What bottle did you open today? ~ 2021

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

23 minutes ago, Swamp55 said:

Opened this bad boy for the Mrs. amd me to celebrate my birthday.  This is my first bottle of this, and I am loving it already.  We were contemplating our first sips, and my wife immediately said "Snickerdoodles!"  As soon as she said it, I got the reference right away.  (One of my favorite cookies!)

WFP.jpg

Nice! And happy birthday!

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Swamp55 said:

Opened this bad boy for the Mrs. amd me to celebrate my birthday.  This is my first bottle of this, and I am loving it already.  We were contemplating our first sips, and my wife immediately said "Snickerdoodles!"  As soon as she said it, I got the reference right away.  (One of my favorite cookies!)

Cheers and Happy Birthday! 🥳

Biba! Joe

14 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Cheers and Happy Birthday! 🥳

Biba! Joe

Hope you had a great B-Day!   I have found the single barrels to be better than the base blend, at least in the 4-5 that I have had.   Such great liquid!

My Woodford Reserve Yery Fine Rare was enjoyed to its very last tonight, so the recruited replacement has to be a good one.   One of my last Turkeytails,  bottled in April 2014 from a barrel stored in warehouse N.  Joe Canal's Liquors thought it was good enough to pick, and here's hoping I agree!

20211118_230205.jpg

• I like it 5

32 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Didn’t open anything tonight. 😕 Soon, very soon. 🤗🤔🤫😬😁

Biba! Joe

It's a fun ritual,  but a bourbon can't be fairly judged, IMO, until it's opened up.  The Turkeytail tastes good, not great,  but I think potential is there.  Creamsicles, but with a twinge of harshness that will go away as I move beyond the neck pour.

Knob Creek SiB K&L 14yo store pick.  So much better than the current 9 - 10yo picks available now...  😞  Old school messy wax though.  Newer bottles don't make a mess anymore. 🙂

KC KL 14yr pick.jpg

• I like it 5

1 minute ago, Kjbarth said:

WT101. And drank 1/2 the bottle today.

B5EB3082-7B9C-4317-974C-6929FF195344.thumb.jpeg.64f4ffde107438b76f2973403f6a4eed.jpeg

Looks like you had good food and good drink.  Sounds like you are having a good time!

1 minute ago, mbroo5880i said:

Looks like you had good food and good drink.  Sounds like you are having a good time!

Yup, yup, yup, and still sipping the 101!

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Open these BIBs and 100+ proof age stated bourbon handles/1.75 sampling rebottling.  

Holy crap thanks to a tip from a fellow SBer picked up the old school handle with a handle FC103 6yr.  Drinking it next to the Dant that’s probably barely a BIB you obviously see the difference.  Tom Moore is quite good.  I’m becoming a Barton fan and $22 for 1.75 is crazy cheap.  

Did a little rebottling of the plastic 1.75s.

C45B8106-C88E-49B0-BCD8-4E1DBAD8FF12.jpeg

1FFE4776-D971-4454-825D-43BB1CA4B978.jpeg

• I like it 7

On 11/24/2021 at 10:14 PM, fosmith said:

Knob Creek SiB K&L 14yo store pick.  So much better than the current 9 - 10yo picks available now...  😞  Old school messy wax though.  Newer bottles don't make a mess anymore. 🙂

KC KL 14yr pick.jpg

I opened a new dimpled bottle pick and the new wax isn't any better.  Eventually had to get a knife to get it open.  

While on the complain train the Beam synthetic corks are also the absolute worst.  Way to big/tight making them both hard to open AND to push back in all the way.  

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

How does it compare to the standard SmB?

It's a lot bolder with more flavor and mouthfeel.  Which we already knew.  But for anything more specific than that I'll need more time with it. 

On 12/5/2021 at 7:40 PM, HoustonNit said:

Open these BIBs and 100+ proof age stated bourbon handles/1.75 sampling rebottling.  

Holy crap thanks to a tip from a fellow SBer picked up the old school handle with a handle FC103 6yr.  Drinking it next to the Dant that’s probably barely a BIB you obviously see the difference.  Tom Moore is quite good.  I’m becoming a Barton fan and $22 for 1.75 is crazy cheap.  

Did a little rebottling of the plastic 1.75s.

C45B8106-C88E-49B0-BCD8-4E1DBAD8FF12.jpeg

1FFE4776-D971-4454-825D-43BB1CA4B978.jpeg

Glad to see there are still some good dusty finds in TX. I don't mind the current bottling of Fighting Cock, but the 6-yr was great. In my dusty hunting days I stumbled across an 8-yr version. Delectable.

Tom Moore BIB was the house pour when we lived in Dallas. I think I was paying $19.99 through 2012 when we moved. Great old-fashioned butterscotch hard candy note in that one.

• I like it 1

On 12/10/2021 at 4:19 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

While on the complain train the Beam synthetic corks are also the absolute worst.  Way to big/tight making them both hard to open AND to push back in all the way.  

I'm with you on this one.  The Knob Creek and Booker's synthetic corks are terrible.  On one bottle, I had to use a pair of channel lock pliers to get the cork out.  They go straight into the trash and I replace them with a cork from another brand, usually Eagle Rare.  A big part of the reason I save corks...

• I like it 4

4 hours ago, fosmith said:

I'm with you on this one.  The Knob Creek and Booker's synthetic corks are terrible.  On one bottle, I had to use a pair of channel lock pliers to get the cork out.  They go straight into the trash and I replace them with a cork from another brand, usually Eagle Rare.  A big part of the reason I save corks...

Yeah, none of my KC corks get put back into the bottle all the way - about half way in is very tight. Good call on the real cork from another brand.

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, fosmith said:

Pro tip right here. I have saved corks as well, but never thought to just always replace these terrible synthetics. Brilliant! 

tonight was a treat. id saved a couple bottles to open for my 50th birthday.

started with a glass of 4RYL, - ER10, which were  allready open. then cracked open- EHTSB and finally JDSBBP.

the latter is fantastic!

IMG20211212234925.jpg

Edited by anthony. g.
  • I like it 8

1 hour ago, anthony. g. said:

tonight was a treat. id saved a couple bottles to open for my 50th birthday.

started with a glass of 4RYL, - ER10, which were  allready open. then cracked open- EHTSB and finally JDSBBP.

the latter is fantastic!

Happy Birthday! 🥳

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

On 12/11/2021 at 10:45 PM, TBoner said:

Glad to see there are still some good dusty finds in TX. I don't mind the current bottling of Fighting Cock, but the 6-yr was great. In my dusty hunting days I stumbled across an 8-yr version. Delectable.

Tom Moore BIB was the house pour when we lived in Dallas. I think I was paying $19.99 through 2012 when we moved. Great old-fashioned butterscotch hard candy note in that one.

Agree

• I like it 1

Cracked open another MM PS, this one is the Spec's store pick "Bill Jr's 46 Cask" with all ten staves being the 46.  I suppose this is exactly the same juice as M46 Cask Strength bottling but I haven't researched it.  Anybody know?

All I know is that if you are a M46 fan you should definitely try it.  M46 on steroids.  Tonight it's tasting delicious.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.