What bottle did you open today? ~ 2021

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

When Old Heroes fall...

The stars dictate that New Heroes arise to Take their place...

20210426_135557.jpg.e3874dd729780f6d144eb4b6f5449518.jpg

The BT & Jr will probably end up a blend.

Could be the fate of the FAE-01 also, if it doesn't make the grade...

• I like it 8

I only allow myself one pour a year of the dusty RHF so I can make it last.  Then a little shot of gas and back into the cabinet it goes until next Derby day. 

But I want to make this a RHF night, so time to open up a new one from 2015.  I try to keep a record of my purchases and it looks like I picked this one up back in 2016 and felt like I was overpaying at the time... but I'm glad I decided to get it.

20210501_204957.jpg

• I like it 8

16 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I only allow myself one pour a year of the dusty RHF so I can make it last.  Then a little shot of gas and back into the cabinet it goes until next Derby day. 

But I want to make this a RHF night, so time to open up a new one from 2015.  I try to keep a record of my purchases and it looks like I picked this one up back in 2016 and felt like I was overpaying at the time... but I'm glad I decided to get it.

20210501_204957.jpg

Now that's discipline. 

• I like it 3

3 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Now that's discipline. 

Yeah but I didn't start that until after I drank over half the bottle and came to my senses that I can never replace this one haha

• I like it 3

Just now, Kepler said:

Yeah but I didn't start that until after I drank over half the bottle and came to my senses that I can never replace this one haha

Better late than never.  You fixed it and are riding it out.

• I like it 2

In honor of The Kentucky Derby, I opened up a Blanton's.

My last Blanton's opened was in 2017. Neighbor that was too long. 

Problem solved. 

Cheers 

• I like it 2

15 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

In honor of The Kentucky Derby, I opened up a Blanton's.

My last Blanton's opened was in 2017. Neighbor that was too long. 

Problem solved. 

Cheers 

Good decision neighbor 👏 😁

• I like it 1

I've been meaning to open this bottle ever since Steve had this as bourbon of the month.  It's been a few years since I had one open and I have to say, I might have been wrong about this one. At least right now, it's much better than I remember.  Really enjoying this first sip.

20210507_173104.jpg

• I like it 6

Ok new handle of FC6 is opened and transferred to a freezer 750 bottle, my first one of the year.  Into the freezer it goes for later enjoyment!😁🧊

20210508_163215.jpg

• I like it 2

Long day pulling a wagon at the zoo. Kids down. Poked around a bit and found exactly what I was looking for. 

This is quite good, and a great start. Was sitting near the 4R and ECBP sections. Probably will have to head back that way next. . . 

15722FB6-A1B7-4F2F-BA90-95D761FE68FA.jpeg

• I like it 6

My first time ever trying this.

Picked it up back in 2016 I think.

Finally got tired of looking at it, so time to go.

It’s interesting to say the least.

Have to see if it evolves a bit with some air.

75126B12-EB63-4C4A-8DBF-73064B71A8C0.jpeg

• I like it 8

7 hours ago, 0895 said:

An EC "grenade" to go along with a Blanotn's "grenade" or 8!   😉

• I like it 3

13 hours ago, 0895 said:

This is giving me the impression you were not all that impressed here which I find surprising.  I've always found these (which I believe are in the 6-8 year range) to be bright with lots of fruit, drink well below the 125 proof, and be very enjoyable.  

It's a perfect distillery only option and I wish others would take note and do a smaller sized release that they could regularly keep in stock.  Nope I would not pay the $135 or whatever a full bottle works out to, but I will absolutely grab one at $35 every time I am at HH

• I like it 2

Last night was a Rare Breed down and a new one opened right away to replace it. 

Having just been reading the ECBP thread I will admit I would love to see Turkey follow that track with 2-3 batched releases of Rare Breed each year.  I know I would buy every release and multiples in most situations.

• I like it 1

Don’t nobody faint. I went to have a pour of Weller SR, and was slightly surprised that I didn’t have a bottle open. 😮 I opened a handle to rectify the situation. 😉 More than likely, I will decant the handle into a couple of empty Weller SR 750’s. 😁

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

Well, that was easy. 😎

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

• I like it 4

5 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Last night was a Rare Breed down and a new one opened right away to replace it. 

Having just been reading the ECBP thread I will admit I would love to see Turkey follow that track with 2-3 batched releases of Rare Breed each year.  I know I would buy every release and multiples in most situations.

Oh no,  I hear what you're saying but very respectfully disagree - not a good idea.  I for one absolutely love that WT has kept Rare Breed as a consistent and "long term" batched product.  Let's not go down that path with RB.

• I like it 5

7 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

This is giving me the impression you were not all that impressed here which I find surprising.  I've always found these (which I believe are in the 6-8 year range) to be bright with lots of fruit, drink well below the 125 proof, and be very enjoyable.  

It's a perfect distillery only option and I wish others would take note and do a smaller sized release that they could regularly keep in stock.  Nope I would not pay the $135 or whatever a full bottle works out to, but I will absolutely grab one at $35 every time I am at HH

I think I went in expecting ECBP and it's not that at all.

I think your description is pretty spot on.

I will say that it basically tastes like Elijah Craig Full Proof.

Like just a normal shelf bottle of EC, at 125p.

Not bad, I think I was just expecting a bit more.

Been awhile since I had the venerable Mr. Lee over for a drink.  Great to see you sir.

20210513_174842.jpg

• I like it 7

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

Been awhile since I had the venerable Mr. Lee over for a drink.  Great to see you sir.

20210513_174842.jpg

I'm still sitting on a half dozen of these that I bought 7 or so years ago and I'm starting to get the itch.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, flahute said:

I'm still sitting on a half dozen of these that I bought 7 or so years ago and I'm starting to get the itch.

Well?  What are you waiting on?!?  😁

• I like it 3

Could be the fire effect, but this EC Toasted does have this very pleasant marshmallow taste to it. Definitely the winner of the three I purchased today. 

The EC rye was easy drinking and light with the Turkey 101 being bolder and spicier. I lean WT both on overall flavor and value, but would serve the EC to anyone newer to whiskey. 

1DE7EADA-D6D8-4671-8C54-7832B12F550F.jpeg

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, flahute said:

7 hours ago, Kepler said:

Well?  What are you waiting on?!?  😁

Do it.

Similar stash, not nearly as old. I do have one open but rarely reach for it unless I’m pouring for someone else.  I’ll dig it up this weekend for a pour.  

Edited by Bob_Loblaw
  • I like it 3

On 5/11/2021 at 4:12 PM, Kepler said:

Oh no,  I hear what you're saying but very respectfully disagree - not a good idea.  I for one absolutely love that WT has kept Rare Breed as a consistent and "long term" batched product.  Let's not go down that path with RB.

@Kepler, I'm with you 1000% on this. WT Rare Breed has been one of my all time favorites precisely because of the consistency of it. In fact, I'm having some WTRB right now. 

• I like it 7

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.