What Bourbon Did You Pass On Spring/Summer 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I “figuratively” passed on ER today @ $24.99. I was online doing a little bourbon research. One page I was on had a pop up add for several bourbons. Among them was ER. I’ve never bought a bottle online before, but the price on this really interested me. So, I clicked on the link. It was for a 375 ml bottle. 🤬

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

3 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Ouch... and this was only the harbinger of prices to come during my walk this morning.

Ouch indeed. 😳 Just for s**ts and giggles, what was the price on the Blanton’s? 😬

Biba! Joe

31 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Ouch... and this was only the harbinger of prices to come during my walk this morning.

AB4C2471-1D14-4973-BA08-19F223F46E21.thumb.jpeg.5ea6d476759d48befef56e8fc0f3bfe1.jpeg

I might have needed an adult diaper walking there because I would've laughed so hard that i pissed myself.   At least teh Garrison Brothers was on sale.  🤣

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

AB4C2471-1D14-4973-BA08-19F223F46E21.thumb.jpeg.5ea6d476759d48befef56e8fc0f3bfe1.jpeg

I assume the JBW next to it was about $150, then?

59 minutes ago, lemonman said:

I assume the JBW next to it was about $150, then?

Nope, everything outside of the case is standard MSRP. This used to be a viable shop, but they’ve obviously succumbed to the stupidity. 

Saw WT Rare Breed Rye on the shelves for $47.99 which is the cheapest I've seen it out in the wild around my area but I had to pass.  Too bad I had just purchased a bottle a month ago at $59.99 which is the normal price I had been seeing it at here.

Two weeks ago I was told that I could purchase an un-priced Pappy 20 year for $3000. Of course I snorted and walked out without purchasing anything.

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, mal00768 said:

Two weeks ago I was told that I could purchase an un-priced Pappy 20 year for $3000. Of course I snorted and walked out without purchasing anything.

cheaper than in Louisville 

😂

At my local Total Wine yesterday.  I haven't seen this on the shelf for quite some time.  Wonder how long it will be there?  It sells out quite quickly at K&L for the same price.  I stopped buying it when it passed the $40 mark... 

HmK stacked.jpg

• I like it 1

My TW never had this in stock; they got a half-dozen in back when it was $40 and sold out in minutes.  I didn't see it for almost a year then one day 48 CASES were in a display on the floor at $60.  The are selling, I think there are about 8 cases left. 

On 9/14/2021 at 11:25 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

Ouch indeed. 😳 Just for s**ts and giggles, what was the price on the Blanton’s? 😬

Biba! Joe

$99.99— so they must have been deep in cases. Later that day I saw a $799.99 Weller CYPB in a historically non-gouging LS, I guess it’s coming to an end. 

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, fosmith said:

At my local Total Wine yesterday.  I haven't seen this on the shelf for quite some time.  Wonder how long it will be there?  It sells out quite quickly at K&L for the same price.  I stopped buying it when it passed the $40 mark... 

HmK stacked.jpg

US$34 was last I paid for it.  Our system now prices it $44 but ya have to get in line 6 am for 10 am store opening to get it.  With Evan Williams 8 yr for $32 hard to justify paying this premium.  But with that said, because fool and his money soon parted, I might consider $60 to see how it compares to older material...  like the barreled 9/3/04 screw top I just reached down below my office chair to be dramatic.  Did I succeed, please tell me I succeeded.  Just for tasters notes, I find the older screw top material better than recent.  All HH products loosing that floral I like.  I did get some florals in some 2011 Evan Williams 8 yr and really got good whiff in a recent HH offering but can't remember which.  

2 minutes ago, B.B. Babington said:

... All HH products loosing that floral I like.  I did get some florals in some 2011 Evan Williams 8 yr and really got good whiff in a recent HH offering but can't remember which.  

surprisingly, in my recent "dick head" mania, I have bottles from a Dickel BIB lot which has hints of these florals.  Only 1 lot out of about 12.  Surprised the heck out of me

• I like it 1

On 9/14/2021 at 4:08 PM, mal00768 said:

I don't even patron shops that pull this crap anymore.  I have a good grocery store with an excellent liquor/whiskey selection that is my primary shop.  And we have a TW&M, but they are much less personal and rarely get anything allocated.  I don't spend enough there to get offered anything good.

I passed on a lot of stuff lately.  The only thing I'm really looking for is the Wild Turkey ONE, Russell's Reserve 13 (still not released in my state, 4 months later....) and possibly the Jack Daniels 10 year.  Besides those, I've got most of what I want from the big brands.  I might seek out the Chattanooga Bottled in Bond fall release, because their Spring release was bonkers good.

I’ll have to open my 1783 before value sizing for next time. At least I know it exists along with the EW BiB

1141BED3-2EEF-47D1-8220-3F0ABDB2FCF8.jpeg

6 hours ago, TehRegion219 said:

I’ll have to open my 1783 before value sizing for next time. At least I know it exists along with the EW BiB

1141BED3-2EEF-47D1-8220-3F0ABDB2FCF8.jpeg

I'm floored with how good EW1783 is, drinks beyond just 90 proof.

• I like it 3

enjoying a trip to chicago visiting colleges with my daughter. Spent lots of time here 20ish years ago, before i was into Bourbon. It's cool seeing the different options around the city (N side) vs. Colorado, where I live:  VOB100, JTS brown, rando store picks, etc. I am seeing lots of OWA and Stagg jr, even some BTAC, but at consistently stupid prices. Picked up an over-priced BT Kosher wheat (70$) though, and it's good. I was in at least 5 different stores that had the 107 for 179$. yeah, no. 

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, steven s said:

enjoying a trip to chicago visiting colleges with my daughter. Spent lots of time here 20ish years ago, before i was into Bourbon. It's cool seeing the different options around the city (N side) vs. Colorado, where I live:  VOB100, JTS brown, rando store picks, etc. I am seeing lots of OWA and Stagg jr, even some BTAC, but at consistently stupid prices. Picked up an over-priced BT Kosher wheat (70$) though, and it's good. I was in at least 5 different stores that had the 107 for 179$. yeah, no. 

VOB100 is pretty common here, hard to beat under $13 (Had to buy 5 to get @ $12.99), as for BT Kosher line $70-79 seems to be retail.  I saw it at a large chain that does not do markups for $79.

Binny's I assume? I love the VOB100 for the $, we don't see it here in CO. I spent one more day exploring the city of chicago (N. side), and popped into 5 or so more shops. Blanton's well over $100, OWA at the best price i've seen here (150??!!) Taylor SmB $99, etc. How are the suburbs compared to the city on price and selection? Glad to be heading back to CO as far as bourbon shopping goes...

Aside from RR13 and the obvious LE unicorns, I'm not really looking for anything though. Well, maybe more OWA and W12 at fair prices.

Fun to shop in completely different markets though.

Edited by steven s

I've not been buying much lately but will certainly reconsider buying any HH product after hearing about how they are treating their people. 

Just me personally, don't think I can give them another dollar until they fully fix the mess they've made go bad to worse by playing a game of chicken with the union.  

Max, I know you're a good man.  Please do right by the workers who have made you, your family, and HH so wildly successful.  

• I like it 1

On 9/15/2021 at 7:50 PM, Marekv8 said:

$99.99— so they must have been deep in cases. Later that day I saw a $799.99 Weller CYPB in a historically non-gouging LS, I guess it’s coming to an end. 

I saw $99 for Blanton's at a smaller chain near me a couple weeks ago, too

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.