What bottle did you open today? ~ 2021

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 9/8/2021 at 11:39 PM, 0895 said:

Ancient Age 90p?

all over KY.

200ml - 1.75ml

but I’ve never seen it outside KY 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm not sure if Indiana had it in the past, or if I just bought it in Kentucky on a trip.

Anyway, that's good to know.  Put that on my road trip buy list.

Years ago, I read somewhere, 90 proof referred to as - Kentucky proof. 

• I like it 2

Another campfire = another fresh bottle of bourbon.  My first time trying EC Toasted Barrel took place under the stars @ 11,500 ft.  I'm not sure if I like this bottle.  It certainly has a different taste that I've never experienced before - I'm interested to see how it evolves over time.  I reckon I'll be leaving this expression on the shelf for you fellas to grab next time. 

IMG_3833.jpg

• I like it 4

Last spring I purchased a newer 5 year version of SAOS single barrel store pick from a local store.  They offered a free sample in the store and it tasted good so I took a bottle home with me.  I just cracked it tonight.  It has all the nice MGP goodness...  BUT at 58 ABV the youth of the 5 year is apparent and requires some water.  Unlike the 10 year SAOS SiB that I have and cherish -- those never require water.  I'm just saying, if Smooth Ambler happens to have some barrels on hand in their warehouse aging right now (I have no idea), then just wait a few years and they might make a big comeback.

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, Kepler said:

Last spring I purchased a newer 5 year version of SAOS single barrel store pick from a local store.  They offered a free sample in the store and it tasted good so I took a bottle home with me.  I just cracked it tonight.  It has all the nice MGP goodness...  BUT at 58 ABV the youth of the 5 year is apparent and requires some water.  Unlike the 10 year SAOS SiB that I have and cherish -- those never require water.  I'm just saying, if Smooth Ambler happens to have some barrels on hand in their warehouse aging right now (I have no idea), then just wait a few years and they might make a big comeback.

Last year I had a K&L pick 5yr SAOS and it was delicious.  I didn't think it tasted young at all and drank the whole thing neat.  K&L has recently posted a 6yr pick so it seems that SA is aging some stocks which is good news.  I hope they end up releasing some 10yr barrels as I missed out on the glory years of SOAS.

• I like it 5

37 minutes ago, fosmith said:

I hope they end up releasing some 10yr barrels as I missed out on the glory years of SOAS.

Ditto. But they will probably be impossible to find cause of the old timers here building up the hype train. 😛

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, mal00768 said:

Ditto. But they will probably be impossible to find cause of the old timers here building up the hype train. 😛

I have been nursing my bottle of SAOS single barrel aged 10 years from 6/16 (signed by Sarah) in hopes of finding another dusty or SAOS releasing a similarly excellent product.

Have one in the bunker from 2016 signed by "Tori" that is also aged 10 years, I think around 118 proof.  But that bottle that is open is so very good!

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, fosmith said:

Last year I had a K&L pick 5yr SAOS and it was delicious.  I didn't think it tasted young at all and drank the whole thing neat.  K&L has recently posted a 6yr pick so it seems that SA is aging some stocks which is good news.  I hope they end up releasing some 10yr barrels as I missed out on the glory years of SOAS.

Mine is delicious too!  I just find it a tad bit hot unlike the older high proof single barrels.  I'm not sure what to attribute it to other than aging.  But the bottom line is that we have some good things to look forward to from SA hopefully.  I don't even think they need to age to 10  years.  I think these things at 7-8 years will be incredible!

• I like it 1

Just opened this Store pick up picked up yesterday. Hadn’t had it before but it’s 5 year old MGP juice. Lots of brown sugar and molasses notes. Finishes super well at 115 proof. My son says it reminds him of a great barbecue sauce. I have to say it would go great with some ribs!! 

805C618B-5AC0-4293-9B4D-080E0891DDB8.thumb.jpeg.6e1c406740a7131909ae0a46f3b7e7e4.jpeg

• I like it 3

Just opened a bottle of Penelope Barrel Strength.   I have some allergies but this cuts right thru.   Good flavor and a medium length finish.  Glad I bought two .

• I like it 4

Opened up Remus V that I just picked up to sip on during college football watching today. I think this is incredible and am immediately in the market for a backup bottle. 

B73486A0-F44F-4BF0-84FC-57E8332F1367.jpeg

• I like it 8

3 hours ago, apt43bear said:

Opened up Remus V that I just picked up to sip on during college football watching today. I think this is incredible and am immediately in the market for a backup bottle. 

B73486A0-F44F-4BF0-84FC-57E8332F1367.jpeg

Amazing...

What a beautiful collection and display!!  

From the looks of it, we have similar tastes in whiskey.  

Prost!  

• I like it 3

I thought this bottle was perfect to open today to celebrate another Big Saturday in College Football.  College Football Fans deserve to watch traditional rivalry games.

BOOMER!

5928A89B-1C65-4A3A-8271-2B193BA803E6.jpeg

• I like it 7

2 hours ago, Guss West said:

Amazing...

What a beautiful collection and display!!  

From the looks of it, we have similar tastes in whiskey.  

Prost!  

Thanks! 

My whisk(e)y enjoyment is definitely across the board depending on mood and the company at the time. Love my bourbons and ryes, scotches of all regions, Irish, and Japanese bottles. I definitely go through phases but all the different types give me enjoyment. Looking forward to getting through more and more of these bottles as continue to gather.  

• I like it 6

Opened my last bunkered OE7 to celebrate my 7th anniversary. My wife is not a big bourbon fan so...more for me!

IMG_2290.jpg

• I like it 12

Just opened my first Belle Meade Reserve.  Picked this up a while back.  A little heat at 108 proof.   I think I can taste a lot of rye in this.   Had some running around to do today and made a few stops.   picked up a couple Buffalo Traces, a Michters Unblended, a SA Contradiction (on sale for $32) and a Yellowstone LE 101 proof.   

• I like it 2

The past several weekends have seen me carting multiple carloads of boxes of whiskey; as I have finally moved my bunker from the corners of the cellar into a secure storage facility.  Had to finally expense one for work, and so can use any extra space for moi.  There is more than I thought, and I only know about half of what's in those boxes! 

Last weekend was the first time I've had the motive and opportunity to visit my new "away bunker' for a bottle raid.  It was kinda like visiting a free liquor store but having to make my selections from the stockroom.  Fun!!  

Pulled out a few gems for the "home bunker": a Stagg Jr, a Toogie's Invitation, EC PS, BT PS, and a 14 yo KCSB PS.  Figure that's $500 worth of bottles from my new favorite package store.  Stagg Jr getting $250-300 on the secondary now?!  PfffTT!  

I found that raiding the away bunker was nearly as good of a dopamine hit as buying new bottles at the store; a reward-circuit two-fer, if you will.  I approve.  

Prost!  

• I like it 7

14 hours ago, mal00768 said:

Wtf 

Certain batches are fetching more... Seen some Batch 9 for 400, Batch 12 is close to 375 

OF SiB100 with the wife. She flew out to Florida to purchase a new car and stopped by on the way home to see me. It was late in the evening and she was too tired to go out so we had some plastic cup hotel room pours

a little thin, but def packed with flavor. I know it will be better next to around.  

• I like it 1

Sipping a little  '72" bourbon.  80% white corn/20% rye mash bill.  Sweet and a medium finish.   Nice sipper at 80 proof.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.