geek.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

We do what we need to do!

• I like it 1

Said goodbye this week to a Leopold Brothers 4-year  straight bourbon.   Special thanks to my bottle of Ancient Ancient Age 10-Star,  which I had to blend into the Leopold Bros. in order to finish it.   

I finished off a few low fill bottles the last week or so. 🤨 Not pictured is a Well FP private selection that I had in a decanter. Happy 4th everyone! 😁

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.fbcbaf3b62d6b31874aaaef8b36c2c33.jpeg

• I like it 5

On 7/2/2021 at 10:44 PM, Kepler said:

What can I say, I'm a geek.

Guilty over here as well. 

I've gone so far as to have a strong preference into which empties I clean up and keep!  WB Saffell is by far my favorite that I have found in the 375ml size.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.