What Bourbon Did You Pass On Spring/Summer 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

9 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I am sure out-of-towners would be all over stuff they cannot get at home.  Do they normally put this stuff on the shelf or do they keep it behind the counter and the e-mail is to alert "VIPs" they have it?

Place has a glass case near the registers where they put LE bourbons and single malts.  Emails let us locals know what just hit the store and will be in the glass case next week.  BUT!, second tier LEs and the occasional store picks can be on the shelf at only slightly above MSRP OR if you ask nicely if they have "other stuff", they may mention what might be in the back room.  The store is near several high end hotels, so I can't really criticize their sales practices as their walk-in customers likely can afford anything at any price.  If one is careful, though, one can find the occasional bargain in there although one MUST be careful.

• I like it 4

4 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Place has a glass case near the registers where they put LE bourbons and single malts.  Emails let us locals know what just hit the store and will be in the glass case next week.  BUT!, second tier LEs and the occasional store picks can be on the shelf at only slightly above MSRP OR if you ask nicely if they have "other stuff", they may mention what might be in the back room.  The store is near several high end hotels, so I can't really criticize their sales practices as their walk-in customers likely can afford anything at any price.  If one is careful, though, one can find the occasional bargain in there although one MUST be careful.

Fair enough.  They are in business to make money and stay in business.  As long as you have a chance and a choice, that is all you can ask for.  The market dictates the price and location dictates the market.  We may not always like availability or price when available but we are consumers as are all of their other customers.  We can decide where and when to spend our money.  Everyone wants unlimited and reasonably priced access to LEs but unfortunately that game has changed.  I have given up looking for LEs and continue to search for bargains.

• I like it 3

21 hours ago, Kepler said:

They had a big stash in their room off to the side of their "Will call" area.  Not really the back room, so they could easily let customers go through a few boxes of their choice at the will call counter.  I wasn't asking them to go through every box but just let me check a few boxes.  It was their rigid refusal to let me do anything other than say "thank you sir, I'll take whatever you give me" ... it rubbed me the wrong way.  I've bought lots of Blanton's in locations in several states and I've never seen that attitude before.  Excuse me TW but we are the customer and you are the seller.

That's sort of like if you went to buy a bicycle, and the retailer said "you'll just get whatever color we give you".

• I like it 2

On 8/20/2021 at 9:09 PM, mbroo5880i said:

I am heading that way for dinner tomorrow night and was thinking about stopping by.  I think I will opt for a few other retailers where I know I can find what I want for a fair price.  

I say check the web site ahead of time.  You very well may find something interesting or a deal.  This is particularly the case with items that are not whiskey.  They do have several daily drinker type Bourbons that still seem to fly under the radar there.  I have zero expectation they would ever help me with "allocated" whiskey.  Spirits Direct whiskey is bottom shelf well liquor with a fancy label, no matter what they say.    

• I like it 1

Little store in Yipsilanti MI had just received some Blanton in 375.  6 sitting on the shelf for the taking.  64.99 ea for 375.   Easy pass for me..

• I like it 4

Stagg Jr. for $250.  Guy had 5 bottles and thought I was driving home with one until he said price. 

• I like it 3

29 minutes ago, dwightschrute said:

Stagg Jr. for $250.  Guy had 5 bottles and thought I was driving home with one until he said price. 

so they come in a case of 6.

someone maybe actually bought one.

🤔😳

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, 0895 said:

so they come in a case of 6.

someone maybe actually bought one.

🤔😳

Lol sadly they probably sell.  I saw two more stores with them out behind register for 299.  

23 hours ago, dwightschrute said:

Haha…I had a similar experience at an out of state store a couple weeks ago. Walked in checked the shelves, everything looks pretty reasonable but nothing jumping out at me. Then I see some Little Book and Old Fitz BiB up by the front. I can’t believe my luck…

…so I asked the price on the Old Fitz. Dude says with a straight face, “$599.99”! I literally laughed out loud and walked directly out of the store!

The crazy thing is I would have probably paid 2x MSRP, just because I’ve never had one. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, CPBourbon said:

Haha…I had a similar experience at an out of state store a couple weeks ago. Walked in checked the shelves, everything looks pretty reasonable but nothing jumping out at me. Then I see some Little Book and Old Fitz BiB up by the front. I can’t believe my luck…

…so I asked the price on the Old Fitz. Dude says with a straight face, “$599.99”! I literally laughed out loud and walked directly out of the store!

The crazy thing is I would have probably paid 2x MSRP, just because I’ve never had one. 

I’m the same man.  Not that I should, I’d pay 2x for some just due to availability and my perceived notion of helping the little stores.  Not to mention, I’d buy my other stuff, 1920, Rare Breed etc., to give them business.  

• I like it 2

On 8/22/2021 at 7:15 PM, dwightschrute said:

New shipment of StaggJr showing up in these here parts - still $49.99 OTD.  But BT allotments severly cut so finding even 1 will be a trial of patience and stamina.   😳

• I like it 3

Old Rip van Winkle for 750 and 12yr for 1000.  Saw it sitting there behind counter, so at least I got the rush of actually seeing in wild.  

4 hours ago, dwightschrute said:

Old Rip van Winkle for 750 and 12yr for 1000.  Saw it sitting there behind counter, so at least I got the rush of actually seeing in wild.  

I would at least want to touch it.  "Can I see the label, please?"

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, G L Tirebiter said:

I would at least want to touch it.  "Can I see the label, please?"

Lol should have.  

Funny enough,

Several years ago I had a store clerk get visibly mad at me for opening a CEHT BP tube to verify the correct bottle was actually in the tube, what batch (proof) it was, and check the year laser code.

He claimed I ruined the air tight seal and now “must” purchase the bottle, because collectors wouldn’t want it.

I laughed, put it back together and purchased the bottle (it was a fair price).

🤷🏻‍♂️

• I like it 5

18 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Funny enough,

Several years ago I had a store clerk get visibly mad at me for opening a CEHT BP tube to verify the correct bottle was actually in the tube, what batch (proof) it was, and check the year laser code.

He claimed I ruined the air tight seal and now “must” purchase the bottle, because collectors wouldn’t want it.

🤷🏻‍♂️

I would've left it on the shelf just to tick him off more :).

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, PhantomLamb said:

I would've left it on the shelf just to tick him off more :).

Me too but that's pretty on brand for me. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

Funny enough,

🤷🏻‍♂️

I would have bumped into him, dropped it on the floor and started yelling in Chinese as I walked out the store - "Me no pay, you drop!  Me no pay, you drop!"   🤣

• I like it 8

That all would have been hilarious, and ordinarily I’m game for those shenanigans.

😂

I didn’t buy it because he said so.

It was already getting very hard to find back then.

• I like it 3

11 hours ago, 0895 said:

Funny enough,

🤷🏻‍♂️

If there is a box or tube or anything like that, I always open it at the register before I pay.  I told one lady that has worked in the same store for a long time "I just want to make sure the correct bottle is in there".  She said "Oh yes, I know someone that bought a bottle of Pappy in Kentucky, got home and discovered a younger version inside the cloth bag".  I guess the poor s.o.b. paid for 20 and got Lot B.  The cashier lady totally agreed with me.  As a matter of fact, some savvy store clerks will check at the register to be sure it's all OK.

• I like it 2

On 8/25/2021 at 11:12 AM, 0895 said:

Funny enough,

🤷🏻‍♂️

Nothing on earth is more "air tight" than a porous cardboard tube with a piece of metal glued to the bottom  🙄

• I like it 3

3 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Nothing on earth is more "air tight" than a porous cardboard tube with a piece of metal glued to the bottom  🙄

and yet it’s the absolute best at keeping taters fresh…😂

• I like it 4

Cruised by a couple of of local stores today, Passed on McKenna 10-yr at $130, Parker's Heritage at $400, EHT BIB $200 at one store, $300 at the other, etc.  The usual madness in California.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.