What bourbon did you purchase today (Summer 2021)

MTNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I feel you for the most part.... At least when it comes to their employees being pushed to sell their own products and how they handle the allocated stuff.... But TW generally has good prices on anything that isn't allocated, and their selection is quite large.

With allocated stuff I think it goes store by store.  Some or most do lotteries. I don't think mine does, at least not for items such as Weller's or ECBP or Blanton's.  It's all get there early during the week and hope you get lucky kind of thing. I've scored all kinds of stuff like that.  I don't even ask about the really hard to find stuff.

But taking the hard to find stuff out of the equation, they have nice, newer, large, clean stores with a large selection. Aside from their employees, which are easy to ignore, it's a nice place to buy liquor.

5 hours ago, Kepler said:

That is a phrase I have truly never uttered.  Not a fan of that store at all.

In my neck of the woods anyway (Texas) Total Wine sucks and never "comes through."  Their "Grand Reserve" member lotteries are a joke. 

In Texas anyway, Spec's is the way to go as far as big box chain retailers go.  Much better store if you ask me, with better customer service and still great prices (usually better prices than TW for the hard-to-find or allocated products, but TW sometimes beats Spec's prices on every day shelf items).  To be honest, I could give a flip about who beats who by a few dollars -- if one store has better customer service and still decent prices, that's the store I'm going to shop at.

Exactly— Spec’s does it right. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

Exactly— Spec’s does it right. 

Ha, ha - even the mangers at Spec's in Austin and College Station remember me by name!  Hmmm, time to go back to Tejas, ya' think?   😂

• I like it 1

It's good to know a  manager or two..  

This was a busy week, as I added more to the collection (or is it a hoarding of whiskey?  whatever)  Made a point to run errands on delivery days of local stores so stcoked up a little more aggressively than I normally will.   Especially happy to find some Bookers for the first time.  

Expect I will be well stocked when the big liquor shortage occurs

Four Roses Single Barrel

Old Overholt 11 year Rye

EW BiB

EW SmBatch

OGD BiB

Penelope Barrel Strength

Bookers (Tag A Long Batch)

Additions from the last couple of days. 

My brother, in NY, picked up the Smoke Wagon for me at a bit under $50 a bottle. It's a solid drink for that price. In Texas, it can be found behind glass, next to Stagg and Blanton's, for around $100 a bottle. 🙄

IMG_20210805_171743082.jpg

IMG_20210806_155000814_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210808_090902.jpg

Edited by WhiskeyProposition
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, G L Tirebiter said:

It's good to know a  manager or two..  

This was a busy week, as I added more to the collection (or is it a hoarding of whiskey?  whatever)  Made a point to run errands on delivery days of local stores so stcoked up a little more aggressively than I normally will.   Especially happy to find some Bookers for the first time.  

Expect I will be well stocked when the big liquor shortage occurs

Four Roses Single Barrel

Old Overholt 11 year Rye

EW BiB

EW SmBatch

OGD BiB

Penelope Barrel Strength

Bookers (Tag A Long Batch)

I see you’re in “western Pennsyltucky.” Any chance you’re in the Pittsburgh area? There are a couple of us whiskey lovers on this site from the ‘Burgh. 

On 8/1/2021 at 6:18 PM, Richdel said:

I bought the same one from TW.    Must have been multiple barrels  as mine was  20-0108.  Distilled date was a couple days later @ 12/5/2011, and dumped date a couple days earlier @ 12/9/20.  Botlling date was the same.  I am interested to find out what you think of your barrel.  This was my 1rst RRSiB, wasn't "wowed", but I thought it was good to very good.  Wondering if the TW PS are just given to them, or if they choose them?  Might make a difference in my buying prefs moving forward.

I’ve heard TW buying a whole row of barrels.  Doubt they're trying them and only taking the better barrels.  I mean I assume only better barrels, 8+ years from the honey spots of the better rickhouses are offered but still considering that TW charges a premium don’t see the point of getting RRSB PS from TW over a random non PS bottle.

13 hours ago, Kepler said:

In my neck of the woods anyway (Texas) Total Wine sucks and never "comes through."  Their "Grand Reserve" member lotteries are a joke. 

In Texas anyway, Spec's is the way to go as far as big box chain retailers go.  Much better store if you ask me, with better customer service and still great prices (usually better prices than TW for the hard-to-find or allocated products, but TW sometimes beats Spec's prices on every day shelf items).  To be honest, I could give a flip about who beats who by a few dollars -- if one store has better customer service and still decent prices, that's the store I'm going to shop at.

Yeah I agree with

this.  I do end up going to TW more often than I’d like as there’s one I can almost see from my front door and I end walking there a lot, they have WT101 rye for $17.

I spoke to a TW manager at one of the STL branches back in '19. He explained that he and a few others do the barrel picks for the area stores. I realize many of the employees at TW push the brands like Two Star and Winchester (or whatever it is), but this guy seemed knowledgeable and sincere. TW isn't my goto store, but I have had some nice picks from them. 

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, Kepler said:

The TW method when they come into a new market is to lose money for a while to draw customers away from established stores. If those stores go out of business TW then raises their prices by a lot.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, flahute said:

The TW method when they come into a new market is to lose money for a while to draw customers away from established stores. If those stores go out of business TW then raises their prices by a lot.

Just like the scorpion said to the frog, "It's what I (they) do!"  🤬

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 2

54 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

You worked there didn’t you? You should tell us some stories.

54 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Oops double post.

• I like it 1

Somebody please take my wallet.

ECBP B521

New Riff BIB

Old Barton 100

Pursuit United

Nulu California Exclusive

Remus 5

Calumet 15

Obtanium 13-year store pick

Palm Springs store haul.jpg

• I like it 1

21 minutes ago, IamMatt said:

Somebody please take my wallet.

ECBP B521

New Riff BIB

Old Barton 100

Pursuit United

Nulu California Exclusive

Remus 5

Calumet 15

Obtanium 13-year store pick

Palm Springs store haul.jpg

Can send you my shipping information for that wallet... :) 

• I like it 1

Didn't go out this morning with the intention to go bourbon shopping, but that's what I wound up doing around noon at two of my "out of the way" LS where I usually find something worthwhile.  Nothing at the first place, at least nothing that I purchased.  A bit luckier at the 2nd stop.  I ran into a shelf of ECBP B521 at $75.  Already have one, unopened in the bunker, so I passed.  But I also found another single bottle (last one) of Larceny BP B521.  Since the one I purchased a couple weeks back is in the on-deck circle to be opened, I decided to pull the trigger.  A little pricy at $75 OTD, the same I paid for the first one, but I convinced myself I would not find another so home she came.

On 8/8/2021 at 11:23 AM, Rhettro said:

I see you’re in “western Pennsyltucky.” Any chance you’re in the Pittsburgh area? There are a couple of us whiskey lovers on this site from the ‘Burgh. 

Yes,  I'm out near Murrysville,  east of the city. 

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, G L Tirebiter said:

Yes,  I'm out near Murrysville,  east of the city. 

Oh sweet. I pass thru Murrysville a few times a month on my way to the in-laws in Johnstown. 

Well once you’re able to send messages, drop me a line and we can swap digits and such. Like I said, there are a couple of us Pittsburghers that look out for one another and such. Happy to loop you in. 

• I like it 1

Will do.   How many posts until that ?  I can't find a FAQ here.  thx

10 minutes ago, G L Tirebiter said:

I believe you have to hit a certain post count - basically contribute positively to the community for X amount of time and you’ll unlock messaging. I’m sure someone more knowledgeable (and with a better memory than me) can chime in with the specifics. 

Picked up G. Dickel BiB 13 year today.  I wasn’t out looking for it but happen to stop by when it was being stocked.   I haven’t tried it yet but hoping for the best. 

• I like it 1

I think it’s 10 posts?  Quality of those posts is subjective and graded on the Curve… 😜

44 minutes ago, G L Tirebiter said:

32 minutes ago, Rhettro said:

I believe you have to hit a certain post count - basically contribute positively to the community for X amount of time and you’ll unlock messaging. I’m sure someone more knowledgeable (and with a better memory than me) can chime in with the specifics. 

• I like it 1

Picked up a BT store pick today while traveling for work this week.

The nose on this is arguably better than the sip, but it’s a decent pick.

BT is $11 per 1.5 oz pour at the bar and Im probably good for more than the cost of this bottle going that route this week.  Not good enough to check the bag for whatever remains in the bottle, so it’s going to the housekeepers.  😂

B269B8D8-3802-4145-BACE-C07A38560A58.jpeg

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.