What Bourbon Did You Pass On Spring/Summer 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Easy pass on the McKenna at that number.   And ol Kenny’s in New Smyrna Beach is huffin glue again…

A580964F-8208-4B74-A7D5-9D65BC818259.jpeg

8C8339C0-E1D3-4416-887C-2AA343D8E77F.jpeg

Edited by JT3NSB
  • I like it 3

Was out of town in Tennessee this past weekend and went into a local LS to scope out the bourbon section. I briefly got excited to see some EHT smb and ER on the counter, but when I asked for the prices I had to try hard to keep a straight face at the $99.99 price for the EHT and $47.99 for the ER. They also has 2 bottles of Blanton's on the shelf for low price of $137.99.

On 8/29/2021 at 8:39 AM, JT3NSB said:

Easy pass on the McKenna at that number.   And ol Kenny’s in New Smyrna Beach is huffin glue again…

Yep, because that's what we look for in a good bourbon, the burn...

• I like it 1

Even after a day, this is so ridiculous.  I find myself unable to satirize the Instagram post.  It's like a parody of itself.  OK, I'll try.

AP - Smyrna Beach, FL

Florida man pays $299.99 plus tax for 750ml bottle of of Stagg Jr.

• I like it 5

Easy pass on McKenna at half that price ...wow. 

• I like it 1

51 minutes ago, yobber76 said:

Turned down a Weller FP store pick at $250. Went to another store and landed Weller Antique 107 for $60.

Nice!  I’ve been looking to add a OWA for a bit. Paid 90 last bottle. 

3 hours ago, dwightschrute said:

Nice!  I’ve been looking to add a OWA for a bit. Paid 90 last bottle. 

It's crazy. I stumbled onto the OWA as they were set up to sell bottles to their Bourbon Club members. I'm not in the club, but one of the guys recognized me and let me pick a bottle.

I'm starting to play with sipping quality Tequila, much easier to find excellent taste at reasonable price.

On a journey of Reposado currently.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, yobber76 said:

It's crazy. I stumbled onto the OWA as they were set up to sell bottles to their Bourbon Club members. I'm not in the club, but one of the guys recognized me and let me pick a bottle.

I'm starting to play with sipping quality Tequila, much easier to find excellent taste at reasonable price.

On a journey of Reposado currently.

Yeah, I remember when OWA and regular MM were about the same price - $20 something.  No Mickey Mouse games either. 🤪

If you haven't, post some notes on the Tequila thread.

• I like it 1

I'm a big fan of bonded whiskey in general.

I spotted a couple new ones - Rossville Union B.I.B. Bourbon, and a bonded Bourbon from Spirits Of French Lick.  These are from distilleries in Indiana - Lawrenceburg, IN (MGP), the other French Lick, IN.

I don't know.  The out the door price on either of these ends up between $50 and $60.  That's sort of steep. 😮 

McKenna for what ???  Did I read that right?  I was appalled when it jumped from $34 to $44 here.  I don't buy it at $44.  

And did that really say $300 for Stagg Jr.???  Who cares about barrel pick, they're all the same.  What has this world become.  I wouldn't' even get Stagg Jr at $50.

There's lots of super tremendous alternatives, lonely and waiting for you on the shelf.  And don't forget whisky... Steve (flahute) please don't ban me.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

McKenna for what ???  Did I read that right?  I was appalled when it jumped from $34 to $44 here.  I don't buy it at $44.  

And did that really say $300 for Stagg Jr.???  Who cares about barrel pick, they're all the same.  What has this world become.  I wouldn't' even get Stagg Jr at $50.

There's lots of super tremendous alternatives, lonely and waiting for you on the shelf.  And don't forget whisky... Steve (flahute) please don't ban me.

i hear ya, but stagg jr at $50.... buy for me

• I like it 1

Just so happened to walk into a store at a couple minutes past 10 am yesterday. I found out they were releasing their Weller Full Proof store pick at 10 am. $174.99. No thanks. A 1792 full proof for $60 came home with me though. 

1 hour ago, CUfan99 said:

Just so happened to walk into a store at a couple minutes past 10 am yesterday. I found out they were releasing their Weller Full Proof store pick at 10 am. $174.99. No thanks. A 1792 full proof for $60 came home with me though. 

I cant wrap my brain around if BT Likes the hype and the 3xMSRP - or do they get upset and pull this stores picks going forward.

8 hours ago, geclbxf said:

I cant wrap my brain around if BT Likes the hype and the 3xMSRP - or do they get upset and pull this stores picks going forward.

BT makes a show about not liking it but they have to pretend that way to appear to be a victim right alongside the consumer. Also, the distributor got that pick for the store so BT doesn’t even know what they’re charging. 

I was in a whisky-buyin' mood yesterday but couldn't fathom paying $160 for the new Little Book Chapter 5.   That's on top of the latest Booker's release being raised to $100.   Thank goodness for OF and WT.     

• I like it 4

Yesterday I stopped into a local LS that I haven't been to for quite a while.  They had RR 13yr for $550, Weller CYPB for $600, W12 for $300 and Booker's Tag Along for $129.  Then I remembered why I stopped going there...  I did get a bottle of Ancient Age for $11, though, since it's my new favorite freezer bourbon. 

• I like it 5

10 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

BT makes a show about not liking it but they have to pretend that way to appear to be a victim right alongside the consumer. Also, the distributor got that pick for the store so BT doesn’t even know what they’re charging. 

It's all about moving large quantities of the common stuff - to get offered the "allocated" brands.

I don't even know if BT makes a show about not liking it.  My mother used to say "In the end, people do what they want".

• I like it 2

I passed on Russell's Reserve Private Barrel Selection Single Barrel at one of the local grocery chains.  They had a few bottles in the locked cabinet for $63.  The price would be $53.99 with a 15% discount.  I am not familiar with the PBS version.  I assume this is a barrel selection specific to this store or the distributor and was not actually picked out by knowledgeable bourbon selectors.  However, anything RR is usually good and the price is right.  I might go back and pick up a bottle or two, if they are still available.

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I passed on Russell's Reserve Private Barrel Selection Single Barrel...  I might go back and pick up a bottle or two, ...

If it's the high proof iteration, something to consider

1 minute ago, B.B. Babington said:

If it's the high proof iteration, something to consider

Yessir, it is the 110 proof version.  Thus, the price is right.  I can typically find the standard 110 proof version for around $63.

On 9/6/2021 at 2:30 PM, fosmith said:

Yesterday I stopped into a local LS that I haven't been to for quite a while.  They had RR 13yr for $550,...

I'm seriously jonesing for this one.  I'd grab at $200, at $500 I'm nervous, because I do have this credit card....

1 minute ago, mbroo5880i said:

Yessir, it is the 110 proof version.  ...

yea, that might be consideration if ya like that product.  sometimes "select" means nothing and sometimes it's quite good, depends on who selects.  I still nurture a 4R store select from georgia from 12 years ago, the guy picking that treasure knew what he was doing.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.