Empty Bottle(s) Support Group — 2021

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

43 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

This is not the way I wanted to post a picture of this bottle. This was the 1st barrel pick of 4R’s (OBSK) that I helped pick for a local store. I was getting it off a top shelf in the laundry room, and set it on the dryer and watched it slid off. I’m a dumb ass..... This is the kicker, I was giving it to a friend. So I went back and grabbed the last bottle I have 😢.  I gave it to them yesterday and told them I have a story behind that bottle, but I would tell them later because I new they wouldn’t take it if I told them what happened. 
B9357126-AF40-4CF0-97E4-83613CA800ED.thumb.jpeg.7dce11ca8fcee57448003f4646850e60.jpeg

Yikes - Major bummer

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, LCWoody said:

This is not the way I wanted to post a picture of this bottle. This was the 1st barrel pick of 4R’s (OBSK) that I helped pick for a local store. I was getting it off a top shelf in the laundry room, and set it on the dryer and watched it slid off. I’m a dumb ass..... This is the kicker, I was giving it to a friend. So I went back and grabbed the last bottle I have 😢.  I gave it to them yesterday and told them I have a story behind that bottle, but I would tell them later because I new they wouldn’t take it if I told them what happened. 
B9357126-AF40-4CF0-97E4-83613CA800ED.thumb.jpeg.7dce11ca8fcee57448003f4646850e60.jpeg

It happens to the best of us...

It happens to the best of us...

• I like it 1

image.png.73380993d7e4e84c6abdcd99761ff1a3.png

• I like it 6

5 hours ago, LCWoody said:

If it was me, I'd blame it on Ida!  Makes a much better story and you don't have to make any admissions of being a klutz!  JMHO   😂

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, GeeTen said:

If it was me, I'd blame it on Ida!  Makes a much better story and you don't have to make any admissions of being a klutz!  JMHO   😂

You older, wiser fellas on this site is one of the reasons I love straightbourbon.com so much. I will put that one in my memory bank. 

• I like it 3

This 7yr 3mo barrel was stellar!  Better than I remember the small batch being.  Glad I have a backup. 

Baker's SiB empty.jpg

• I like it 7

Sorry to see this one go so quickly.  I've been lucky with my last 2 Single Barrel bottles of CEHT - both have been excellent - about as good as they could be.  I suppose that's why I've been reaching for them instead of more "highly rated" LE bottles.

IMG_3830.jpg

• I like it 6

This one got better with air but I still grew tired of it at the end. I have a sealed one still that the friend who helped pick the barrel gave to me. 🤷‍♂️

OESQ 9 yr, 10 mo. Very floral.

20210907_210514.jpg

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 5

Here's the latest rogue's gallery of spent soldiers in my home.  I enjoyed each of these bottles; no disappointments at all.  All of them were repeats of previous bottles I've had, with the exception of the Stellum, which was a new one for me.  For those of you unfamiliar with that one, it's a new product line from Barrell Craft Spirits.  Unlike the regular Barrell releases, this one is designed to have a consistent presentation with each year's release.  It's around 115 proof and NAS.  Retail on it runs between $50 and $55 everyplace I have seen it so far.  I think the price is fair for what's in the bottle, and I have already picked up a replacement bottle.  It smells and tastes like...bourbon.  Good bourbon.

Empty Bottles 081321.jpg

• I like it 6

Blanton’s bottles seem to be hit or miss for me but it’s always a good bottle to have with company as people seem to enjoy it. Had some friends over the other week and we did some damage to it. Figure I’d go with a bottle kill while watching the Rams season opener.  

6EE50B0E-588A-4B29-9037-653D394C4E7F.jpeg

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, apt43bear said:

Blanton’s bottles seem to be hit or miss for me but it’s always a good bottle to have with company as people seem to enjoy it. Had some friends over the other week and we did some damage to it. Figure I’d go with a bottle kill while watching the Rams season opener.  

What letter is the bottle top? 😉

Biba! Joe

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

What letter is the bottle top? 😉

Biba! Joe

This one was an "O."  So far I got the first N, T, O, and S.  I'm still a long way to completing the set haha.

• I like it 1

Saying goodbye to a few bottles this weekend.  

Decanted half a bottle of a RRSiB pick from Warehouse H into my Saffell bottle.  These don't stay open long; premium turkey for me please, until the bottle runs dry. 

Decanted another handle of WT101 into a 2002 bottle and turkey-fan bottle also.  This remains the house daily pour.  Gimme somma that Gobble!!   

Finishing one of the now disco'ed Ezra Brooks 7 Year 101 proof.  Grabbed a couple a few years ago; it never impressed me like some of the other HH cats and dogs do.  Last bottle in existence down in my bunker right now!  

Finished off another bottle of my favorite ER10 SiB pick from about five years ago.  Running low, with only 6 handles left.  ER10 prices have gone absurd in my area; practically a unicorn now so I gots to ration what's left from this pick.  

Prost SB Crew!! 

• I like it 3

Finished a Woodford Reserve Wheat and not planning on replacing it anytime soon,  Its OK but a little light to my palate.  YMMV

• I like it 2

On 9/8/2021 at 7:32 PM, Clueby said:

This one got better with air but I still grew tired of it at the end. I have a sealed one still that the friend who helped pick the barrel gave to me. 🤷‍♂️

OESQ 9 yr, 10 mo. Very floral.

20210907_210514.jpg

I hear ya.  For me, the high proof on these tend to wear on me.  Yes we can absolutely add water to our heart's content, but sometimes I don't want to bother.

I wish more private pickers would go with the 100 proof PS option.  Those are always excellent and imminently drinkable.  But alas the newbie taters just wouldn't go bonkers for it as much as the barrel proofs.

• I like it 2

43 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I hear ya.  For me, the high proof on these tend to wear on me.  Yes we can absolutely add water to our heart's content, but sometimes I don't want to bother.

I wish more private pickers would go with the 100 proof PS option.  Those are always excellent and imminently drinkable.  But alas the newbie taters just wouldn't go bonkers for it as much as the barrel proofs.

I wonder if 4R is even offering that as an option anymore.

I have not seen any of those in a couple years.

🤷🏻‍♂️

3 minutes ago, 0895 said:

🤷🏻‍♂️

Good question.  It's possible they don't even offer it anymore, not sure.  Maybe some of our resident Cult members with industry "connections" can chime in here...

10 hours ago, Kepler said:

10 hours ago, 0895 said:

🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm not sure it was the proof, more the one-dimensionality. It was straight flowers...with almost a funeral home vibe from the heavy floral. It did finally open up and offer some more traditional bourbon sweet notes and a bit of spice on the end. Definitely not worth $75.

I did see a 100p store pick last year. 

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 2

8 minutes ago, Clueby said:

It was straight flowers...with almost a funeral home vibe from the heavy floral. Definitely not worth $75.

this has been my experience with all 4R I’ve tried. Def not in my spectrum…..  Always a easy pass for me. 

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.