Empty Bottle(s) Support Group — 2021

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

32 minutes ago, geclbxf said:

oh wow - I was not even aware BT did barrel picks on Baby Saz - count me jealous and very happy to hear the memories will linger all at the same time.

Many years ago after I first got in to bourbon back in 2008, I bought two private selection bottles from a store near me. Those selections were Weller 12, and Baby Saz. While I have seen a few Weller 12 private picks since, I’ve never seen a Baby Saz pic again. For some reason, the Baby Saz lingered on the shelf, so I ended up buying a few bottles over time.  I liked it because it was fairly sweet and tasted very bourbony. In all honesty, this probably wasn’t a good bottle for a first rye. My expectations after having the Baby Saz were pretty high. This is more than likely one of the reasons why I don’t care much for ryes. 😐

Biba! Joe

1 hour ago, geclbxf said:

oh wow - I was not even aware BT did barrel picks on Baby Saz - count me jealous and very happy to hear the memories will linger all at the same time.

The last thing I heard, the store picks for Saz are in Louisiana only.

Hopefully that changes someday, but regular bottles of Sazerac rye are still “lottery” / highly allocated here in town. 🤨👎

4 hours ago, 0895 said:

The last thing I heard, the store picks for Saz are in Louisiana only.

Hopefully that changes someday, but regular bottles of Sazerac rye are still “lottery” / highly allocated here in town. 🤨👎

They just started in Texas. I know of a few stores that have done their picks already.

• I like it 2

On 6/4/2021 at 12:27 PM, LCWoody said:

They just started in Texas. I know of a few stores that have done their picks already.

Well that is good news!   Here in Ohio baby saz last minutes after the delivery arrives.   Hopefully the baby saz picks in other states are a sign of increased production.   Great news - another reason this forum is so awesome - fast history lessons.

PS - is this barton juice?   Like the EHT rye?   Or BT juice?   Have always wondered as this is one of my favs.

I decided to pare down the number of empty bottles I had in my basement. I took approximately 60 differently shaped and sized bottles to the recycle center yesterday. I kept the bottles that could be more easily cut for use as candles or in lighting. I also kept a few bottles for sentimental reasons. FWIW, and as I’ve said before, not all my empties were ones that I finished off. I had help from a number of different folks. Just sayin’. 😉

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, geclbxf said:

Well that is good news!   Here in Ohio baby saz last minutes after the delivery arrives.   Hopefully the baby saz picks in other states are a sign of increased production.   Great news - another reason this forum is so awesome - fast history lessons.

PS - is this barton juice?   Like the EHT rye?   Or BT juice?   Have always wondered as this is one of my favs.

It is BT distillate.

I'm slaying bottles tonight.  Finished a McKenna 10 with a Manhattan earlier and ended this one with a peach mint smash for my mom.  I was getting this for 50 buck OTD during lockdown so I've got a few bottles in reserve.   There's some good rye whiskey out there right now.IMG_7381.thumb.jpg.d1877718869c40dfce0c88fd59cfc148.jpg

• I like it 5

These 2 bottles took a loooooong time to finish. I opened these bottles the day I bought them, (2010 or 2011 maybe?) thinking that if they were good I would go back and get some more. I never went back…. Not that they were very bad, (maybe just bad), just did not meet any expectations I had for them. I don’t think I ever poured a glass of either bottle after the 1st glass. I would just sip out the bottles every now and then. 
50CCA835-405B-46FA-B4A3-36BA3EB989C8.thumb.jpeg.9c39921293097a7e9de2b57e57e49f16.jpeg

Polished off a bottle of Weller 12 after a long and extremely hot day at work today. Did want something too high proof since I was trying to cool down and it just completely hit the spot. While it does seem to have lost the "special" bourbon label in my mind over the years, it is still a very solid pour and always a treat when it can be found at MSRP. Cheers!

• I like it 2

Since Monday, 3 more bottles have been emptied from the cabinet. Stopping short of making me seem like I have a problem, they were all almost empty. Last night, a bottle of WT Rare Bread was drained. Tonight, it was time for OF Sig 100 and ECBP A121 to run dry into the glass and in my belly. I swear these bottles had VERY little left in them and I do not have a problem!!😊

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, elmossle said:

Since Monday, 3 more bottles have been emptied from the cabinet. Stopping short of making me seem like I have a problem, they were all almost empty. Last night, a bottle of WT Rare Bread was drained. Tonight, it was time for OF Sig 100 and ECBP A121 to run dry into the glass and in my belly. I swear these bottles had VERY little left in them and I do not have a problem!!😊

Sure, brother, whatever you say!  But you know you're NOT alone in this . . . .   🤣

• I like it 1

Three more for the bin. Glad I have a 750ml backup of the BT SBS. The EC SBS was a pretty good pick too at almost 10yrs. The OF 100 was solid of course.

IMG_1789.jpg

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, markandrex said:

BA6CC4D0-6556-4E7B-A821-88041B1E7BF9.jpeg

I appreciate the whole "i'm not screwing around" feel from that pour. 

• I like it 5

Polished off the WT101. Figuring why bother cleaning it? Now I’ll have a BA cocktail finished in WT101

Looking forward to my first of the new bottle design. 

CB2C22AE-E03F-4B29-A5F3-047386888BB2.jpeg

• I like it 3

You can add a bottle of Old Fitz BIB 9year to the list of bottle kills this week. If I'm not mistaken, that is a total of 5 bottles down and out this week! Time to bring so reinforcements from the basement and start posting in the "What was Opened" thread!

• I like it 3

Polished off my first bottle of the new-style EW 1783 tonight. It won't be my last. Silly good for $16...

• I like it 1

On 6/14/2021 at 11:38 PM, B3Nut said:

Polished off my first bottle of the new-style EW 1783 tonight. It won't be my last. Silly good for $16...

Well, that's good enough for me. I will be on the prowl.

Pat

Good to know that I can go to any store in town and replace this bottle for $16.99 or less and be completely satisfied.570979D7-31E9-4D18-A360-BB974C18E1E0.thumb.jpeg.1f46e3a7d66bd0b2ab5ae5fbdac22811.jpeg

• I like it 5

My son and his family came to visit for a week recently.  We poured from several already opened bottles and opened several, but these two from deep in the bunker were the only two we opened and finished during their stay.  The 4R is from the same barrel as my first 4RSiB back in '08 or '09.  I'm glad I went back to the store and got another one oh so long ago.

The other is an ER barrel selection from a Wine World in the FL panhandle from '14 or '15.  I wish I had a dozen and a before pic - some of the darkest juice in my stash.

0621211751a.jpg

Edited by dean_martin
Corrected store name
  • I like it 4

On 6/11/2021 at 10:06 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

Polished off the WT101. Figuring why bother cleaning it? Now I’ll have a BA cocktail finished in WT101

CB2C22AE-E03F-4B29-A5F3-047386888BB2.jpeg

There's a lot of smart bourbony people here. But you sir, are brilliant.

• I like it 1

Sadly, the Blanton’s I had open gave up it’s final pour today. It was good to the very last drop. 😋 Thankfully I still have a couple in the bunker which I will be very judicious about opening in the future. When and if I see it locally, stores have it at “tater” prices. Ain’t gonna pay $189.00 for a replacement bottle. 🤬

Also sadly, yet another N bottle top. 😖 Anyone need one? 😜

Biba! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.