What bottle did you open today? ~ 2021

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

First impressions...wow! This is some very tasty stuff. Wish I had a backup.

IMG_2082.jpg

• I like it 4

26 minutes ago, JakeySnakes said:

IMG_2082.jpg

I thought the same thing!   Mine is long gone, and missed!

• I like it 3

Just for @DeepCover & @mbroo5880i.

Nose: Apple, cherries, dry aged oak, caramel, baking spices.  Other familiar aged MGP aromas (Looking at you SAOS).

Palate: Lots of cherry and tobacco.  Medium amount of dry oakiness.  Slight caramel.  Lots of spices at the end.

Finish: Medium-Long with lots of baking spices.

This is very good aged MGP, that tastes familiar.  If you missed out on bunkering aged SAOS and you liked those bottles, then definitely pick one up.  If you have a bunch of SAOS hidden in your house, then it’s up to you.  This tastes a lot like those old bottles. 🤷🏻‍♂️
No regrets on the purchase, but I won’t be stockpiling it.

I can’t vividly remember the previous 4 Remus releases, but this seems to be one of the better releases by my memory.

CB1C91E4-AABC-44D7-AC8F-8693BB71AE81.jpeg

• I like it 9

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Just for @DeepCover & @mbroo5880i.

Nose: Apple, cherries, dry aged oak, caramel, baking spices.  Other familiar aged MGP aromas (Looking at you SAOS).

Palate: Lots of cherry and tobacco.  Medium amount of dry oakiness.  Slight caramel.  Lots of spices at the end.

Finish: Medium-Long with lots of baking spices.

This is very good aged MGP, that tastes familiar.  If you missed out on bunkering aged SAOS and you liked those bottles, then definitely pick one up.  If you have a bunch of SAOS hidden in your house, then it’s up to you.  This tastes a lot like those old bottles. 🤷🏻‍♂️
No regrets on the purchase, but I won’t be stockpiling it.

I can’t vividly remember the previous 4 Remus releases, but this seems to be one of the better releases by my memory.

CB1C91E4-AABC-44D7-AC8F-8693BB71AE81.jpeg

Nice informative review.  I have a bottle of release 2 and I would put it the same way as you did regarding classic MGP.  For the life of me, I can't figure out why new joiners will drive all over their tri-state region chasing Smoke Wagon when they can just go to their favorite well-stocked local store and pick up one of these.  I'll stand pat with my cases of SAOS 10yr SiB for $50ish but if I didn't have those then I'd be all over these in today's current bubble market.

38 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I can't figure out why new joiners will drive all over their tri-state region chasing Smoke Wagon when they can just go to their favorite well-stocked local store and pick up one of these.

Cuz it’s not cool if you buy something that’s sitting on the shelf…

Plus the embossing on the SWUC/UF bottle gives it extra grip when holding between the legs for instafacebookagram crotch shots.

• I like it 4

18 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Plus the embossing on the SWUC/UF bottle gives it extra grip when holding between the legs for instafacebookagram crotch shots.

Haha I didn't think of that.

So tonight I cracked open the '16 HW Rendezvous rye that I picked up yesterday.  I've had a 375ml of this '16 before and it was good, but it has been a few years and I couldn't remember everything about it other than I really liked it at the time.  My palate today is much more experienced when it comes to straight Rye whiskey than it was back then, so I am looking forward to exploring this bottle now.

This bottle now... yes I still really like it.  Excellent whiskey.  I'm not knowledgeable about all the details around the various HW mashbills & what-not, but I can definitely detect the MGP signature dill flavor in this pour.  BUT it is quite obviously very well balanced by another (I presume) NON-MGP component that really sets it apart from your average run of the mill MGP rye.   Winner.  From what I gather by some fellow SBers (e.g @GeeTen and others), the newer Rendezvous rye is not like this one anymore.  Which if true, is too bad, because I really like this one.

• I like it 1

Old and new. 

52.3% abv 2021 on the left.

43% abv dusty dickel from 2006 on the right.

I will need to proof down the 2021 SiB in order to do a SBS, but right now, fresh crack out of the bottle the dusty dickel is the better sipper but that could be due to the proof. It's more balanced.

20210807_224042.jpg

• I like it 4

On 7/31/2021 at 9:02 AM, geclbxf said:

I thought the same thing!   Mine is long gone, and missed!

Ditto.    I stocked up on the  Kosher wheated recipe but only  snagged  one rye recipe.   The rye recipe was superb,   and is at this point a long-goner. 

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 1

24 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Old and new. 

I will need to proof down the 2021 SiB in order to do a SBS, but right now, fresh crack out of the bottle the dusty dickel is the better sipper but that could be due to the proof. It's more balanced.

20210807_224042.jpg

The Barrel Select is the hidden secret of the Dickel line.    I replaced the beach crib's bottle of Barrel Select with the new 15-year,  and it's darn tasty stuff.   But the Barrel Select is truly smooth as silk,  the Dickel flavors presented to perfection.   

• I like it 2

5 minutes ago, Jazzhead said:

The Barrel Select is the hidden secret of the Dickel line.    I replaced the beach crib's bottle of Barrel Select with the new 15-year,  and it's darn tasty stuff.   But the Barrel Select is truly smooth as silk,  the Dickel flavors presented to perfection.   

That's good to know.  I've had this old one in my bunker for a long time and I'm shy to admit that I've never actually tried any of the other Barrel Selects.  What I need to do now is go to one my local stores and pick up one of their store picks of the Barrel Select for a better comparison to the 2006.  Or have you ever compared store pick Barrel Selects to regular off-the-shelf Barrel Selects?  A regular shelfie might be just as good or better than a store pick -- depending on the store that picked it of course.

7 hours ago, Kepler said:

That's good to know.  I've had this old one in my bunker for a long time and I'm shy to admit that I've never actually tried any of the other Barrel Selects.  What I need to do now is go to one my local stores and pick up one of their store picks of the Barrel Select for a better comparison to the 2006.  Or have you ever compared store pick Barrel Selects to regular off-the-shelf Barrel Selects?  A regular shelfie might be just as good or better than a store pick -- depending on the store that picked it of course.

I've had both the store-pick Barrel Selects and the "regular" ones,  but I don't recall having both at the same time to do a comparison.   I'm not quite sure how a store pick works with a small-batch presentation.    The new 16-year is oakier than Barrel Select,   but the latter is fully mature,  consisting of  a true small batch of barrels (if I recall correctly, less than a dozen)  at about nine years.     For me,  the Barrel Select represents what Dickel thinks best represents its flavor profile,  at a proof that's perfect for sipping neat.   

If you're brain is Dickeled like mine is,   I recommend the Three Chord 12 Bar Reserve.   It's another small-batch blend of classic Dickel flavors,  at 12 years.   I tried it side by side with the 16 (the 2 both dance right at Jimmy's proof,  at 50.4 amd 50.6 respectively),   with the 16 punching out the oak and the Three Chord luxuriating in silk.     

Opened up the 3 amigos. Gonna find a cool dark place for them to mingle together, mostly so I don’t see it and drink it all 🙃

8DFF050B-FBB8-4900-8D17-218E4DB41A97.jpeg

a true “small batch”. I’m going to experiment with ratios. 

Edited by TehRegion219
  • I like it 4

Purchased and opened this bad boy today. I’m a Booker’s fan, and I’d heard some very good things about the new 2021-02 Tagalong Batch. 

Lucky for me, my sources were right. This is terrific stuff. The most dessert-y Booker’s I’ve come across in a long time. I’m thinking I might need to add another to the bunker. 

F9C0EC55-E97E-4EB2-AEB9-9E16A1DB2CF4.jpeg

• I like it 5

Fresh 1783 unscrewing. Not bad at all, going to be adding a few to the bunker for a change of pace when I feel like having something low proof. Easy sipper (expected at 90 proof) with pleasant typical bourbon flavors upfront and and an almost sweet apple finish (both on the lighter side). No rough edges that I can detect at this point (only a couple sips in).

934DCFA6-35D1-40CE-9BF1-ACA05FA03A42.jpeg

Edited by M777
  • I like it 4

I recently finished off one handle of my 2021 Weller Blend. I decided to open another. 😋

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

On 8/7/2021 at 10:57 PM, Kepler said:

Old and new. 

20210807_224042.jpg

Really nice pic!

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

Time to finally open one of these up!

20210814_214423.jpg

About time!

• I like it 2

Over the weekend I opened a bottle of ECBP B920, 1792 Small Batch, WT Rare Breed and a Rebel Yell 10yr SB. Plenty of good reinforcements from the basement.

• I like it 3

The Michters BP rye has always been a favorite and this bottle did not disappoint. Was hoping for more from the OF Rye, but this was not close. Despite giving 15 pf points it was Michters in a landslide. 

A1D2636B-6308-4469-ABA4-B2C3DB53AED8.jpeg

• I like it 3

On 7/31/2021 at 8:35 AM, JakeySnakes said:

IMG_2082.jpg

Mine is long gone too.  I loved it,  but like you didn't get a back up.    The wheat recipe I bunkered a few extras,  but IMO the rye recipe is better.

• I like it 1

Woodinville!  Went down this weekend to Maryland to see my brother in law,  where to my astonishment they had what the store said was some of the first Woodinville on the east coast.   The single barrel pick was amazing;  the best craft bourbon I've ever had, hands down.   The port cask was good too,  but the full proof single barrel killed me.

20210816_232654.jpg

• I like it 1

On 8/16/2021 at 8:35 PM, Jazzhead said:

Woodinville!  Went down this weekend to Maryland to see my brother in law,  where to my astonishment they had what the store said was some of the first Woodinville on the east coast.   The single barrel pick was amazing;  the best craft bourbon I've ever had, hands down.   The port cask was good too,  but the full proof single barrel killed me.

Yeah, Woodinville SiB CS helped change how I thought about craft bourbon.  It's a different profile than products from the big boys but it's quite delicious.  You can tell they don't cut any corners.  Wilderness Trail puts out some really good stuff, as well. 

• I like it 1

29 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Yeah, Woodinville SiB CS helped change how I thought about craft bourbon.  It's a different profile than products from the big boys but it's quite delicious.  You can tell they don't cut any corners.  Wilderness Trail puts out some really good stuff, as well. 

The quality craft distillers are already putting out juice to rival the legacy distillers.   Yeserday, I sampled the Woodinville single barrel against a Smoke Wagon Uncut 'n Unfiltered (which is well-curated MGP).   The Woodinville measured up in every way.   

I agree that WT is  doing things right, including with respect to one thing that too many craft distillers hope you don't notice - time in barrel.  

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.